• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lavy System is flawed!

TimKerrRules#12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The Flyers have no answer for the trap, even in game #2 they had 18 turnovers, a game that most people say they played good???? The Bruins flood the neutral zone, wait for a turnover, then they counter with jailbreaks that the Flyers just can't handle.
Lavy has had no plan of attack for this whole series, and the regular season to, teams that play the trap give the Flyers fits, hello Tampa is another team.

The forwards collapse to the goalie in this system, leaving the pointmen for Boston wideopen, flawed.

Sad part of this is the Bruins have doing this for years to the Flyers with no answer, especially at home.

Someone tell me the last time the Flyers had a solid win at home aginst the Bruins? 2 wins in last years playoffs were an ot winner in game 4, and game 6 they got the lead early to hold on for dear life.

Thomas is 8-0 career in Philly, how fucking pathedic is that.

Last edited by a moderator:

KS32790

SHOOOOOOOOOT IT !!!!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldnt call it flawed but it definitely needs some changes. It did not seem to click towards the end of the season. Lots of dump ins with no pressure when there werent line changes. I blame the boys being over worked with last years playoff run and ran out of gas in Feb.

jerseyjigroe

Experience Quality Trust
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The system doesn't work when the players aren't skating hard.

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If your having trap problems pull up footage of last years run rd 1 vs the devils.your speed and crisp passing destroyed our trap and once you guys gained the zone you killed us on the boards.You guys are more than capable of beating the trap I've seen it one to many times.The skill is there is carter back yet?

jerseyjigroe

Experience Quality Trust
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If your having trap problems pull up footage of last years run rd 1 vs the devils.your speed and crisp passing destroyed our trap and once you guys gained the zone you killed us on the boards.You guys are more than capable of beating the trap I've seen it one to many times.The skill is there is carter back yet?

Carter is back but no where close to being 100%.

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Carter is back but no where close to being 100%.

Say what you want about carter he has been a devil killer over the years.even at less than a hundred percent he will be good to have back.haven't seen much of the series but it dies seem like a lot of teams are playing trap.not sure what you guys changed our trap gave you fits this year but last year you guys dominated our trap in both the po's and regular season.if I were lavy I would look at some tape from last year.

SLY

Mr. Knowitall
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Carter did nothing last night...

ProppRules

Flyers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I agree that the players have to work the system for it to work. BUt the system has to work as well. I don't think the system is that flawed, but it seems very hard to get back on track after a slump.
And I still think that Lavi's handling of the 3 goalies over the last 10 games is ridiculous, and humiliating to the team, and the franchise. Either have faith in your rookie and run with him. Or don't/

TimKerrRules#12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The system is flawed only when they play trapping teams. Almost every team plays the trap at times, but Tampa/Boston/Jersey/Minny will do it all game long. With a lead these teams are leathal.

Puck pressure in the offensive zone is fine, that part of the system is usually good, but the Flyers should trap like Boston is doing. Or play the 1-5 like they did in Chicago this year, that will frustrate any team. The collapsing down low by forwards is flawed, especially because Bostons D holds the blueline. That part I can't understand why the coaching staff hasn't adjusted to. Look how long it took for them to finally put Richy back on the point on the pp, and why was Carter and Richards back together last game, with Versteeg??? Fuck Off

IT WOULD ALSO HELP TO GET SOLID GOALTENDING, GET A LEAD AND TRAP, AND WIN A BLODDY FACEOFF TO.

Last edited by a moderator:

anderwho2513

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The trap exists because it works against all systems. The Flyers couldn't break it under Hitchcock or Barber or Stevens or Murray or Ramsey or anyone else. Don't blame Laviolette for being the next in a long list of coaches who couldn't figure out the trap.

And what jersey said.

indyflyr

Da Oracle
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
what all teams who struggle against the trap must first do is dump and chase the puck 100% of the time. it's boring and frustrating to do, which is why the flyers to a man rarely even tried. half of all rushes become turnovers then. they just couldn't bring themselves to dump it in. only when you commit to dump and chase will their dmen start abandoning their assignments early in order to make their lives easier by getting back to the puck to avoid punishment from forecheckers. but i knew, you knew and certainly boston knew that this group of flyers loves to carry the puck and dangle.

having said that trapping only works when your goalie is great. thomas was very brodueresque in this series. gotta give him credit.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The system doesn't work when the players aren't skating hard.

Exactly. The game four loss was a foregone conclusion and so much so that I didn't even bother to watch the game live last night. Why? First off, I may not have even been able to watch it all before work anyway, but mostly because I knew it was going to be a lopsided loss. The effort just hasn't been there in any game of this series and our Flyers looked like a completely defeated team in game three, a game we should have had a ton of desperation for.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree that the players have to work the system for it to work. BUt the system has to work as well. I don't think the system is that flawed, but it seems very hard to get back on track after a slump.
And I still think that Lavi's handling of the 3 goalies over the last 10 games is ridiculous, and humiliating to the team, and the franchise. Either have faith in your rookie and run with him. Or don't/

Agreed but Lavy's system in the long run is successful if the players skate and put in an effort. Once Pronger got hurt and they went into cruise control it failed but any system would have. Look at game 7 against the sabres we were all fooled because the team showed up to play and the system magically worked against a very defense oriented system.

As for the D there's only so many guys with Prongers talent in the league. Homer went out and got Mez which was a brilliant move but he's not on the level of Pronger, Lidstrom, Chara, etc...so there is a drop off. I can't stand it when pen fans say there's no excuse because its not an excuse its fact when a lynchpin like Pronger goes down he's impossible to replace. They had a nice chemistry on D where Pronger supported Carle, Timonen supported Coburn and Mez supported OD but when you lose the lynchpin the wheels come off against a close to or equal opponent. Face it you need to be at your best when the other team is at their best and the rest of the guys couldn't pick up the slack.

Dead on with the goalies if Bob's your starter treat him like one and Bouch would have been one of the best backups in hockey. I believe if Bouch would have been labeled as the starter in Sept they would have realized he just wasn't good enough and they probably would have made a deadline deal for a goalie. That's just my opinion and unfortunately they found out in the playoffs he was good but not good enough. His glove is a little too slow and he's not consistent enough....even still if this team plays to its potential I thought either goalie was good enough to win a cup.

IMO they'll straighten some things out this summer and they'll be better for it. Maybe Carts has to be moved to be able to take this team to another level but that's another topic...still on the fence with moving Carle and Versteeg.