• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

John Schneider

geezer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Carroll and Schneider built a super bowl winning team. A slight advantage was Pete had recruited a lot of these players or knew of them from being in the college game. Each year away from college that knowledge lessons.

With the salary cap forcing us to lose some depth each year we will see a lot of pressure on the front office to replace these players. So are they just average at picking O lineman? How much luck is involved there?

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The truth is that it is very hard to consistently pick players that hit or even have a high rate of hitting.

There was an article a few months back, I think on 538, that talked about good GMs and bad GMs and how the hit rates are surprisingly close. Ultimately a lot of boils down to making a few BIG hits. Sherman and Wilson were big hits, especially when compared to their draft position. Franchise changers to some degree.

It will get tougher for Schneider and Carroll in the next few years. As you say, Carroll won't have as much inside knowledge of some of the players. And the need to hit on later picks will only get bigger as the cap space gets smaller.

Talking about OL in partiular it is hard to say how good or bad they have been in drafting them. Here is a list of the OL this regime has drafted.

Russell Okung(1) - A no brainer. Perhaps not as good as we hoped when drafted still a solid LT.
James Carpenter(1) - Certainly a disappointment. Health has been a problem but he also hasn't performed. At best a slight bust.
John Moffitt(3)- He clearly lost interest in playing football. He was pretty good for us to start but clearly a bust although hard to predict that sort of thing.
None - However JR Sweezy was drafted in the 7th as a DT and converted to a G. Jury is still out.
Ryan Seymour(7) - Irrelevant
Michael Bowie(7) - Showed promise but discovered McDonalds. Still 7th round picks are crap shoots.
Justin Britt(4) - Has shown signs that he will be a quality RT. But still making rookie mistakes sometimes. Uneven play so far to date.
Garret Scott(6) - Minor bust

So they have only drafted 3 players in the top 3 rounds. Players have the first 3 rounds will always have a low hit rate.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yup. My bad. Assuming he continues to grow as a OL that kinda proves my point even more. We just haven't put the kind of emphasis on OL that perhaps we should have.

Tech_God

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Carroll and Schneider built a super bowl winning team. A slight advantage was Pete had recruited a lot of these players or knew of them from being in the college game. Each year away from college that knowledge lessons.

With the salary cap forcing us to lose some depth each year we will see a lot of pressure on the front office to replace these players. So are they just average at picking O lineman? How much luck is involved there?

Huh? That does not make any sense. I'm sure there were a few players that Pete was familiar with because he recruited them for USC or faced them in PAC-10 games but to imply that the well is going dry I think, is flat out wrong, no offense. The fact is that Schneider & Carroll do a great job in researching who out there will be a good fit for the team.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tom Cable has a lot of say about the O-line and that kind of needs to stop.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Amen! Needs to stop ASAP, may be time next off season to move on from Cable IMO. Seahawks haven't had a good OL since he came on board. In fact it has been the worse unit since Pete and John came on board. Some will say WRs but the real problem starts with a OL that can't pass block IMO.

BSUSeahawk

KFFL Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I was talking about that with one of the guys that sits next to us last weekend.

Love Cable as a coach -- but please get him out of the draft room.

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You really don't have to convince me that Tom Cable is awful. Everywhere he goes the run blocking is above average and the pass blocking is awful. Just look at the stats while he was in Oakland.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You really don't have to convince me that Tom Cable is awful. Everywhere he goes the run blocking is above average and the pass blocking is awful. Just look at the stats while he was in Oakland.

Not saying you're wrong, but remember who his QB was while he was the HC in Oakland?

Warden

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Carrol and Schneider have made well over a thousand roster moves. That is a lot of moves that did not work out. What we need to focus on is the moves that do work out because we made enough of those to win a Superbowl, that is what matters. Who gives a shit about the 900 plus moves that did not work out, it is just part of the process in building a team.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I was talking about that with one of the guys that sits next to us last weekend.

Love Cable as a coach -- but please get him out of the draft room.

I guess we could blame him for Carpenter and Moffit but he just joined the staff when those picks were made.

We haven't exactly done a lot to bring in OL talent to the team since he joined.