• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ken Norton becomes Raider DC

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That one hurts. He's been a fabulous coach for the Seahawks LBs.

ALAMEDA, Calif. – Ken Norton, Jr. has been named the defensive coordinator of the Oakland Raiders, the club announced Friday. Norton, Jr. is entering his sixth season as an NFL coach, having spent the previous five seasons with the Seattle Seahawks. He will be entering his 19th season overall in the NFL, 13 as an All-Pro linebacker for the Dallas Cowboys and San Francisco 49ers.

An 18-year NFL veteran (1988-2000 as a player; 2010-14 as a coach), Norton, Jr. has been a part of four Super Bowl-winning teams (three as a player and one as a coach). He and Raiders Head Coach Jack Del Rio played alongside one another in the linebacking corps of the Cowboys from 1989-91.

From 2010-14, Norton, Jr. served as Seattle’s linebackers coach, helping the team to three NFC West Division titles, two NFC Championships and a Super Bowl XLVIII title. Over that period, Norton, Jr. helped the Seahawks’ defense rank second in total defense (309.5 yards per game) and the unit finished in the top 10 four times (2011-14), including leading the league in total defense the past two seasons.

Helping the Seahawks capture Super Bowl XLVIII after the 2013 campaign, Norton, Jr. tutored LB Malcolm Smith, who was named Super Bowl MVP after posting nine tackles (five solo), a 69-yard interception return for a touchdown and a fumble recovery.

With Seattle emerging as a dominant defense in 2012, Norton, Jr. was instrumental in the development of 2012 second-round draft pick LB Bobby Wagner, who secured his role as the team’s starting middle linebacker and finished second in the Associated Press Defensive Rookie of the Year voting. Wagner led the team with 140 tackles (86 solo) as a rookie.

In his first two seasons in Seattle, Norton, Jr. helped LB David Hawthorne to back-to-back 100-tackle seasons. He also oversaw the development of LB K.J. Wright as he emerged as a starter in the linebacking corps as a rookie in 2011.

Prior to joining the NFL coaching ranks, Norton, Jr. spent six seasons coaching on the defensive side of the ball at USC. He joined USC in 2004 as the school’s defensive assistant/linebackers, before being promoted to the linebackers coach from 2005-08. He was elevated to assistant head coach of the defense/linebackers in 2009.

BHF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,037.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Goddammit.

Good for him. I hope the train wreck that is the Raiders organization doesn't ruin him and he finds success. But man...that stings. He did a fantastic job here.

Outside the box wild ass suggestion...get Lofa back as a LB coach? Played for Pete, if I remember right, and was one of the smartest MLBs we've had here. Dunno if he can teach what he knew, though. I am biased as I loved the guy when he was here (after screaming bloody murder about the draft pick).

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OH man... Love that guy... He did such a great job here... Wish him all the best ...

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That one hurts, but it's not totally unexpected. We might have managed to avoid having our coaching staff get raided the last couple of years, but it was bound to happen sooner or later. I hope he does well in Oakland and it'll be interesting to see who takes over for him in coaching our linebackers.

jjc2009

I Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kinda glad, because Brian Van Gorder was also a candidate for the job, and that means ND will not have to scramble to land a new DC going into this year.

octagondd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bummed because losing multiple top coaches hurts continuity a bit, but I know ultimately Pete is the architect of the defense, so I am confident in who he chooses to put in those spots. I thought Ken was the one of the leading candidates along with Chris Richard for DC. Now it seems Chris may be the man. kudos to them both.

MKHawk

KFFL Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would much rather have lost Norton than Richard this offseason.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would much rather have lost Norton than Richard this offseason.

I get why you say that. We just know more about Norton, he's excellent. However Richards is being promoted ( OK it's not official) over Norton for a reason. I trust he'll be a good DC.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As things started to line up for Richard to be the DC, not a surprise to see Norton go. A coach with more seniority probably isn't going to hang around and work for a junior who gets promoted over him.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good for Ken Norton Jr., I wish him the best of success in Oakland and will be highly missed.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Goddammit.

Good for him. I hope the train wreck that is the Raiders organization doesn't ruin him and he finds success. But man...that stings. He did a fantastic job here.

Outside the box wild ass suggestion...get Lofa back as a LB coach? Played for Pete, if I remember right, and was one of the smartest MLBs we've had here. Dunno if he can teach what he knew, though. I am biased as I loved the guy when he was here (after screaming bloody murder about the draft pick).

Lofa is one of my all time favorite players. That would be cool to bring him back as a coach. Although I have no idea if he can actually coach or not.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Goddammit.

Lofa is back... You nailed it.

MKHawk

KFFL Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get why you say that. We just know more about Norton, he's excellent. However Richards is being promoted ( OK it's not official) over Norton for a reason. I trust he'll be a good DC.

I think we're agreeing here, I'm glad we kept Richard instead of Norton.