• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Just How Good Are Ty France and Mitch Haniger?

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually don't think I've seen him play at 3B so nothing stands out there to me. If he can play there, he would be a good replacement for Kyle Seager.

I say "replacement for Kyle Seager," today and once he goes on a hot streak I'll go back to arguing we should keep him... Rooting for Kyle probably more than any other player on this team. I want him to perform well enough to be a piece going forward. I really hope he kills it in the second half.
I would really like some back channel talking going on about Kris Bryant. If he has zero interest then it is in the best interest of the Mariners to resign Kyle before the last pitch of the World Series.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would really like some back channel talking going on about Kris Bryant. If he has zero interest then it is in the best interest of the Mariners to resign Kyle before the last pitch of the World Series.
I have never felt Bryant was worth what he may ask for. He was a huge prospect and had a couple good years, but never worth the hype for me. I guess I prefer overachievers vs underachievers.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have never felt Bryant was worth what he may ask for. He was a huge prospect and had a couple good years, but never worth the hype for me. I guess I prefer overachievers vs underachievers.
True, and if the contract isn’t worth it then ok but I prefer him to Seager. But Seattle needs to land a big fish. Granted ownership has to open up the wallet book.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not if we want to save runs. He showed the other night with one out in the 9th of a one run game how he throws. 10 feet short for a 2 base error that led to the tying run scoring with the next batter.

Evan White can't live off glove alone. And with all these injuries he has had, not sure he is a long term solution anyways. France at 1B makes the most sense.
Good point on his defense. As I said I don't think I've seen him field any balls at third and his ability to make that throw was my concern, so I'll just write him off at this point at third. I think I've just been spoiled watching Kyle Seager and Adrian Beltre at 3rd the last 15 years and just assume everyone can make those throws lol.

You're also right with Evan White. Injuries aside, I worry that what we've seen from him at the plate is roughly what we're going to get from him which would essentially mean he doesn't belong on a major league team.

Here's a hypothetical for you: If Ty France is our 1st baseman of the future, (I know I'm repeating myself here), what do we do with Evan White? Write him off? Trade him? Try him at another position? Before seeing White in the majors I thought locking him up for a while was a good call, but now his contract could be an issue if we were to attempt to trade him.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Your premise I partially agree with. DH can be an actual position if the right guy is playing it. It is much like a closer, you have to have the right mental ability to be an everyday DH must like a closer. But it does generally comes with age and experience. But I agree with Zona where I for one will not be comfortable going into next year with France being penciled in at 3B or 2B. 1st from what I have seen is serviceable but White is the 1B unless he suddenly retires. If Jerry is open to the idea of someone other than White playing 1B I would personally like to see them work with Lewis and Haniger to see if they can possibly play that position. And if those two don’t work out then they need to have JRod start playing there. It isn’t necessarily about leaving a spot for JRod as opposed to all three of them have proven they are a play away from being out for the year, especially Lewis. That way you have 4 guys rotating between RF, 1B, DH and a PH. I mean they are doing it with pitching now why try some new age stuff for defense.

I just liked that France didn’t go into a mental tailspin as the DH when he struggled. That is the Achilles heel of inexperienced players playing there. Edgar and Ortiz both have stated that was the hardest adjustment. As a position player you can still help the team wins game on defense if you go into a slump.
That's a good point about the DH position. Mentally speaking, I feel like it would be hard not to tune out if you're only going to be in the game for 3-5 ABs a game.

Also I hadn't seen France play 3B yet, but I'll also say he didn't look great at 2nd when I had watched him. So I'll defer to both of you that he probably shouldn't get reps at 2nd or 3rd.

My concern about seeing if Evan White can play the outfield isn't his ability to field, but the logjam of outfielders we have in the system and his ability to hit. We talk a lot about Kelenic, Haniger, Lewis and JRod, but going forward he'd also have to compete against Trammell (who I am still suspect on) and Fraley who I've always liked a lot and is off to a great start this year. I'm just starting to think there really isn't a spot for Evan White be it at OF or 1B unless he starts to hit.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with you here.

If the Mariners aren't able to land an upgrade via free agency, they're better off with Kyle at 3B than either some internal replacement (idk who) or some journeyman. If the Mariners are serious about winning in 2022, they'll need to write some big checks.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's a hypothetical for you: If Ty France is our 1st baseman of the future, (I know I'm repeating myself here), what do we do with Evan White? Write him off? Trade him? Try him at another position? Before seeing White in the majors I thought locking him up for a while was a good call, but now his contract could be an issue if we were to attempt to trade him.

White needs a season in Tacoma. So I would not do anything with him until he spends that time down. Now I am not sure how it works with guys with major league contracts.

He doesn't have the trade value to deal him so I would pass on that for now.

Trying him at another position wouldn't help since he is the best at 1B. His bat has to come around or he is a place holder for life.

I still have no problem with them signing him, but wish they knew their players a little better.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's a good point about the DH position. Mentally speaking, I feel like it would be hard not to tune out if you're only going to be in the game for 3-5 ABs a game.

Also I hadn't seen France play 3B yet, but I'll also say he didn't look great at 2nd when I had watched him. So I'll defer to both of you that he probably shouldn't get reps at 2nd or 3rd.

My concern about seeing if Evan White can play the outfield isn't his ability to field, but the logjam of outfielders we have in the system and his ability to hit. We talk a lot about Kelenic, Haniger, Lewis and JRod, but going forward he'd also have to compete against Trammell (who I am still suspect on) and Fraley who I've always liked a lot and is off to a great start this year. I'm just starting to think there really isn't a spot for Evan White be it at OF or 1B unless he starts to hit.
Well in my scenario if someone can play 1B Evan White isn’t a part of it. He could be a piece of a trade. If nothing else Jerry or who the new GM will be can say look what Zunino has turned in to.

I don’t think it was tuning out, it was more pressing too much when you are at bat because you can’t make a play. A good analogy would be like how generally speaking pitchers pitch better when they get more run support. I could be way off but that is how I have taken when they have spoken about it.

I will say I haven’t seen enough of France at 2B or 3B to say he can’t play those positions, it is mostly I have seen enough where I would much prefer he not be the first option.

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
White needs to get more time to show what he really is when healthy. He's too good a defensive 1B with power potential to write him off before giving him a fair shot.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Through July 7th:
Vlad the Impaler 113
Bichette 111
Devers 108
Ohtani 100