• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Kind of sucks that it is SB win or bust.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the money is paid, there has to be a cap hit at some point. Things like guaranteed money and signing bonuses can be spread over the length of a contract, even if they are paid up front, and this is what I believe was being referred to with restructuring to free up cap space.

If he takes an actual pay cut, awesome, but if he restructures, that bill still comes due.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think he pushes back non-guaranteed money. The trade off with restructuring is that generally more becomes guaranteed, not just thrown to a future that will never be paid.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cap hits if a player retires and is not released by the team means the actual contract ends and all even guaranteed money is taken off the books. Pretty sure that is how the new CBA is worded. Now even if his guaranteed money still hits over the long haul let's say they have $5 million in dead money for a couple of years with his contract (even though pretty sure this is not how this works but hey I could have read the CBA completely wrong) then at that time for the Broncos it looks like Osweiler is the quarterback of the future. He is only making a few million a year so in essence the Broncos would have about a $8-10 million cap hit for the quarterback position which in today's NFL is pretty darn good considering the $20 million a year contracts that are being thrown at even above average quarterbacks.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any signing bonus that was prorated over the length of the contract would be immediately due, or depending on circumstances split over two years.

I think you can overcome it. I was more pointing out that continuously restructuring isn't the ideal plan.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any signing bonus that was prorated over the length of the contract would be immediately due, or depending on circumstances split over two years.

I think you can overcome it. I was more pointing out that continuously restructuring isn't the ideal plan.

I understand it isn't the ideal plan. I was just stating that I know Peyton and Champ would both be willing to restructure their contracts if it meant having another shot at a Superbowl. Now whether that is good for the team in the long run or not is up to people who know way more about the Cap than I do. I do know most teams already have things figured out for the next 5 years when it comes to the Cap for the most part or at least begin to try and figure out what they can spend where. Broncos definitely have a challenge over the next couple of years with some very talented young players looking for their big contract so I am very interested to see how they work this. My guess is they will try and stagger some of the contracts a bit with some having more up front money while others being more backloaded and having their bigger numbers for when Champ's and Peyton's contracts are up and the Broncos have about $30 million in cap space.

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I say this as a huge fan of Champ Bailey's, but I guarantee you he won't be back next year unless it's at a significantly reduced number. Isn't he around $10 million a year? If he wants to finish his career here, he'll have to restructure because there is no way the Broncos keep him at that number.

WalkerBoh

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Elway's also going to have a say in all this, and he's committed to the long haul as well as winning now. He's not just trying to field a team that's competitive and playoff bound now, but a team that's competitive and playoff bound from now on. The Broncos under Elway so far have been very cap conscious and have had rollover and excess space each season since his arrival. He's also made some hard decisions on players for the greater good of the team. It's one of the reasons why Dumervil's no longer around. I imagine when the time comes that he will be just as cap aware the next few seasons as he has up to now.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh I am sure he has known for a while now all these players would be up for new contracts. My guess is there will be a few cap casualties but for the most part my guess is it will be some of the older guys like a Dreesen or Tamme. One of those two is for sure gone after this season with the emergence of Julius Thomas. I'm guessing as well that a guy like Mike Adams won't be here next year. The Broncos have been one of the bigger teams on the youth movement idea so my guess is a couple of veterans with decent contracts are gone to give the opportunity for a couple of the younger guys to stay on. We definitely will not be very active in FA next year I can guarantee that.

WalkerBoh

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh I am sure he has known for a while now all these players would be up for new contracts. My guess is there will be a few cap casualties but for the most part my guess is it will be some of the older guys like a Dreesen or Tamme. One of those two is for sure gone after this season with the emergence of Julius Thomas. I'm guessing as well that a guy like Mike Adams won't be here next year. The Broncos have been one of the bigger teams on the youth movement idea so my guess is a couple of veterans with decent contracts are gone to give the opportunity for a couple of the younger guys to stay on. We definitely will not be very active in FA next year I can guarantee that.

Oh, I wouldn't bet on Denver staying out of the FA market. Again, Elway's been shrewd, and if there's a FA out there that fits what he wants Denver to accomplish, he'll try to make it happen. He's trying to build that player conveyor belt where the team stays perpetually young and good, while still having the ability to jump into FA if the desire arises. That's what I like about Elway so far. He appears very flexible in his plans as long as the main course of the team stays on track. He's definitely looking ahead....many years ahead I'd say.

Morpheus

RANGERS LEAD THE WAY!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All the other topics aside, I wanted to specifically address the original topic of the thread.

I want my team to have the mentality that the only acceptable outcome of a season should be to win a championship.

Otherwise, you failed.

Yes, there are certain degrees of accomplishment.

You set a goal to win each week.

You set a goal to win the division.

You set a goal to get home field advantage in the playoffs.

You set a goal to win the Conference Championship.

And then you set a goal to win the Superbowl.

Anything else is just plain coming up short.

That is not to say you should be ashamed or any other negative response.

You simply did not achieve the ultimate goal in the NFL, winning a world championship.

There are other teams out there who's ownership may be happy to make money, have enough success to sell tickets and merchandise or get the city they are in to help finance a new stadium.

I am glad I am not a fan of those teams.

I am a Denver Broncos fan, have been since I knew what a football was, born and raised in Denver.

And I am thankful that Pat Bowlen will accept nothing less than trying to win a championship.

I am thankful he brought John Elway aboard when this ship was headed in the wrong direction.

So yes, It's SuperBowl or Bust. Anything else is not acceptable.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For the record, I also feel that New England is Super Bowl or bust. Yes, getting young guys reps up to an AFC championship last year helps this year, but at the end of the day you're not playing to lose.

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kind of hate to do it, but I can't resist bumping this thread, since its title so concisely sums up how I feel about this season. Hope we get a win over Shanny and RG3 this Sunday, but, more importantly, we get on the path to the ultimate goal.

#PlayingTight

Malibu

PEACE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is basically what it is too. Unfortunately, Manning gets saddled with the 9-11 record in the play offs.

There is so much BS when it comes to prognosticators in sports (really anything). The fact is Peyton Manning has won a SB. He has been named SB MVP. What would Dan Marino, Dan Fouts, Jim Kelly, Fran Tarkenton, Warren Moon, etc etc give for that fact.

The sad thing about it, is if any of those QBs did get one, it may not have effected their legacy. I guess. Although, I do find it interesting how Favre some how never gets lumped into the same type of thing as Manning. Is it me, or do they have somewhat similar play off records? Except, Favre made a real reputation of throwing real bone head passes in the play offs.

Anyway, the fact is not matter what Manning does, no matter what records he breaks, no matter how fun it is to watch this, it means nothing if there is not a SB win. At least that is the way I am seeing it.

That takes away from the excitement a little bit for me. Just a little.

Here in Wisconsin Favre does get lumped in with Manning.

Malibu

PEACE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All the other topics aside, I wanted to specifically address the original topic of the thread.

I want my team to have the mentality that the only acceptable outcome of a season should be to win a championship.

Otherwise, you failed.

You simply did not achieve the ultimate goal in the NFL, winning a world championship.

There are other teams out there who's ownership may be happy to make money, have enough success to sell tickets and merchandise or get the city they are in to help finance a new stadium.

I am a Denver Broncos fan, have been since I knew what a football was, born and raised in Denver.

And I am thankful that Pat Bowlen will accept nothing less than trying to win a championship.

I am thankful he brought John Elway aboard when this ship was headed in the wrong direction.

Great post and dead on.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Otherwise, you failed.

Damn good post.
"So yes, It's SuperBowl or Bust. Anything else is not acceptable.[/QUOTE]"

Same hold true for every really good team. Hoping to see a Seahawk vs Bronco matchup in the Superbowl. Could be the best Superbowl ever.

BroncoInCALI

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't have to read anything other than Morph's post.....agreed.

Super Bowl or bust far beats the alternative.

Go Broncos!

xBxtxDx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Those are my thoughts as well. Woodyard needs to be paid for all the effort he has put in for us. On top of that Von Miller and Demaryius Thomas will need contracts after next season. We need to make sure we have the room to pick them up.

Maybe Champ and Manning take a pay cut depending on where their priorities lie. I think they are our two biggest hit excluding Clady.

No, Denver has an option for Von for 2015 and after this year, I am willing to bet they exercise it.

xBxtxDx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I say this as a huge fan of Champ Bailey's, but I guarantee you he won't be back next year unless it's at a significantly reduced number. Isn't he around $10 million a year? If he wants to finish his career here, he'll have to restructure because there is no way the Broncos keep him at that number.

Yes he is at $10M with no dead or guaranteed money and agreed, him, Dreesen, Kuper, and Tamme are primed for re-negotiations. Kuper and Bailey being the main ones.