• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lakers are going to be awful again in 2014-15!

TEB11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I watched about 15 minutes of the pre season game last night against the Warriors only to see the Lakers get down 31-11. You thought last year was bad, just wait. Lottery pick, AGAIN!!!!! :L

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Preseason dawg.

BUT...

There is something to keep an eye on. Scott said in training camp that for his offensive philosophy, he doesn't want to shoot 3s (just 10 to 15 a game) and wants to attack the basket. 10 to 15 threes a game is an absurdly low number. You're basically shooting yourself in the foot as a coach if you're limiting a team that much. If you look at that latest Ws game, the Lakers shot THREE 3-pointers all game. Game before that? 11. Before that? 10. That's way too low for the modern NBA. It's especially limiting if you're not drawing fouls either. The first GS game was ok with 36FTA but the Denver and 2nd GS game saw 22 and 17 respectively. Not a good trend and you're basically eliminating two of the three ways you score on offense because of a coaching choice.

Shooting a TON of 3s isn't necessary (like Houston or D'Antoni teams). You can limit them and make up the difference by drawing a lot of fouls. But you probably still need to be shooting 18 to 20 threes a game while being aggressive driving the ball to draw fouls. If you don't do either, you're left with long range 2 point shots, which have statistically been shown to be the worst shot in basketball. Teams that shoot lots of them coupled with minimal 3s and FTAs tend to finish well into the lottery (like 25 game winners).

It's preseason, and its still base system stuff, but something to watch as the season starts.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dang! I guess we're out of the running for that glorious pre-season championship trophy!

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Preseason dawg.

BUT...

There is something to keep an eye on. Scott said in training camp that for his offensive philosophy, he doesn't want to shoot 3s (just 10 to 15 a game) and wants to attack the basket. 10 to 15 threes a game is an absurdly low number. You're basically shooting yourself in the foot as a coach if you're limiting a team that much. If you look at that latest Ws game, the Lakers shot THREE 3-pointers all game. Game before that? 11. Before that? 10. That's way too low for the modern NBA. It's especially limiting if you're not drawing fouls either. The first GS game was ok with 36FTA but the Denver and 2nd GS game saw 22 and 17 respectively. Not a good trend and you're basically eliminating two of the three ways you score on offense because of a coaching choice.

Shooting a TON of 3s isn't necessary (like Houston or D'Antoni teams). You can limit them and make up the difference by drawing a lot of fouls. But you probably still need to be shooting 18 to 20 threes a game while being aggressive driving the ball to draw fouls. If you don't do either, you're left with long range 2 point shots, which have statistically been shown to be the worst shot in basketball. Teams that shoot lots of them coupled with minimal 3s and FTAs tend to finish well into the lottery (like 25 game winners).

It's preseason, and its still base system stuff, but something to watch as the season starts.

10-15 3's a game, with the occasional 18-20 when they are hitting them seems about right for this team. I agree with Scott about attacking the basket. That's where you get the opposing team in foul trouble which the Lakers didn't do a lot of last season.

I agree though that 3 is waaaaaay too low.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep, Count me in with TJF12 and Turkey on this three's issue.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a bit early to be making these kind of messages by the loco trolls, because it's still preseason with a new coach and new system that is preaching defense to a group of players that are scrubs. Scott has been known for turning things around so I think you have to give the guy a chance to establish himself

On that note, my main complaint at this point is that Scott doesn't like three point shots period. I think Miami won with an average of 21 when they won their last championship two years ago, but it has been said Scott does object to them when they team is set up for the best shot possible. He said the other night that the players didn't take any because their offensive system wasn't set up right. If the don't learn to develop some three's then it could be a long and miserable season

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a bit early to be making these kind of messages by the loco trolls, because it's still preseason with a new coach and new system that is preaching defense to a group of players that are scrubs. Scott has been known for turning things around so I think you have to give the guy a chance to establish himself

On that note, my main complaint at this point is that Scott doesn't like three point shots period. I think Miami won with an average of 21 when they won their last championship two years ago, but it has been said Scott does object to them when they team is set up for the best shot possible. He said the other night that the players didn't take any because their offensive system wasn't set up right. If the don't learn to develop some three's then it could be a long and miserable season

Scott's aversion to threes is the dumbest thing I've seen a coach say in a long time. He had some quote the other day about teams that shoot a lot of threes don't win championships which is patently false. It's like he hasn't watched any games in the last 15 years, even though he's been a coach and should know better. He then tried to say the low number is due to some perimeter guys being hurt but that it still wouldn't be over 15 if they were healthy, which is still too low. It's like he's stuck in 1994. He absolutely cannot have that mindset come regular season unless you're actively trying to lose games. Like I said a few days ago, keep an eye on this.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Scott keeps Ronnie Price (which he probably will) and when Swaggy returns, those two guys alone will force the issue especially if they make a ton of threes. Scott may have to update his stance just because today's NBA is about three-points and the shooters who routinely shoot and make them.

trojanfight

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
tuned into the jeanie buss segment on 1st take. stephen smith was grilling her about why jim buss is where he's at and why he sticks around after the mistakes he's made. she agreed to there being a 3 year point to perhaps go in a different direction. but when stephen smith said well this is year 3 she said oh no its year 1..seems like short bus is going to be around much longer than i thought.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
tuned into the jeanie buss segment on 1st take. stephen smith was grilling her about why jim buss is where he's at and why he sticks around after the mistakes he's made. she agreed to there being a 3 year point to perhaps go in a different direction. but when stephen smith said well this is year 3 she said oh no its year 1..seems like short bus is going to be around much longer than i thought.

Actually, she's pretty close to right. They kind of hit "re-set" after Dwight left and didn't really count last year as the Dwight thing happened kind of late in FA and everyone was still reeling from Dr. Buss passing away.

No doubt that Jim Buss has made some mistakes, but the 2 major things that have the Lakers in this spot are NOT his fault.

Stern vetoing the CP3 trade wasn't Jim's fault and neither was Dwight being a pussy. If neither of those things happen (or maybe only 1 of them happens), no one is talking about Jim's mistakes.

So, this past off season counts as year 1 of what has been said is a 3 year plan. While the Lakers didn't get any of the "big fish" in this past FA period, they did manage to get some needed upgrades and it looks like they hit on a couple of good one's in the draft.

This tells me that Jim Buss may have learned 1 of 2 things. Either he's learned to do a better job of getting talent, or he's learned to stay the hell out of Mitch's way. I don't care which one it is, just so long as it means the Lakers continue to improve and work towards getting back in contention.

Last edited by a moderator:

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TJF12, this in bold has me laughing like a 12-year old schoolboy. "Stern vetoing the CP3 trade wasn't Jim's fault and neither was Dwight being a pussy." I couldn't agree with you more.

And this is spot on: "This tells me that Jim Buss may have learned 1 of 2 things. Either he's learned to do a better job of getting talent, or he's learned to stay the hell out of Mitch's way. I don't care which one it is, just so long as it means the Lakers continue to improve and work towards getting back in contention."

Jeannie has this franchise going in the right direction and this season maybe very cool indeed. We shall know starting Tuesday when fartboy Howard and the Rockets come to town for the opener.:nod:

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TJF12, this in bold has me laughing like a 12-year old schoolboy. "Stern vetoing the CP3 trade wasn't Jim's fault and neither was Dwight being a pussy." I couldn't agree with you more.

And this is spot on: "This tells me that Jim Buss may have learned 1 of 2 things. Either he's learned to do a better job of getting talent, or he's learned to stay the hell out of Mitch's way. I don't care which one it is, just so long as it means the Lakers continue to improve and work towards getting back in contention."

Jeannie has this franchise going in the right direction and this season maybe very cool indeed. We shall know starting Tuesday when fartboy Howard and the Rockets come to town for the opener.:nod:

:lol:

My favorite quote by her was when she said that she holds the ultimate power with the Lakers and can make any personnel changes that she see's fit. She was asked directly if that included removing Jim and she said yes. She also went on to say that he and Mitch have a plan that they both believe in and she trusts them to get it done. It's good to know that she can step in at any time if Jim starts screwing up.

trojanfight

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:lol:

My favorite quote by her was when she said that she holds the ultimate power with the Lakers and can make any personnel changes that she see's fit. She was asked directly if that included removing Jim and she said yes. She also went on to say that he and Mitch have a plan that they both believe in and she trusts them to get it done. It's good to know that she can step in at any time if Jim starts screwing up.

I just question of she will exercise that authority. Is she going to run team herself? Will Mitch get the blame if in 2 years state of team isn't drastically improved? I don't blame buss for the cp3 fiasco but I do think his decision of hiring dantoni led to Howard leaving. Like him or not team isn't in shape it's in if he stays. So pretty much team lost Howard and hasn't gained another star. Also proceeded to lose gasol. With Kobe clearly being gone in 3 years I'm just not so sure buss doesn't run team into ground completely by then

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, I think, trojanfight, you will have no worries if and when Jeannie decides to step in. She has already done that and it is evident in the teams' present roster and coach hirings and FA and draft moves and signings. She may not have engineered every little move micromanaging things, but I guarantee you she has kept short buss's craziness in check, changed a few things that were missing, and has put everyone on notice with her previous statement and her latest declaration regarding Kobe. There is no problem with Jeannie Buss pulling the trigger and exercising her authority and when she does, it'll be another good move.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just question of she will exercise that authority. Is she going to run team herself? Will Mitch get the blame if in 2 years state of team isn't drastically improved? I don't blame buss for the cp3 fiasco but I do think his decision of hiring dantoni led to Howard leaving. Like him or not team isn't in shape it's in if he stays. So pretty much team lost Howard and hasn't gained another star. Also proceeded to lose gasol. With Kobe clearly being gone in 3 years I'm just not so sure buss doesn't run team into ground completely by then

I don't see Mitch getting the blame. He's far too respected around the league. I think any action she took against Jim would basically be making him go sit in the corner as opposed to outright cutting him loose.

As for losing Howard and not gaining another star. So what? Howard doesn't belong on the Lakers and I'm not sure the team would be that much better with him. He'd be a cancer with his complaints about touches and thinking he knows how to win championships. We've seen some of that in Houston already. The Lakers have had one chance to get another star since he left and the only 2 that were true difference makers were never going to do anything other than what they did. Like Mitch said in a recent interview: "We knew they were going to do what they did, but we had to try anyway."

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:agree: Totally. I think the defense we have now is going to hold Harden down a bit so he doesn't go apenuts like he did last year getting 40 against us. I am sure Scott will plan a defense to frustrate Howard to the point where he'll start his crying to the refs just about every trip down the floor. We have a very good chance of winning our opener if we play like we have these last two games.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Jim Buss basically said that if he can't get this team into contention in a couple years, he doesn't deserve his position. We'll see if that holds true.

I don't see this team being run into the ground. I actually think they've hit rock bottom and things have been turned around. They have some nice young players to develop. They're moving in the right direction.