• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Kings @ Oilers 2023 WCQF G6

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very disappointing. I consider this a step back from last season.

davnlaguna

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,636.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No goalie. Little defensive, decent offense.
Quick still has a chance to get his name on the cup.
The kings goalies are both below average. Defense in the series was not good over 50% of penalties resulting in goals is crazy bad.
Kings of fence did ok
Drew and Kopitar will be slower next year if you can imagine.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Korpisalo fell apart after G4, couldn't get a big save when the Kings needed it. No legitimate 3C, fourth line belongs in Ontario, no snarl or size on defense, Durzi doing Durzi things, PK in the toilet all season long.

In reality the Kings were lucky to not get swept, the 4-2 series loss looks a lot better than it appears. Last year's series was far more competitive than this one even though it went 6 games.

Fiala was as advertised and I predicted he would have a monster night and he sure did. Wild fans can STFU now, dude had 6 points in 3 games on a bum knee.

I don't care if they had 104 points, this team has some talent but not in the right places. I really hope this forces Blake to stop hoarding his prize prospects - most of them pretty much suck anyway - and get rid of them and get some much needed help in the areas that clearly need it. I think Yanetti and his group need to seriously be evaluated, the Kings drafting has not produced much in a decade. All smoke and mirrors, Byfield was nothing short of terrible this series and guys like JAD, Kupari, Kaliyev, were useless.

The team assembled is not built for the playoffs.

Last edited:
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,022.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whelp. Byfield on for that last goal was rough. Just seemed lost. I think he'll be the new Muzzin until he proves otherwise. I do think it's unfair to have him on the top line and expect him to go up against the top talent in the league, but he was struggling on the 3rd line tonight which is him regressing and that's not with what you want to see at all. Lack of offensive production hurts, but liability on defense is just not going to be acceptable.

As far as overall outlook, I follow some guys who also site that this was Kings second highest regular season point total of all time, so McLellan's job is safe, but I'm not really seeing this team close to winning the big one. I don't feel like Edmonton is either. This was a really nasty matchup for LA, but I feel like LA could at least attempt to play to some defense in another series, which I don't think Edmonton even wants to do. I don't think they're winning a cup with Skinner but they outplayed LA for sure and they just seem to have them outgunned. I feel like it's not a cup winning strategy, but at least Edmonton knows what they are. They have an identity. They know they plan to come out firing, and they are going to try to win it 9-8 if they have to. I am not entirely sure what LA is or what they want to be. We called it at the time, but Game 4, even before the blown leads, was where the series was to be had.

Fiala looked good for sure, which is really promising. Kempe is young. Most of these other guys are locked up and on decent deals. Kopitar one more year on his contract is crazy. Doughty contract is really expensive and it's for another 4 years. I don't think it'll hold them back too much, but it's huge for sure and it stands out even more as this relic of the old days as these guys, especially defensemen, just don't sign for that kind of money anymore. Villardi had the big goal in Game 2, and he made the play to setup Moore's winner in Game 3 OT but I can't remember any big plays after Game 3. He's up for a big bump here this offseason though. Moore had the big OT goal, but wasn't a big factor in the series. I try to give the Moore-Danault line a pass because they tried to match them with McDavid and Draisaitl as much as possible. The best line last year, and just not a massive factor offensively this year. Arviddson played well in a few of the games, and honestly, if he buries a few breakaways he's maybe even the MVP of the series. I thought Gavrikov kinda struggled as the series went on, and looked a little lost at times. Maybe that was all the Kings though. Durzi I feel could be more effective against a different opponent, but he's not strong enough defensively to matchup with certain teams.

Korpisalo definitely kept them in early in the series, but just a series of crushing goals upstairs from the faceoff dot really hurt. Didn't make those big saves the Kings needed. I don't have any idea what the Kings plan to do about their goaltending going forward. I was okay with them not starting Copley heading into Game 6, but looking back, maybe Copley deserved a shot after the year he put up.

It wasn't all bad, but there are some major holes right now and they will probably become much bigger as Kopitar ages up and out.

I agree they need some size, but they need some grit more than anything. Your 3rd and 4th lines can't be liabilities. You need a 4th line of giant guys who can come out and change the pace of a game. Go get some hits and make the other team think about things a little. Right now, this 4th line is all kids, and they all look like the moment is too big for them. If we kept seeing progression, then sure, that works, but it doesn't feel like progress.

I think you really can't even judge this team until we see what moves take place this summer.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whelp. Byfield on for that last goal was rough. Just seemed lost. I think he'll be the new Muzzin until he proves otherwise. I do think it's unfair to have him on the top line and expect him to go up against the top talent in the league, but he was struggling on the 3rd line tonight which is him regressing and that's not with what you want to see at all. Lack of offensive production hurts, but liability on defense is just not going to be acceptable.

He was either a negative or a non factor all series long. Just watching him this series, he has some serious problems reading plays. His hockey IQ is not good on either side of the puck. It's one thing when you're the biggest kid manhandling17 year olds 10" shorter than you, different ball game when you have Nurse, Ekholm, et al staring you down.

And fair or not, you're in the big show, you're a 2nd overall, you're in the Stanley Cup playoffs and coach has put you where you are. He needed some wow moments, anything, to show progress and justify that. He flat out did not.

My patience has reached near its end with this guy, even when The Legend was struggling he showed what he could be time to time. Even Kempe did, I remember seeing his first NHL goal going oh s**t this kid may have something. I see nothing more than a B6 career for Buster and arguably one of the worst picks in Kings 1st round history, and that is devastating considering 12 years passed between picks that high and no one else - Kupari, Turcotte, Vilardi, etc - are apparently successors to Kopitar.

The whipping boy status is well earned. As Sutter said, this is not a developmental league. Hell, I think Stutzle outscored him from the golf course.

As far as overall outlook, I follow some guys who also site that this was Kings second highest regular season point total of all time, so McLellan's job is safe, but I'm not really seeing this team close to winning the big one. I don't feel like Edmonton is either. This was a really nasty matchup for LA, but I feel like LA could at least attempt to play to some defense in another series, which I don't think Edmonton even wants to do. I don't think they're winning a cup with Skinner but they outplayed LA for sure and they just seem to have them outgunned. I feel like it's not a cup winning strategy, but at least Edmonton knows what they are. They have an identity. They know they plan to come out firing, and they are going to try to win it 9-8 if they have to. I am not entirely sure what LA is or what they want to be. We called it at the time, but Game 4, even before the blown leads, was where the series was to be had.

I'm not on the Oiler Cup train either. I think they are in for a rude awakening against a much more complete, physical, battle tested group in Vegas. In a perfect world both teams would lose but I'm pulling for Vegas because of Quick and also I want to see the arrogance of Oiler fans and their team hit a thudding and shocking end. After that I'll pull for whoever is playing Vegas.

This team's identity is actually known - they want to play good guy hockey and think that'll win. The problem is their opponents don't play that way and hockey is not played that way. Even the Lanche who some compare the construction process of LA to, have some nasty in them and aren't afraid to play that way. The Kings built as they are are too passive. That needs to be addressed still.

Fiala looked good for sure, which is really promising. Kempe is young. Most of these other guys are locked up and on decent deals. Kopitar one more year on his contract is crazy. Doughty contract is really expensive and it's for another 4 years. I don't think it'll hold them back too much, but it's huge for sure and it stands out even more as this relic of the old days as these guys, especially defensemen, just don't sign for that kind of money anymore. Villardi had the big goal in Game 2, and he made the play to setup Moore's winner in Game 3 OT but I can't remember any big plays after Game 3. He's up for a big bump here this offseason though. Moore had the big OT goal, but wasn't a big factor in the series. I try to give the Moore-Danault line a pass because they tried to match them with McDavid and Draisaitl as much as possible. The best line last year, and just not a massive factor offensively this year. Arviddson played well in a few of the games, and honestly, if he buries a few breakaways he's maybe even the MVP of the series. I thought Gavrikov kinda struggled as the series went on, and looked a little lost at times. Maybe that was all the Kings though. Durzi I feel could be more effective against a different opponent, but he's not strong enough defensively to matchup with certain teams.

Fiala was great, really happy with that trade. Worked out for everyone including Faber. Moore was an overpayment, hopefully he can return to 2021-22 levels otherwise they have another albatross contract on their hands.

But if you look at how this team was built, most of it came from outside the organization. Cup teams are built on the majority of drafting and developing your own guys so they are cost controlled and you can add pieces from outside and have enough money to pay them. Take a look, this team is capped out and have two QF losses to show for it.

Agree Vilardi wasn't real noticeable much after his first game but at least he didn't make egregious mistakes hurting the team. Durzi did, Buster did, Kupari did, Kaliyev did. Doughty and Anderson were average at best. Vilardi deserves a nice bridge contract.

I liked Gavrikov, he was solid. It's Korpisalo I was surprised about, he got worse as the series went on. I was all on board to resign him, now not so much. The issue is the Kings do not have anyone to bring up. Copley most likely is the back up next season but they need a legit starter. There will be some names available this summer, rumor has it Hellebuyck wants out. But again, assets and more cap.

Gavrikov needs to be resigned. Keep in mind you can be 10% over the cap during summer and have to be compliant by opening night, so the Kings will have about $90 million to work with and figure out what to do with some other players/contracts/prospects.

Bottom line, the time has come to move prospects out to clear room and clear cap.

Korpisalo definitely kept them in early in the series, but just a series of crushing goals upstairs from the faceoff dot really hurt. Didn't make those big saves the Kings needed. I don't have any idea what the Kings plan to do about their goaltending going forward. I was okay with them not starting Copley heading into Game 6, but looking back, maybe Copley deserved a shot after the year he put up.

Copley would not have fared any better IMO. He didn't look awful but didn't look great in his spot duty. The Kings defense and PK sunk these guys this season, and as successful as Copley was I always had an uneasy feeling about him in net. He's a great story and I'm glad he got a one way contract for 2023, but he isn't a legitimate starter. Can't go into 2023 with him as a #1 and don't get me started on the Petersen issue.

It wasn't all bad, but there are some major holes right now and they will probably become much bigger as Kopitar ages up and out.

The biggest issue is they need someone to take over his 1C spot and they do not have a soul to do it. Dunno regressed this season back to his normal output and wasn't as effective, and he isn't a 1C. Maybe a stop gap but then you open up a hole at 2C. Vilardi isn't that guy and Buster definitely isn't.

I agree they need some size, but they need some grit more than anything. Your 3rd and 4th lines can't be liabilities. You need a 4th line of giant guys who can come out and change the pace of a game. Go get some hits and make the other team think about things a little. Right now, this 4th line is all kids, and they all look like the moment is too big for them. If we kept seeing progression, then sure, that works, but it doesn't feel like progress.

I don't consider this season progress overall. Prospects didn't produce or take significant steps, their PO showing left a lot to be desired and their B6 lines were liabilities rather than positives.

I think you really can't even judge this team until we see what moves take place this summer.

Can't wait. Lot of work to do to be considered a legitimate threat.

Last edited:

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very disappointing. I consider this a step back from last season.
Most certainly is. Constantly throwing byfield out there at key moments and never adjusting the PK at all expecting either one of those things to work at some point was the downfall. As expected g4 was the end.....i thought it would be at the start of the series but in a 0-4 kind of way haha.

I do like how fiala, arvidsson, roy, gavrikov, cantplay and danualt played...im sure there are others overall but imo these would be bright spots....kopistar did what he does and doughboy was avg

Fox4Kings

Hoopla Cash
$ 600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Korpisalo fell apart after G4, couldn't get a big save when the Kings needed it. No legitimate 3C, fourth line belongs in Ontario, no snarl or size on defense, Durzi doing Durzi things, PK in the toilet all season long.

Pretty much sums it up right there. Oilers did some great moves before the deadline and I think an underrated one is adding Bjugstad. He was an excellent 3C for them and did lots of things in the series that I felt were key but did not show up in the box score.

Gavrikov added some size but he had no snarl, I was hoping to see some of that from him. Mikey Anderson added some but he is too small to be that big intimidating force. Agree on Durzi, he was bad. Hopefully they can sell while he has some implied value like they did with Muzzin. I think Clarke replaces Durzi next year.

Byfield made a ton of mistakes but I am not as done with him as you and everyone else. I've shared it already, he is too young. Not everyone figures it out immediately like Doughty. He lacks confidence and still needs to bulk up. I think it will come. He may not live up to the hype of where he was drafted, but I think he will be a solid middle 6 forward.

Korpi was unreal first few games then disappeared. Looked lost and unable to track the puck after that. Will be interesting to see if he sticks around.

CaptHowdy00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So what’s Flake going to do over the summer?
I think they should have given Copper a chance in the series. Let’s be honest, he saved the season.