• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

jon gruden on dalton

icehole3

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
good espn piece

Last edited by a moderator:

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm curious to see if Troy Polomolu not knowing how to psyche out his old "wunderlic" buddy will net us a few less turnovers against Pittsburgh this year.

bengaldoug

former pessimistic homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No doubt about it...Andy Dalton is the "anti-Carson" style wise....low risk, dependable vs high risk, formerly high reward.....

flamingrey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
No doubt about it...Andy Dalton is the "anti-Carson" style wise....low risk, dependable vs high risk, formerly high reward.....

This is true. But over the course of the next couple years, I'd like to see Dalton shift more towards the middle of that pendulum.

If you're up against Brady or Rodgers in the playoffs, you better be prepared to go all out if you have to. There may be no other way to win.

Dr.Funke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
This is true. But over the course of the next couple years, I'd like to see Dalton shift more towards the middle of that pendulum.

If you're up against Brady or Rodgers in the playoffs, you better be prepared to go all out if you have to. There may be no other way to win.

Brilliant. Less than 9 months ago, Mark Sanchez, on the road both times, beat Peyton manning and Tom Brady in the WC and divisional playoffs.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wish Gruden would get back to coaching..... I'm not sure how many more years I can take of him kissing so much ass on television. It's disgusting.

flamingrey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Will someone please explain to the doofus what the qualifier "if you have to" means. Thanks.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bip,

'If you have to' put Rey's panties in a bunch, can you do it somewhere else?

Dr.Funke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I wish Gruden would get back to coaching..... I'm not sure how many more years I can take of him kissing so much ass on television. It's disgusting.

Gruden is the man. He has already been to 2 SuperBowls, won one. He is young. He would probably be well on his way to his 3rd superbowl had he stayed in the league, and he is one of the benst coaches out there

Also, he is a day ton flyer, so you know he loves beers and women who are 6's

Dr.Funke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

This quote is so generic and dumb. It is like saying 'You may have to score points in a high scoring game' or 'in a defensive battle, you may have to hold them under 20 points' Jesus, 'if you have to' can be used in every possible situation. It is idiotic to say.

"If Cincy has to this weekend, they better be prepared to stop the run" Lol, no Shit!

flamingrey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Dig deeper. (And next time try to read the entire post as a whole, not as individual parts.)

But here, let me dumb it down for you:

Dalton should shift more towards the center over the next couple of years.

Why?

We have a good defense. Taking few chances ourselves offensively leading to many 3-and-outs or stalled drives in general will work against teams with mediocre-to-good offenses; however, against Rodgers and Brady especially, this won't work. They'll shred our defense apart, and those stalled drives because we're too safe too often will put us in a hole. Furthermore, the shift towards the center is needed because there's no switch you can just turn off and on. 'Hey, today we're facing a potent offense, let's take more chances.' No, repetition is key here to build consistency, chemistry, and to fine tune those passes.

I shouldn't have to explain this, but it doesn't surprise me that I do.

Dr.Funke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
He has played 8 games.

How the hell do you even know that he is not 'shifting towards the center'

your logic makes no sense.

Dr.Funke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
and, how do you know they would 'shred our defense' that is complete speculation. The Jets manhandled the pats and colts last year, and a 79 rated QB managed to win both games.

The steelers won TWO superbowls with their QB having horrible games.

flamingrey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Never said he wasn't.

The following statement was made comparing his and Carson's style of play.

Andy Dalton is the "anti-Carson" style wise....low risk, dependable vs high risk, formerly high reward.....

I said, yes, this is true. This is the case. However, over the next couple of years I'd like to see him gravitate towards the middle of those two styles, and not just remain "low risk, dependable" as he currently is.

Context.

Why are we making this difficult?

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lets be civilized like Dhani Jones.

Anyway, I would expect Dalton to improve:

1. He mastering a new offense, it will get more sophisticated and he'll be a part of employing it's use. This should results in more completions and productivity from the passing game. The need to rely on the running game as much will lesson as this process continues.

2. As long as the offensive line stays healthy 1. should continue.

3. Most quarterbacks do better in their second or third year, statistically speaking, than in their first year. He's not on record to break Dan Marino or Peyton Manning's rookie shows, but he doesn't suck either. Those type of guys are rare, good "Luck" finding one.

4. because we are doing 1. Dalton is strapped for the most part. the Conservative mindset put forth by Marvin Lewis may only be temporary. Lewis had regrets about strapping Carson Palmer last year, after reviewing the film in the offseason, he may be open to letting Gruden unleash some points in the next coming years.

flamingrey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
and, how do you know they would 'shred our defense' that is complete speculation. The Jets manhandled the pats and colts last year, and a 79 rated QB managed to win both games.

The steelers won TWO superbowls with their QB having horrible games.

"if you have to"

And those guys all have the ability to. You go into big games assuming the worst, not assuming our defense - one that has shown to struggle for at least halves at a time against even mediocre offenses - will just take care of everything. You're setting yourself up to lose.

As I've made the case many times, this is becoming a passing league. It'll become harder and harder to win in the playoffs without great QB play. Having the great running games won't get you as far anymore, and as was in Ben's case, having some of the best defenses in many decades isn't that easy to come by, you can't just rely on having it at your disposal.

Additionally, I've never said you can't have some success in the playoffs, or that these other QB's aren't beatable any given game. But to consistently do it for 3-4 games is a different story. It's no surprise the Jets have hit a road bump deeper in to the playoffs.

Dr.Funke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
He has played 8 games.

How the hell do you even know that he is not 'shifting towards the center'

your logic makes no sense.