• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

JVR

raptorlife4

Long Time Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,850.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone else wondering why he hasnt really gotten going?
I expected more from him this season..

dspice07

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
well....constantly playing on a line with inconsistent linemates and combined that most of the time it is with 2 guys who have not been with the team very long. i dont even know what the lines are at this point other than hart roo jagr.

PhillyPhaithful48

Pickles will Prevail
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Yea, I too had very high expectation but I think him and Briere both haven't really gotten going because of the lines. They need consistant line mates

They'll heat up, but I too am frustrated he hasn't gotten the start I wanted. With how productive the 1st line is, it isn't too big of a deal right now.

TOX1

Game fucking on!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was hoping to see a more dominate player this year too.

Like you guys said...it's got to be hard to establish some consistency when the guys you play with changes on a nightly basis, but that shouldn't be an excuse. He should be playing at a much higher level than he is imo.

dspice07

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
13 points in 17 games isnt that bad, its slow but its not ridic slow. if he has a hot week he's easily back to being a 1 ppg player so it could be worse.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He doesnt dig in front enough when the tough plays are in close and the puck is sitting there he needs to get more aggressive in front.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He doesnt dig in front enough when the tough plays are in close and the puck is sitting there he needs to get more aggressive in front.

i think he was mislabeled as a power forward.. he doesn't really do the things that powerforwards do.. he's got a great shot and good wheels.. occasionally he drives wide to the net like a powerforward, but thats it.. he doesn't really do the front of the net / work on the boards like a normal powerforward does

also, he's played w/ briere and simmonds for quite a few games in a row.. and i actually think that line has looked pretty solid.. and if he continues at this rate (13 pts in 16 games (he missed one)) i'd be satisfied.. 65ish points? 30ish goals? i'd absolutely be ok with that

4thstreet

You should pay me for being here!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,850.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He had more spark with Giroux and Jagr,before Lavy inserted Hartnell in his spot.

He's been with Coots and Voracek,and lately Briere and Simmonds.Still lots of time
for him to get it together.

banditshcky11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i think he was mislabeled as a power forward.. he doesn't really do the things that powerforwards do.. he's got a great shot and good wheels.. occasionally he drives wide to the net like a powerforward, but thats it.. he doesn't really do the front of the net / work on the boards like a normal powerforward does

also, he's played w/ briere and simmonds for quite a few games in a row.. and i actually think that line has looked pretty solid.. and if he continues at this rate (13 pts in 16 games (he missed one)) i'd be satisfied.. 65ish points? 30ish goals? i'd absolutely be ok with that

I agree with awaz's assessment here. His size make everyone thing traditional power forward, but he is really more of a finesse player with some size(think Anze Kopitar). He is capable of protecting the puck, digging in corners and getting the crap kicked out of him in front of the net. I'm starting to think him being thrust into that role has taken away one of his biggest assests which would be his amazing vision on the ice. That was probably why JVR, G and Jagr looked so damn amazing together because they can all pass and find each other.

I think the problem with the line on JVR, Briere and Simmonds is complicated to say the least. JVR has not been able to re-establish the dominance we say from last years playoffs, Briere has been god awful for most of the season thus far and can't even complete simple passes some games and Simmonds has seemingly decided that he is a skilled player who wants to carry the puck instead of going to the net during 5 on 5.

I personally miss Schenn now. If you guys remember they had a line of JVR, Schenn and Simmonds that looked very promising, but were only together a game or so.

Another issue with JVR's point production is is total minutes and PP time, the Flyers are so deep he is still only playing around 16 min a game and not seeing consitent PP time due to LAvy's constant line juggling. He is projected to throw up 30G and 65+ points though so I wouldn't say he is having a bad season by any stretch, we just expect more out of him and I still feel like we'll get it before the season is out.

dspice07

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I agree with awaz's assessment here. His size make everyone thing traditional power forward, but he is really more of a finesse player with some size(think Anze Kopitar). He is capable of protecting the puck, digging in corners and getting the crap kicked out of him in front of the net. I'm starting to think him being thrust into that role has taken away one of his biggest assests which would be his amazing vision on the ice. That was probably why JVR, G and Jagr looked so damn amazing together because they can all pass and find each other.

I think the problem with the line on JVR, Briere and Simmonds is complicated to say the least. JVR has not been able to re-establish the dominance we say from last years playoffs, Briere has been god awful for most of the season thus far and can't even complete simple passes some games and Simmonds has seemingly decided that he is a skilled player who wants to carry the puck instead of going to the net during 5 on 5.

I personally miss Schenn now. If you guys remember they had a line of JVR, Schenn and Simmonds that looked very promising, but were only together a game or so.

Another issue with JVR's point production is is total minutes and PP time, the Flyers are so deep he is still only playing around 16 min a game and not seeing consitent PP time due to LAvy's constant line juggling. He is projected to throw up 30G and 65+ points though so I wouldn't say he is having a bad season by any stretch, we just expect more out of him and I still feel like we'll get it before the season is out.

just want to point out briere has 13 points in 15 games, i also suspect he has some sort of nagging injury right now.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Im in total agreement with this post i just wish we could get more out of a number 2 pick like chicago is getting out of that years number 1 pick Toews

banditshcky11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im in total agreement with this post i just wish we could get more out of a number 2 pick like chicago is getting out of that years number 1 pick Toews

Kane went #1 that year, but that's besides the point. Kane has 19 points in 18 games and plays just under 20 min a game, he also get's a tons of PP time. Those 2 things make a world of difference, in fact it's like Kane has played almost 3 more full games then JVR. I think most people also forget about production stat(Production value: the average ice time per point recorded. For example, if a player is on the ice for 20 minutes and registers two points, his production value is 10:00). In fact JVR's production is 18:33 where as Kane's is 18:29 a whole 4 seconds of difference.

banditshcky11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
just want to point out briere has 13 points in 15 games, i also suspect he has some sort of nagging injury right now.

So sit his ass and get him healthy then... Also he gets 3 points in a game then goes dark for a week, the exact same thing people bitched about Richie doing, but Briere doesn't kill penalties or play any kind of worthwhile defense. For all the bitching I had to hear about Richards playing bad last season(who had a legitimate wrist injury he played through all year) I haven't heard shit about how bad Briere is. It's like everyone on this site is awestruck by an over payed player who only shows up in the playoffs.

/end rant:faint:

Last edited by a moderator:

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kane went #1 that year, but that's besides the point. Kane has 19 points in 18 games and plays just under 20 min a game, he also get's a tons of PP time. Those 2 things make a world of difference, in fact it's like Kane has played almost 3 more full games then JVR. I think most people also forget about production stat(Production value: the average ice time per point recorded. For example, if a player is on the ice for 20 minutes and registers two points, his production value is 10:00). In fact JVR's production is 18:33 where as Kane's is 18:29 a whole 4 seconds of difference.

wow.. digging deep for the stats.. i like it.. and that says good production from me, certainly not dominating, but he is putting up points.. he just hasn't been a dominating force, but i think it was unrealistic to expect him to be a dominating force night in and night out.. the way he played in the playoffs last year was 'best in the league' type stuff, which he is not.. if he gets 30 goals this season he will have reached my expectations for him

So sit his ass and get him healthy then... Also he gets 3 points in a game then goes dark for a week, the exact same thing people bitched about Richie doing, but Briere doesn't kill penalties or play any kind of worthwhile defense. For all the bitching I had to hear about Richards playing bad last season(who had a legitimate wrist injury he played through all year) I haven't heard shit about how bad Briere is. It's like everyone on this site is awestruck by an over payed player who only shows up in the playoffs.

tell us how you really feel bandits.. i dont like how you always sit on the fence of the issues! :cool:

as for briere going dark for periods of time.. he has points in 7 of his 15 games so far this season and has gone pointless in back to back games twice.. he has yet to go on a 3 game pointless streak this season.. he's also only been a minus in 4 games this season (last night, a 4-3 loss to the devs, a 5-1 loss to the habs, and a 4-2 win over the leafs).. if he were to play at this pace and for a whole season, he'd end up with 71 points (27 goals).. he has 1 less goal than jagr, in 2 less games..

awful is definitely a stretch..

IMO none of the forwards are playing poorly.. some aren't noticed as much because jagr/giroux/hartnell are tearing up and more often then not, scoring highlight reel goals, or having highlight reel chances.. jvr and briere are producing at a fine rate, even if they're not dangerous every time they hit the ice.. voracek has gotten some grief on here too, but he's been dangerous every night, now people (talbot of all people?) are getting on the other end of his passes and converting them into goals..

offensively, i can honestly say that i'm pleased with every forward on the team.. they've had some lapses in defensive coverage, but as far as production goes, everyone is satisfying my expectations so far

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Sorry meant to say Kane but as far as Kane getting PP time he gets it because he is the way better offensive player. You could pull up all production values you want JVR is not the player kane is by far and away.

PhillyFate48

Pimp by blood
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
JVR is way to big to be so...pussy-ish in the boards and he's not in the AHL where he can just out stick handle everyone using his big body! He will change and when he does and uses his weight right.....watch out!

PhillyBoston781

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'll start worrying about players' point production when the Flyers AREN'T the top scoring team in the league.

What worries me is the -2 rating.

PhillyFate48

Pimp by blood
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

You say overpaid I say he's a Playoff stud with some help on the way there!!!

You will never hear how bad Briere is because.....Like Spice just said 13pts in 15 games.....thats not bad at all!:director:

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh one more thing about JVR and him playing the point on the power play. It is a joke he has no clue on how to play that position nor should he.