• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

MLB Daily Thread: juiced balls?

bravesfan

simpobissible=making the simple into impossible
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Notice how the reply was that there has been no change in the composition of the baseball. Composition is the ingredients. Same rubber in the middle..same string..same cover...

They could however wind the string a tiny but tighter and the composition of the ball would be the same, but the nature of how the ball performed would be different.
Correct, by condensing the same material, you create more elasticity therefore the ball will jump off the bat more

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Notice how the reply was that there has been no change in the composition of the baseball. Composition is the ingredients. Same rubber in the middle..same string..same cover...

They could however wind the string a tiny but tighter and the composition of the ball would be the same, but the nature of how the ball performed would be different.

Your grasp on the definition of composition is tenuous.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Indians keep losing series at this rate, I'm going to be wearing other folks' avatars into 2017.

Inquisitor95

Unexpected Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Indians keep losing series at this rate, I'm going to be wearing other folks' avatars into 2017.

Glad I'm not as masochistic as you. Astros have won just one series to date I believe.

huskers1217

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
10 Degrees: Is a juiced ball causing MLB's large home run spike?

It’s hitters and pitchers and coaches and executives and even rational, cogent analysts who cannot find a reasonable explanation for the spike in home runs dating back to last August. The HR/FB rate – the percentage of fly balls that end up over the fence – spiked over the season’s final two months, and it has continued this April.
With 11.8 percent of fly balls leaving the yard in the season’s first month, it marked the highest April rate since the league started tracking the data in 2002. The number mirrored those of August (12.2 percent) and September (12.3 percent), which Hardball Times analyst Jon Roegele noticed after not even a month. Roegele studied it and came to an impasse.
“I couldn't find anything to describe that amount of HR/offensive change, as far as weather, strike zone, where pitchers were pitching, etc.,” he wrote in an email this week. “I suspected that they changed something with the balls after the All-Star break last year as nothing else in the data could explain it.”
When the email landed, I thought I heard black helicopters whirling above. On the eve of the season, Ben Lindbergh and Rob Arthur at Five Thirty-Eight investigated the HR/FB spike and all the causes that leap to the mind’s forefront. They even sent balls from 2014 and 2015 to a lab for testing to see any differences. None showed. They might as well have been the same.
As much as that should have quelled my interest, the study only emboldened it. One month is one thing. Two months is another. Three is a trend, a pattern, something worth exploring, and with April home runs at their highest rate in more than a decade – 2.77 percent of plate appearances ended with a homer – it warranted a deeper dive.
So I touched base with Dr. Alan Nathan, a professor emeritus at the University of Illinois and the foremost expert on baseball physics. In trying to understand what happened last fall, Nathan had studied the new exit-velocity data from the league’s Statcast system. While the ball’s speed off the bat had increased ever so slightly in the last two months, Nathan wrote, “a 1 mph change in mean exit speed can account for essentially all of the 13% change in home runs.”
In other words, all it would take to inject offense into baseball is a tiny difference in how the ball leaves the bat. And that difference has continued into this season. Nathan looked at balls with between a 15- and 45-degree launch angle – the optimal trajectory for home run balls. He found nearly 150 more balls were hit this April between 104 and 112 mph compared to last year.
“The conclusion seems to be similar to the early season/late season comparison from 2015,” Nathan said in an email. “Namely, a small increase in exit speeds leads to a big increase in HR production.”
The question, now, is why balls are coming off the bat so much harder now.
“I won't speculate why there might be a small increase in exit speeds,” Nathan said.
Oh, come on, doc.
“It could happen for any number of reasons,” he said.
Like a juiced ball!
“It would appear that the increase in home runs is attributable to exit speeds,” Nathan said, “not atmospheric conditions.”
OK, so weather is out. Now, it’s possible players suddenly, collectively got stronger. Positive tests for performance-enhancing drugs, for example, have jumped this season – there were none last August or September, for whatever that's worth – though as Dee Gordon’s shows, the idea that PEDs exist to aid and abet only home run hitters is false. We can’t discount PEDs entirely, but no evidence exists that drug users – some of whom could use the substances for endurance rather than strength – hit the ball any harder than clean players. Nathan did argue in a paper that PED use would increase muscle mass, and muscle mass would make it likelier a ball go over the fence.
It’s probably not different, higher-quality wood, even as bat regulations have gotten more restrictive in recent years. And while it’s possible this amounts to little more than a big coincidence, three straight months – over two seasons no less – lessens that likelihood.
Like exit velocity, the tiniest changes in the ball can have significant effects, and as much as Major League Baseball focuses on quality control, the ball is the first guess in this game of Clue. A league spokesman said: “We tested the balls halfway through last season and confirmed there was no change in composition from the beginning of the season. We didn’t make any changes in the offseason, either.”
A-ha! In June and July 2015, around the halfway mark of the season, the home run rates were 10.6 and 11.1 percent respectively. And if the ball did change, it was after that, meaning … I’m grasping for straws.

tl;dr

and your a braves fan...what the fuck do you know about juiced balls

bravesfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
tl;dr

and your a braves fan...what the fuck do you know about juiced balls

Because the ones mlb are sending to braves are not juiced. It's all a conspiracy against Atlanta I tell you!

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Astros finished their west coast trip with a record of 2-4, exactly what I predicted.

And not 4-2, which was what yogurt~slurping predicted.

Uhhh...congratulations?

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kick a man while he is down!!! Only a fool would bet on the braves straight up.

What, you want strokes? Forget you, pal!

Plus, I gotta wear this Moxie skin for a week anyway.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Which manager gets the ax 1st?

Mike Matheny?
I think the GM Mozeliak has more to do with the Cardinals issues. Moz was great for awhile but has 2 of the shittiest years of GMing in the league the past 2 years imo. Cards 17th in ERA? F'n a

bravesfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@Huwaryu_in_exile Yeah but your double reverse behind the back over the top psychology helped the mets win

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What is curious about that? Sounds like one of the least surprising stats ever.

I think Hammer is implying that Stanton's bats are juiced