• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Keppinger

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MLBtraderumors discussed two ways that the Giants might be able to afford Beltran. One way has been discussed here: back-weighted deal for Timmy. The other was to trade Keppinger. Obviously, there are many other ways to cut payroll, too, but this was intriguing to me.

First, I understand that the Giants need Franchez insurance, and there are few better singles-hitting back-up 2nd basemen on the market at Kep's price tag ($2.3 mill last year; $3.5 mill in arb this year?). Traderumors also mentioned that the Giants are in on talks with Willie Bloomquist (there is a mutual option for 2012 w/ Arizona, and he only made $750k last year). Is the drop-off in hitting worth the pick-up in d and money-saving? Would enough money be saved by signing Bloomquist, getting a prospect for Kep, Timmy signing long-term and letting Fonte walk?

Willie played 59 games at SS last year, and I don't recall him embarrassing himself out there. He likely has a limited range at 33, but he can certainly back-up Franchez and spell Crawford. Obviously, if Freddie goes down again, the Giants would be in the same position as last year when they were forced to go out and grab Kep, in the first place. It probably makes more sense to just hold onto him, but I can't shake how unenthusiastic he seemed to be joining a contender last year. Does he love Houston so much that he would be willing to go through the re-building that they have to do? Maybe he just doesn't show his emotions, but I think, as fans, we have an impossible time imagining that someone wouldn't want to be a San Francisco Giant. Furthermore, I carry a bit of disdain for anyone that is complacent about it, but that's just me.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Keppy, but I also believe he is over-paid. The fact that he missed a flight to join his new team is also a bad sign.

If he disappears, it is not the worst thing to ever happen.

If taking a downgrade at BU 2B means we get Beltran, sign AU up right now...

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Keppy, but I also believe he is over-paid. The fact that he missed a flight to join his new team is also a bad sign.

If he disappears, it is not the worst thing to ever happen.

If taking a downgrade at BU 2B means we get Beltran, sign AU up right now...

Let's not get hasty. :)

What type of prospect would you expect in return? Basically, the Henry Sosa of someone else's org? Possibly, with slightly less upside?

sfsportsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bloomquist re-signed with AZ

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MLBtraderumors discussed two ways that the Giants might be able to afford Beltran. One way has been discussed here: back-weighted deal for Timmy. The other was to trade Keppinger. Obviously, there are many other ways to cut payroll, too, but this was intriguing to me.

First, I understand that the Giants need Franchez insurance, and there are few better singles-hitting back-up 2nd basemen on the market at Kep's price tag ($2.3 mill last year; $3.5 mill in arb this year?). Traderumors also mentioned that the Giants are in on talks with Willie Bloomquist (there is a mutual option for 2012 w/ Arizona, and he only made $750k last year). Is the drop-off in hitting worth the pick-up in d and money-saving? Would enough money be saved by signing Bloomquist, getting a prospect for Kep, Timmy signing long-term and letting Fonte walk?

Willie played 59 games at SS last year, and I don't recall him embarrassing himself out there. He likely has a limited range at 33, but he can certainly back-up Franchez and spell Crawford. Obviously, if Freddie goes down again, the Giants would be in the same position as last year when they were forced to go out and grab Kep, in the first place. It probably makes more sense to just hold onto him, but I can't shake how unenthusiastic he seemed to be joining a contender last year. Does he love Houston so much that he would be willing to go through the re-building that they have to do? Maybe he just doesn't show his emotions, but I think, as fans, we have an impossible time imagining that someone wouldn't want to be a San Francisco Giant. Furthermore, I carry a bit of disdain for anyone that is complacent about it, but that's just me.

Two things:

1. Kepp is projected at $2.7MM in arb this year.
2. Bloomquist just re-upped with the Snakes:
Arizona Diamondbacks Rumors: MLB Rumors - MLBTradeRumors.com
oh, and one other thing
3. Fonty is a capable backup 2B.

Re: Kepp -- I remember the interviews last year as he joined the Giants. He was pretty excited to come to a contender and seems to be a good team guy. I think he'll be back.

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Two things:

1. Kepp is projected at $2.7MM in arb this year.
2. Bloomquist just re-upped with the Snakes:
Arizona Diamondbacks Rumors: MLB Rumors - MLBTradeRumors.com
oh, and one other thing
3. Fonty is a capable backup 2B.

Re: Kepp -- I remember the interviews last year as he joined the Giants. He was pretty excited to come to a contender and seems to be a good team guy. I think he'll be back.

Do you think trading Wilson is the best way to free up money for Beltran? Or have you moved on? Cuddyer or bust?

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bloomquist re-signed with AZ

Thanks. Replace Bloomquist with any utility middle infielder FA expecting to make at least $1 million less than Keppy in 2012. (I don't know if those exist anymore, but for the sake of discussion, let's say there is. We'll call this imaginary person Nate Lowerey):brick:

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right now we have Kepp, Fonty, Buriss and Gillaspie as our possible backup options (assuming Franchez/Crawford are starting). I think it comes down to one of Kepp and Fonty and one of Buriss/Gillaspie.

Kepp is expected to make $2.7 next year and Fonty is expected to make $1.3. Buriss is out of options and Gillaspie has one left so he may repeat AAA. Kepp is not a good enough defender for SS, even in a pinch while Fonty can hold his own there. Hitting is almost a push.

I expect Kepp to be traded/non-tendered and Fonty to return with Buriss up as well while Gillaspie stays in AAA playing 3B/SS/2B and maybe some OF to gain experience for a super utility role that he is heading towards at the ML level.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you think trading Wilson is the best way to free up money for Beltran? Or have you moved on? Cuddyer or bust?

I think that by riding of Kepp's salary and Torres' as well, Giants would have a better chance at finding the money to re-sign Beltran.

Kepp's($2.7)+Torres'($2.5)+the $1 million saved in the Sanchez trade thats about $6 million saved there.

Ford would be the 4th OF in that situation.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After including Lopez's new contract and Affeldt's option, and the assumed salaries in arbitration, the Giants are at $116.55 million. I believe the cap was set at about $125-$130 million, so fitting in Beltran will probably all the Giants will be able to do.

Last edited by a moderator:

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I never advocated trading Wilson and I don't think SabeySabes is considering it. I'm still holding out hope for Beltran with a backloaded Timmy contract.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that by riding of Kepp's salary and Torres' as well, Giants would have a better chance at finding the money to re-sign Beltran.

Kepp's($2.7)+Torres'($2.5)+the $1 million saved in the Sanchez trade thats about $6 million saved there.

Ford would be the 4th OF in that situation.

I think they'll bring Torres back at $1.5-2MM

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just checked the contract that Bloomquist got. Wow. 2 years, $3.8 mil. I didn't think he would get that much. Good for him, and good for SabeySabes to stay out of it.

sfsportsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just checked the contract that Bloomquist got. Wow. 2 years, $3.8 mil. I didn't think he would get that much. Good for him, and good for SabeySabes to stay out of it.

according to KNBR the giants offered him more. he rejected us.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

SF11704

Senile Forum Poster
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow....I must be missing something here.

This ... and it has me wondering if there wasn't something else brewing as well ...

Just my opinion - Sanchez actually declined a 2013 extension. He did agree to the 2012 extension. What if we moved Kepp into the starting role ... went after Bloomquist as the backup ... and thought about trading Sanchez

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This ... and it has me wondering if there wasn't something else brewing as well ...

Just my opinion - Sanchez actually declined a 2013 extension. He did agree to the 2012 extension. What if we moved Kepp into the starting role ... went after Bloomquist as the backup ... and thought about trading Sanchez

That would be the only semi-logical explanation. It would certainly free up more money, but at what cost to the play on the field? None if Franchez gets hurt again, but is it worth the gamble? I would say no. I'm glad Bloomquist likes Phoenix.

Stamos must be stoked, too. Fontenot and Burriss are the only guys that are moderately capable enough to back him up, and Fonte might be non-tendered. Unless, Sabes wants to bring back O.C. :L

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I am all for trading Sanchez. However, what would we be able to get for him? He is coming off of a pretty serious shoulder dislocation, and he has a history of being made-o-glass.

I can not imagine that he is worth more to another team than he is to us.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am all for trading Sanchez. However, what would we be able to get for him? He is coming off of a pretty serious shoulder dislocation, and he has a history of being made-o-glass.

I can not imagine that he is worth more to another team than he is to us.

I said the same think about Chez...and he's a Royal.