• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Josh Hamilton was wrong for quitting the chew during the season

slugger82685

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
which person are you calling selfish? lol

huskers1217

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm joking..i think its wrong for anyone to call out someone for improving themselves.

slugger82685

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm joking..i think its wrong for anyone to call out someone for improving themselves.

while it might be wrong, the new CBA was created with plenty of time last offseason for Hamilton to try to quit during that time before the season started knowing that he has trouble with addiction and that his mind is not right when he is fighting an addiction.

so to say he should have waited til the season was over is probably wrong, saying that he should have started last offseason before the season started is not wrong IMO.

Senator_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Knee-jerk reaction by Ryan. I'll admit I came to the same conclusion when I found out about it in June.

Best decision Hamilton could of made. Why? Because he made it for his health and he put his life before the game. That's the way it should be.

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i feel for him...quitting chewing is one of the hardest things to do. i'm currently trying to, and i feel like literally punching anyone who is in front of me.

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i know if i was an MLB player and i quit chewing in the middle of the season my play would suffer...

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
i know if i was an MLB player and i quit chewing in the middle of the season my play would suffer...

Then you wouldn't be very professional. Maybe if he earns the league minimum it might be excusable... but Hamilton earned $15mil. And he's making it like his performance drop was because he stopped chewing.

That's going to really make him a popular FA acquisition in the off season.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've quit before(for about 9 months before starting again). The notion that it would somehow affect his play is bullshit. Craving a dip won't make you swing at every pitch thrown at you, but being an undisciplined jackass will.

Al Falfa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've quit before(for about 9 months before starting again). The notion that it would somehow affect his play is bullshit. Craving a dip won't make you swing at every pitch thrown at you, but being an undisciplined jackass will.

This. Of course it effects people differently, but I chewed and dipped for years and gave it up and never thought much about it. I just don't see how it effected his ability to play baseball. Sounds like a bunch of bs. In fact playing baseball should take his mind off the craving. jmo

Senator_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
This. Of course it effects people differently, but I chewed and dipped for years and gave it up and never thought much about it. I just don't see how it effected his ability to play baseball. Sounds like a bunch of bs. In fact playing baseball should take his mind off the craving. jmo

Doesn't chew contain nicotine and isn't that a stimulant that can affect your reactions and more nicotine is absorbed by chewing than smoking.

Companies promote their employees to drink coffee (Usually supplied for free. Ever think about that?) for the stimulant effect that makes them more alert and productive.

If he's able to pick up the ball 1/100 of a second quicker out of the pitcher's hand on chew then I would say it could effect his play when he makes the split second decision to start swinging or not.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Doesn't chew contain nicotine and isn't that a stimulant that can affect your reactions and more nicotine is absorbed by chewing than smoking.

Companies promote their employees to drink coffee (Usually supplied for free. Ever think about that?) for the stimulant effect that makes them more alert and productive.

If he's able to pick up the ball 1/100 of a second quicker out of the pitcher's hand on chew then I would say it could effect his play when he makes the split second decision to start swinging or not.

You got a couple of JAMA or NEMJ studies to cite? Sounds like a load of crap to me.

Al Falfa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Trust me SF, it doesn't work that way. Josh is talking out of his butt. Just like the can't hit in day games garbage in 2011. If tobacco stimulated you do better I'd been a tour golfer or a pro pitcher years ago.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Nicotine reduced decision
time...

Nicotine has been shown to improve reaction time
Revell (1988)

http://legacy.library.ucsf.edu/documentStore/l/j/n/ljn52e00/Sljn52e00.pdf

SF ... read the piece and it certainly backs up your position. Did my Google search and found several others stating the same position. So I stand corrected. Thanks.

"Because the chemical structure of nicotine resembles that of acetylcholine's it is able to bind to, and activate cholinergic receptors. By activating these receptors nicotine is able to improve smoker's reaction time, his attentiveness, and even his short term memory, according to Psychology Today."

Jul 1, 2010 | By Marie Cheour ... Effects Of Nicotine On The Brain | LIVESTRONG.COM

Research all appears to apply to smokers versus chewers ... but I supposed the chemical reacts the same way whether inhaled or digested. Dunno.