• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Kobe’s Helicopter Lacked Recommended Terrain Warning System!

El Goyo

handi gave me my cool av. Derrp. Oof.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No T.A.W.S. Terrain Warning & Awareness System.

El Goyo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NTSB recommended TAWS for all Helicopters carrying 6 or more people in 2004! But FAA Failed To Do It!

jontaejones

Hoopla Cash
$ 149.32
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sad to say, but I'm sure there will be lawsuits a plenty by the families of the other people in the copter.

El Goyo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sad to say, but I'm sure there will be lawsuits a plenty by the families of the other people in the copter.

Yes, but it doesn’t seem to be illegal but wow! The negligence!

In 2004, NTSB wanted TAWS on helicopters and it hasn’t happened yet! 16 years. So helicopters in fog are screwed. Can’t even tell where the ground is!

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
just read this. this is like saying your GPS doesnt have streets.

Debbie Does

Question Authority
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The NTSB recommended these upgrades, but the FAA, the official government organization that could make this an airworthiness directive, failed to make the requirements.

Likewise, this helicopter did not have black boxes. Later versions of the same helicopter have them, but this particular one would have had to be retrofitted.

PEOPLESCHICKEN

Dysfunctional Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The NTSB recommended these upgrades, but the FAA, the official government organization that could make this an airworthiness directive, failed to make the requirements.

Likewise, this helicopter did not have black boxes. Later versions of the same helicopter have them, but this particular one would have had to be retrofitted.
I sense a mandate in the near future

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We need to stop with this 'What if' bullshit and stop looking to blame someone. It's not going to bring anyone back.
Its not about blame, its about learning what happened and why so that we can prevent this from happening again down the road. No one should have to suffer this kind of a loss ever

El Goyo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We need to stop with this 'What if' bullshit and stop looking to blame someone. It's not going to bring anyone back.

Yeah, we just require all helicopters to have the terrain warning system otherwise they are unreliable and dangerous.

If the weather is good you live, but if there is fog you might die?!

Seat belts, airbags, etc., progress. Move on, get better!

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As far as blame is concerned, though I think we know that or have a good idea.

1. Kobe was the leader of the Helicopter rides, so it began with him doing his research and knowing the safest way to travel. He failed to do that and consented to a risky flight in the fog and in a copter lacking the proper equipment

2. The pilot had responsibility and should have known the aviation laws and common sense about all terrain awareness technology and and should have grounded this flight

3. The company that owned the copter has some responsibility for not following up on the recommendations regarding the technology and flying in the fog

None of this brings back the people. The only thing left is to learn from it and try to prevent it from happening again, but be aware accidents will always strike sooner or later. It's part of the cycle of life and can't be stopped. The best you can do is move forward and enjoy living

El Goyo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was Angels Baseball Night At Anaheim Ducks Hockey vs Phoenix Coyotes. So the star baseball players, hockey players & fans gave a moving tribute to Kobe who played at the Pond (Honda Center) 3 times.

Then this...

elguapo

I cannot think of anything clever to put here!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,056.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its not about blame, its about learning what happened and why so that we can prevent this from happening again down the road. No one should have to suffer this kind of a loss ever
You have watched the video, right? The damn thing was in a 1000 ft free fall. No ground warning system would have done shit

El Goyo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You have watched the video, right? The damn thing was in a 1000 ft free fall. No ground warning system would have done shit

The guy got completely disoriented by the fog. He was about to crash into the mountain so, he made a weird but understandable move. He dove hard left so he would hopefully see the ground finally but he still clipped the crest by 30 yards. He didn’t know where he was. He was lost. If he had a warning system he would have known. It’s not complicated. It’s being cheap and not buying necessary safety equipment. Because you ASSume you will on.y fly in clear weather.

It is like the Kennedy plane crash because the pilot ends up lost in fog with no idea where he is and after a panic finally dives to see land at least. Only to come out of the fog at last moment and see they were completely wrong about where they thought they were as they crash.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's not what I am talking about - The pilot circled around in a circular pattern until he got clearance to enter Calabasas air space. It appears that he was disoriented because Traffic control warned him he was still too low. He quickly lifted up from 1200 to 1800 feet before he hit the mountain. Once he hit the mountain - they were doomed period - I agree with you, but because he was flying in fog, he couldn't see the mountain before he hit that mountain - and had he had the All Terrain Warning system - that could have warned him he was headed straight into the mountain. This is what the preliminary investigation has determined. The recommendation that all copters be equipped with this, the last time an accident like this happened and it became required equipment for anyone transporting 6 or more passengers. I expect and speculate that this company normally did not transport as many as 8 passengers, so they were required to update their copter- In this case, however eventually the remaining facts will most likely determined that pilot err occurred on several fronts - like taking a 8 passengers in violation of that law and then flying in the fog when all other copters had been grounded

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The guy got completely disoriented by the fog. He was about to crash into the mountain so, he made a weird but understandable move. He dove hard left so he would hopefully see the ground finally but he still clipped the crest by 30 yards. He didn’t know where he was. He was lost. If he had a warning system he would have known. It’s not complicated. It’s being cheap and not buying necessary safety equipment. Because you ASSume you will on.y fly in clear weather.

It is like the Kennedy plane crash because the pilot ends up lost in fog with no idea where he is and after a panic finally dives to see land at least. Only to come out of the fog at last moment and see they were completely wrong about where they thought they were as they crash.
I expect that in the past, the copter normally didn't transport enough passengers to be required to install the All Terrain Awareness system. The ball here got dropped when they decided 8 passengers - 2 or 3 passengers over the limit. The company office most likely didn't know that was happening and if they did - they are going to squarely blame the pilot to save their ass on the investigation