• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

justin smith vs Patick Willis

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Both are the best at their respective positions in the NFL, but I give the edge to Willis by a hair.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Are you saying Justin Smith is the best DE in the NFL? Or only out of 3-4 DE's?

3-4 RDEs, but he's up there with the best DEs period. I'd say Peppers is still the most dominant DE in the NFL (not quite as consistent as Smith though).

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

3-4 RDEs, but he's up there with the best DEs period. I'd say Peppers is still the most dominant DE in the NFL (not quite as consistent as Smith though).

See...?

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Good guess Mem. If I had to put a 3-4 DL together I'd have Smith at RDE, Seymour at LDE and Ngata at NT.

Rathman44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
i haven't been keeping track but how is haynesworth doing? just curious

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

According to PFF Justin Smith leads the league in sacks+hurries+pressures this year. Peppers wasn't on the leader board. I believe Brian Robison was second.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They're both so good, and so important to the defense. Just think about that Chargers game a year ago, the 49ers were only down 0-7 when Justin Smith was thrown out, and then their defense looked like garbage the rest of the game.

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good guess Mem. If I had to put a 3-4 DL together I'd have Smith at RDE, Seymour at LDE and Ngata at NT.

Ok, wasn't arguing with you just making sure.

I would have to agree that Smith is definitely playing at the highest level out of 3-4 RDE's. I still think Dwight Freeney is one of the most talented pass rushers, but Justin Smith is more well rounded than just about anybody right now.

sayheykid1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
They are both best at they're position but I love PWilly's diverse skills. Harbaugh called hima five tool linebacker and I think that has a tad more value and Willis has been doing it consistently since day one and by it I mean being top 3 at his position.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
This is for 2011 season only right? I say it's a tie. Did you guys see the performance Smith had this past game against Detroit? I was like, there's no way a guy could be that strong - being able to apply pressure on every passing down. He doesn't get sacks all the time (coming from 3-4 DE not asking for sacks anyway, but he's able to do nonetheless) but he applies pressure at will. Same thing with Willis, he did a spectacular job locking up Brandon Pettigrew throughout the entire game. Even on that TD catch by Pettigrew, Willis had such a great coverage on that play. Throughout the entire game Willis was all over Pettigrew in coverage like white on rice.

bvanthielriceyoung

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Part of the reason for this thread is to give more attention to Smith and to see if he is being recognized. Patrick Willis, like always, is playing really well. IMO though, Willis and Smith arent even in the same league right now.

Smith is playing at such an incredible level its unbelievable. The guy is an absolute force. I rewatched the lions game and every damn play Smith is making an impact. He was giving the lions a fit all day, in the pass and run. He has been doing this all year too.

I know to be a defensive MVP you really need the numbers, especially playing on the line(and the tables are stacked against him being in a 3-4), but I dont know anyone that is playing better then him right now or anyone more valuable to our team.

Crazy to think a few years ago I thought picking him up in FA was a poor signing dishing out all that money on him....

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Who is better, or who is more valuable to this team? I'd say Willis is slightly better from a skills standpoint. But - and I hate to say it even though Smith is one of my favorite Niners - I think Smith is more important to our success on D right now. Part of that is due to the position he plays, and part to the way he plays it. You simply cannot run the ball at him (though it helps having Willis and Bowman behind him, especially when plays are drawn out to the edge), and he generates tremendous pressure from a position that generally isn't intended to do so. While Aldon has been playing very well lately, I attribute a lot of his success (as does he) to the attention Ds have to pay to Justin. Add in that we're pretty thin at DL, and I think we'd see a pretty significant drop in our play without him.

Frankly, though, I'm glad I don't have to choose.

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Who is better, or who is more valuable to this team? I'd say Willis is slightly better from a skills standpoint. But - and I hate to say it even though Smith is one of my favorite Niners - I think Smith is more important to our success on D right now. Part of that is due to the position he plays, and part to the way he plays it. You simply cannot run the ball at him (though it helps having Willis and Bowman behind him, especially when plays are drawn out to the edge), and he generates tremendous pressure from a position that generally isn't intended to do so. While Aldon has been playing very well lately, I attribute a lot of his success (as does he) to the attention Ds have to pay to Justin. Add in that we're pretty thin at DL, and I think we'd see a pretty significant drop in our play without him.

Frankly, though, I'm glad I don't have to choose.

Agreed! My dream team has 'em both.

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How many years does Smith have left on his contract? Def want him to retire a niner!