• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Josh McCown to Cleveland

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Before people really go crazy on how could they sign this guy over Hoyer maybe you should take a look at his contract. Essentially signing Hoyer means you are tied to him for the next few years to be your starting quarterback. He is going to want more guaranteed money than what the Browns want to give him. I mean Hoyer is a decent quarterback but not one that I am excited to be the head of my team for the next 3-years.

McCown on the other hand is essentially a 1-year deal. He gets a little over $5 million this year (that is nothing considering the cap space the Browns have). This gives them another year of seeing Johnny Football and whether he can pull his life together while giving him a mentor and doesn't hurt the team long-term. They can cut McCown after this season with very very little dead money. Throw in the deal they have with him is greatly tied to incentives. So essentially McCown only gets paid if the team does well while he is starting. Otherwise they can cut him or keep him very much on the cheap.

This really isn't a bad deal for the Browns. Gives them a decent veteran who has shown some ability to play at a high level at times. It gives them a mentor. And it gives them the ability to walk away at any point it is not working.

It's not a bad deal, but it's not one that will make the team better this season...Why? B/c McCown is not even decent imo...I doubt that he will start more than 8 games next yr.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Worse run organization Cleveland or Oakland?

I pick Cleveland at least Oakland had a heyday, the respectable Cleveland Browns play in Baltimore now.

Since 1999, the Cleveland Browns have posted a 84–172 record. 1999 was their first year back after Modell moved the originals to Baltimore.

The Browns did have a heyday, look into their history. Granted it was decades ago though.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not a bad deal, but it's not one that will make the team better this season...Why? B/c McCown is not even decent imo...I doubt that he will start more than 8 games next yr.

The issue is what else could they have done? I think this deal shows they don't believe in Hoyer to be a long-term solution so can't sign him as he wants a long-term deal. At this point in the upcoming draft not sure I get too excited about any of the quarterbacks. Winston is a guy that could be great but he will be long gone by the time they pick and I don't think they want to give up a ton of draft picks to trade up and get him. Mariota could be good but he needs at least a year to develop so say he is falling in the draft and they get a chance well then this gives them the ability to sit him a year and actually let him develop.

Throw in at the quarterback position they have some cost effective things put in place with Manziel being on a rookie contract so not like they are spending big on the quarterback position compared to other teams in the league and like I said it is basically a 1-year deal.

Really in this situation it just comes down to they didn't have many options...Or at least good options to update their team at the quarterback position.

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think I would prefer Hoyer if I'm a Browns fan

No doubt about it. The Browns are thin at QB tho, so I didn't mind the signing, especially if he is going to be a backup.

I'd love to see Hoyer come back.

Sgt Brutus

Goober
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly I could care less if we get Hoyer or not. Yes he is better then the others but still not the answer. I'd rather save the money.

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly I could care less if we get Hoyer or not. Yes he is better then the others but still not the answer. I'd rather save the money.

Cleveland has a ton of cap space and re-signing Hoyer wouldn't be a big hit to it. I'd love to see them snag Suh tbh. Our defense is already solid, and I think in order to be truly competitive we need an elite defense since our offense seems like it is going to be mediocre for the foreseeable future.

Sgt Brutus

Goober
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
definitely not last year..not taking Sammy Watkins and ending up with Johnny fuck Up.
Yeah but Watkins was taken too high imo, at least 3 other rookie recievers that did better

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
definitely not last year..not taking Sammy Watkins and ending up with Johnny fuck Up.

One thing the Browns have down to a science since their return in '99 is making the wrong Draft Day decisions.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The issue is what else could they have done? I think this deal shows they don't believe in Hoyer to be a long-term solution so can't sign him as he wants a long-term deal. At this point in the upcoming draft not sure I get too excited about any of the quarterbacks. Winston is a guy that could be great but he will be long gone by the time they pick and I don't think they want to give up a ton of draft picks to trade up and get him. Mariota could be good but he needs at least a year to develop so say he is falling in the draft and they get a chance well then this gives them the ability to sit him a year and actually let him develop.

Throw in at the quarterback position they have some cost effective things put in place with Manziel being on a rookie contract so not like they are spending big on the quarterback position compared to other teams in the league and like I said it is basically a 1-year deal.

Really in this situation it just comes down to they didn't have many options...Or at least good options to update their team at the quarterback position.

Not much...That why I say it's not a bad deal for CLE...Hoyer is the best short term answer, but he wants a long term deal...not, and I don't blame the Browns.

Personally I don't believe that Manziel is the long term answer either and they would be best served to take Mariota, or Hundley (imo, neither is ready to start in the NFL)...or look at a lessor heralded guy like Petty or Mannion later in the draft.

Short term...see what you have in Manziel like you said...as much as I don't think he's it...I'd rather see him get the shot over McCown...watching him close up a few games this year...he's just not it...if I wanted a stop gap vet...Locker is one name I like.

Sgt Brutus

Goober
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But look who Watkins had throwing the ball to him.
Fair enough, don't get me wrong I would have taken him as the first WR . Who knew Odel Beckham was going to be a freak of nature

TxHeat

Hard Member!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fair enough, don't get me wrong I would have taken him as the first WR . Who knew Odel Beckham was going to be a freak of nature

True. Comparing anyone to him is not really fair, but it will be fun watching Dez and him play against each other twice a year.

GenJac

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Josh McCown already being the proclaimed the probable starter for the Browns? The Browns, on paper, don't seem like they have a chance at the playoffs this year. So why start a mediocre 35 year old journeyman QB? Manziel has been a starter for 6 quarters of football, he hasn't had a chance to develop at all yet so to say he sucks and will never be a starting QB in the NFL is silly. Why not just give him the entire season as starter and see if he can show some development/promise, if not then draft a QB next year but you need to at least see if the guy you spent a 1st round pick a year ago has what it takes to develop into a franchise QB.

They should just tank this season and draft Connor Cook in the next draft.

FantasyBelowZero

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What do you guys think about Pettine saying that Josh McCown will be the presumed starter unless Manziel outplays him? I was kind of surprised because usually coaches will let the situation play out before declaring one man or the other their quarterback.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

cwerph

Go Bucks!
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But look who Watkins had throwing the ball to him.
Josh Gordon missed 2 games with suspension and still led the league 2 years ago on a 4-12 Browns team . . . with a journeyman backup, a 29 year old failed baseball pitcher and another career backup who thinks he is a starter throwing the ball to him for most of the season. Don't want to hear great WR excuses due to poor QB play.