• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Jordan Devey named starting right guard

Gold Rush 86

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,413.72
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm actually really surprised by this news.

SANTA CLARA -- The 49ers' starting offensive line to begin the regular season will include a surprise right guard.

Jordan Devey, whom the 49ers' acquired two weeks ago in a trade with the New England Patriots for tight end Asante Cleveland, will move into the starting lineup, 49ers coach Jim Tomsula announced on Tuesday.

Marcus Martin will start at center. Devey worked only the final series of the first half on Saturday night with the 49ers' first-team offense. Devey started four games for the New England Patriots early last season. He was inactive during the Patriots playoff run to the Super Bowl.

"There's a calmness about him in there playing the game -- in himself," Tomsula said of Devey. "He's a good football player. He's a smart guy. he came in and got it quick."

Martin started the first two exhibition games at right guard. Rookie Ian Silberman started Saturday at right guard, with Martin moving to center.

The rest of the 49ers' offensive line is: left tackle Joe Staley, left guard Alex Boone and right tackle Erik Pears.

Gold Rush 86

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,413.72
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So what happens when Kilgore comes back? Do we move Kilgore to RG or C?

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
That is a surprise. Well, let's hope he can do better than he did in NE last year. This could be a very rough season....

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
From PFF's 2014 OL review:

30. Buffalo Bills (22nd)

Pass Blocking Ranking: 23rd, Run Blocking Ranking: 32nd, Penalties Ranking: 4th

Stud: Not his best season but still better than his teammates managed. Cordy Glenn (+6.5) continues to be a reliable if hardly imposing left tackle.

Dud: Two guys played every snap and while Seantrel Henderson finished with the lower grade, he’s an undrafted free agent. The same can’t be said of Erik Pears (-25.0) whose conversion to guard was a disaster.

Breakdown: It did not go well. The investment in Chris Williams seemed odd and he struggled before landing on Injured Reserve. The right side of the line was a liability from Day 1 and while it did get better, it was not to a degree that inspires any confidence in this unit for 2015.

23. New England Patriots (14th)

Pass Blocking Ranking: 31st, Run Blocking Ranking: 8th, Penalties Ranking: 19th

Stud: Our second-team All-Pro right tackle Sebastian Vollmer had himself another good year and avoided the injury bug for a change. Bonus.

Dud: The 306 snaps that Jordan Devey managed were brutal to watch at times. Not much of a pass blocker, he didn’t exactly light it up in the run game either.

Breakdown: Nate Solder had a bad year by his standards and the interior gave up way too much pressure. They did bloody some rookies, but this group appeared a unit in transition, with the team trying to patch up something just good enough to not harm their skill players too much.

So two guys that were the duds on less-than-stellar OLs are now our starting left side. Sweeeeeeeeet....

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what surprise Devey who we traded for won the starting RG with out even really playing. I guess he was good in practice. i think this is a little bit of a shocker. he didnt play on 1st or 2nd teams.

i posted this on the other thread.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
That's got to be the hope. Losing Kilgore for at least six games just kills our OL depth. Ugh. What a freaking disaster. Good thing our first six games are a cakewalk. <Sarcasm.>

HighTopFade

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's see how this works out Thursday. I guess Tomsula sees this as an improvement over Silberman.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
It's almost got to be an improvement over Silberman in terms of pass blocking. I thought Silberman actually showed pretty well for a late-round rookie, particularly in run blocking, but he can't handle starting-caliber NFL DL in pass blocking right now.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
This says a LOT about our O-line......it is worse than I thought. Granted Kilgore is out six games per injury, and Thomas remains more injured than we thought. We should've known something was bad when they even traded for Devey?

Anyway, for now we can only hope chemistry kicks in from here on? Chemistry won't make up for lack of individual talent, but it'll help. This likely means we run more than fans want to see, and we'll start to read the 'conservative' posts.

For me, i've always said balance is the GOAL. Today's NFL is more pass so if we END UP that way, fine. But at this point - knowing how our O-line shaped up - balance is the goal.

BloodType49

FT Bragg NC, aka the center of the universe.
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,210.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Losing Davis after the draft has completely fucked us.....if the FO had an inkling he was retiring I'm sure we would have taken an O Lineman early in the draft, its a good thing we dont have any teams with scary D Lines in our Division.....oh wait:gaah:

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IF we have problems running the ball Devey is out because at least the other guys can run protect.

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I stole this from another forum about Devey. And why I hate PFF rankings for O-linemen. They are dumb. Devey is assignment sound but others around him were not and he got dinged by some idiot at PFF.

Originally posted by DeUh:
He didn´t allow a single sack, hit or hurry in those games.

Starter
Week 1: 0 sacks / 0 hits / 6 hurries
Week 2: 0 sacks / 0 hits / 1 hurry
Week 3: 1 sack / 0 hits / 1 hurry
Week 7: 0 sacks / 3 hits / 1 hurry

Backup
Week 5: 0 sacks / 0 hits / 0 hurries
Week 6: 0 sacks / 0 hits / 0 hurries

PFF Pass Block Grade: -11.4

Another example why I´m not a fan of OL Grades by PFF.
Read more at http://www.************.com/forum/niners/181925-49ers-o-line/page136/#3YIsIMpPK7OuOCAl.99

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Devey played 306 snaps in 2014 (RG: 197 LG: 109) and allowed 1 sack (Week 3 vs OAK) + 3 hits / 9 hurries.

RG Week 1, 2, 3, 5
LG Week 6, 7

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Losing Davis after the draft has completely fucked us.....if the FO had an inkling he was retiring I'm sure we would have taken an O Lineman early in the draft, its a good thing we dont have any teams with scary D Lines in our Division.....oh wait:gaah:

hard to say cause who (ie O-linemen) you draft depends on how value arises? The value that arises in round 2 onward, depends on what happened round 1. Don't think you're saying we should've taken a linemen in round 1, or are you?

even if we did draft one, doesn't mean he goes directly into the line-up AND, be better than what we have now?