• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lattimore Story

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
yep, it would be a good problem if all the RB's showed well.

Cut My Red I Bleed Gold

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm a grown ass man and that thing had my eyes a little misty while eating in a taqueria. Reminds me a lot of gore in his attitude. This could be the nastiest NFL backfield in a long time.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
we can't keep all the RB's on the 53, so we'll see?

trade is more likely, but isn't another possibility......Lattimore back on PUP? if he doesn't show well, Lattimore on PS?

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

trade is more likely, but isn't another possibility......Lattimore back on PUP? if he doesn't show well, Lattimore on PS?

I could see a scenario in which we keep Gore, Hyde, Lattimore, Hunter, and James. It's somewhat unlikely, but not beyond the realm of possibility. A lot will hinge on James and his return duties, IMO. We might need Hyde to play on coverage units a la Dixon, as well.

Lattimore on PUP is possible. I wouldn't count on getting him to the PS.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
You know, the more I think about it, the more I think there is a pretty legitimate chance we keep five RBs on the 53.

Gore and Hunter are basically be locks to make it as our #1 and #2 RB. Hunter certainly isn't safe in that spot, but he's there now and neither Hyde nor Lattimore really profiles as a change-of-pace back at this point. It would be a very big surprise if Hunter didn't make the team - unless we end up trading him.

Hyde is not realistically cuttable at this point. He may be the safest guy at the position right now.

I can't see us cutting Lattimore if he shows much of anything. PUP is possible, but unlikely given his health thus far.

James is the most likely cut by far, but he's apparently looked like our best return man pretty comfortably lately (not sure if that's a sad commentary on our returners, or an indication that James' hands have improved....). If he wins that job outright, I think he's safe.

Perhaps most significantly, though, Gore and Hunter are both FAs next year. As things stand now, it's hard to imagine either one returning in 2015. And going into 2015 with just Hyde and an unknown Lattimore has to be a concern for a run-heavy team.

I think the likeliest scenario might be going into the season with five and seeing what the young guys have to offer. Once our injured/likely suspended player start returning (Bowman, Smith, and possibly Culliver), I could certainly see us making a move at RB if Hyde/Lattimore have shown enough and/or someone other than James has stepped up in the return game.

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can see Gore as the odd man out. His contract is just too large.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I don't think they would dump Gore this year

Yeah, I can't see it this year. Financially, it would make a ton of sense. In terms of productivity running the ball, it might as well. But Gore is the heart and soul of the team, particularly on offense. I just can't see them cutting him. They'll let him walk next year, but I would be pretty darn surprised if they cut him at this point. Though if the other guys show enough, it's certainly possible.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
You know, the more I think about it, the more I think there is a pretty legitimate chance we keep five RBs on the 53.

Gore and Hunter are basically be locks to make it as our #1 and #2 RB. Hunter certainly isn't safe in that spot, but he's there now and neither Hyde nor Lattimore really profiles as a change-of-pace back at this point. It would be a very big surprise if Hunter didn't make the team - unless we end up trading him.

Hyde is not realistically cuttable at this point. He may be the safest guy at the position right now.

I can't see us cutting Lattimore if he shows much of anything. PUP is possible, but unlikely given his health thus far.

James is the most likely cut by far, but he's apparently looked like our best return man pretty comfortably lately (not sure if that's a sad commentary on our returners, or an indication that James' hands have improved....). If he wins that job outright, I think he's safe.

Perhaps most significantly, though, Gore and Hunter are both FAs next year. As things stand now, it's hard to imagine either one returning in 2015. And going into 2015 with just Hyde and an unknown Lattimore has to be a concern for a run-heavy team.

I think the likeliest scenario might be going into the season with five and seeing what the young guys have to offer. Once our injured/likely suspended player start returning (Bowman, Smith, and possibly Culliver), I could certainly see us making a move at RB if Hyde/Lattimore have shown enough and/or someone other than James has stepped up in the return game.

five RB's plus Miller? a lot of things are possible, some highly, some unlikely, and many in between. I'm not anxious to get rid of one, but realistically.......don't see it? it works above because you're almost looking at RB's in a vacuum, but if you consider the entire TEAM.....just don't see it?

next year is a concern true, but you have to deal with this year's 53 first. you can't overstock a position thinking about next year, cause you'll 'undermine' another. for example, you can't enter the season with extra RB's, but short LB's (Bowman and Aldon).

they need to 'test' Lattimore first, then make major decisions. so I'd think he'll get more work than others from here till Sept.?

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
five RB's plus Miller? a lot of things are possible, some highly, some unlikely, and many in between. I'm not anxious to get rid of one, but realistically.......don't see it? it works above because you're almost looking at RB's in a vacuum, but if you consider the entire TEAM.....just don't see it?

next year is a concern true, but you have to deal with this year's 53 first. you can't overstock a position thinking about next year, cause you'll 'undermine' another. for example, you can't enter the season with extra RB's, but short LB's (Bowman and Aldon).

they need to 'test' Lattimore first, then make major decisions. so I'd think he'll get more work than others from here till Sept.?

Of course you can overstock a position thinking about next year. Teams that don't do that will run into trouble in the long run. You can't do it at the expense of leaving another position dangerously thin, but within reason that's what smart teams do.

As far as five RBs, I had all five guys on my initial roster projection a few weeks ago, and Maiocco has three as locks and two as looking good, so it's certainly possible to find room for five on the initial roster.

http://www.sportshoopla.com/forums/san-francisco-49ers/153694-roster-projection-kind.html

As I note in my projection, I think we end up going with five WRs (Crabtree, Boldin, Johnson, Patton, Ellington) and three TEs (Davis, McDonald, and either Carrier or Celek), which would open up a spot for a skill player on offense as compared with last year's roster (we carried either six WRs or four TEs pretty much all season, I think). Then factor in that we don't need quite the depth on defense that we might normally like to start the season as we're expecting to get 2-4 starting caliber players back during the season (forgot about Ian Williams above), and as said, I think there's a good chance we start with five RBs.

There's a lot that remains to be seen here, of course. I'm sure there will be some roster surprises, and the breakdown of STs spots isn't clear. Unless someone supplants James as the punt returner, though, I have trouble seeing who goes.

Which RB do you think doesn't make it, Deep? And who replaces that player?

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Of course you can overstock a position thinking about next year. Teams that don't do that will run into trouble in the long run. You can't do it at the expense of leaving another position dangerously thin, but within reason that's what smart teams do.

As far as five RBs, I had all five guys on my initial roster projection a few weeks ago, and Maiocco has three as locks and two as looking good, so it's certainly possible to find room for five on the initial roster.

http://www.sportshoopla.com/forums/san-francisco-49ers/153694-roster-projection-kind.html

As I note in my projection, I think we end up going with five WRs (Crabtree, Boldin, Johnson, Patton, Ellington) and three TEs (Davis, McDonald, and either Carrier or Celek), which would open up a spot for a skill player on offense as compared with last year's roster (we carried either six WRs or four TEs pretty much all season, I think). Then factor in that we don't need quite the depth on defense that we might normally like to start the season as we're expecting to get 2-4 starting caliber players back during the season (forgot about Ian Williams above), and as said, I think there's a good chance we start with five RBs.

There's a lot that remains to be seen here, of course. I'm sure there will be some roster surprises, and the breakdown of STs spots isn't clear. Unless someone supplants James as the punt returner, though, I have trouble seeing who goes.

Which RB do you think doesn't make it, Deep? And who replaces that player?

ok, if you're sticking with five, then your opinion is fine. again, not anxious to get rid of one. will still think four myself and I sort of answered your question already. it depends on how well Lattimore shows? Baalke can't make a decision till he knows what they got in him?

but knowing you, this answer isn't good enough right? :-)

knowing what we know TODAY, sticking with what was reported months ago.....LMJ is traded. who replaces him is too much speculation, cause now there is the possibility (not guaranteed) of signing a PR outside the team.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
ok, if you're sticking with five, then your opinion is fine. again, not anxious to get rid of one. will still think four myself and I sort of answered your question already. it depends on how well Lattimore shows? Baalke can't make a decision till he knows what they got in him?

but knowing you, this answer isn't good enough right? :-)

knowing what we know TODAY, sticking with what was reported months ago.....LMJ is traded. who replaces him is too much speculation, cause now there is the possibility (not guaranteed) of signing a PR outside the team.

Good enough, I suppose. It's just not much of a position. If we're going to have a discussion/debate, take a chance and make a prediction. No one knows what will happen at this point, so speculation is all we have. Speculating that "we could trade this guy, or cut this guy, or something else could happen" isn't really speculating or predicting at all. It's just listing the possible outcomes.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

we'd have to get other GM's really drunk to slip lattimore on the PS

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
we'd have to get other GM's really drunk to slip lattimore on the PS

maybe it depends how much you're swayed by his PAST reputation?

keep in mind this decision IF it ever gets there - would be made after at the last cut down. by then Lattimore would've practiced a lot in pads, and played in four pre-season games. if at that point he hasn't shown much, the PS is a possibility.

not predicting he'll go there by any means, and certainly not hoping he does poorly. guess I'm saying no guarantee he plays well?

whysies

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is literally a zero percent chance that

A) Lattimore ends up on the practice squad

or that

B) Gore gets cut this year

Book it bros. Literally zero percent chance either of those things happens. Both are impossible. Won't happen. Ever. Not a chance.

I agree with Crimson, the way this is shaping up I bet they keep 5 RBs, unless James really shits the bed (which I expect him to do sooner rather than later, but I could easily see him keeping his job at least to start the year).

supreme_clientele81

Supreme Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Patton can show he can handle punts I think LMJ stays in Baltimore after our 1st preseason game.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is literally a zero percent chance that

A) Lattimore ends up on the practice squad

or that

B) Gore gets cut this year

Book it bros. Literally zero percent chance either of those things happens. Both are impossible. Won't happen. Ever. Not a chance.

I agree with Crimson, the way this is shaping up I bet they keep 5 RBs, unless James really shits the bed (which I expect him to do sooner rather than later, but I could easily see him keeping his job at least to start the year).

While nothing is impossible, I tend to agree with you. I don't see either happening. To me, James is the most expendible. Hunter could probably take over his duties.

SeattleNinersFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I don't know, my view is probably pretty unpopular but I think Hunter is the most likely to go. The #2 will be either Hyde or Lattimore and LMJ stays on in a ST role or when needed a change of pace back. IIRC LMJ did a decent job filling in for hunter when hunter went down.

I like hunter but I don't see him filling in ST roles and his long term value is less than either Lattimore, assuming he gets back to at least 75% of what he was before, or Hyde.