• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

John Madden Has Died At Age 85

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's pretty cool that he got to see the documentary that aired on Christmas. Got his flowers before he checked out.

RIP to an absolute certified legend

Moab

Hoopla Cash
$ 260.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
RIP...one of those guys that seemed like a common man. One of my favorites was after losing a AFC championship game and some reporter or TV person saying he couldn't win the big one, him coming back with "dog gone it, I wish someone would tell me when a game isn't a big one". Just loved how simple or clearly he saw things and explained them.

molsaniceman

I aint drunk Im just drinking
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,327.46
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Former Raiders coach and long-time football broadcaster John Madden passed away unexpectedly at age 85.​

It's hard to be as good as anything as Madden was at broadcasting, where he cast a shadow that football commentators of today are struggling to live up to. It's also hard to be as good as anything as Madden was at coaching, where he finished his career 103-32-7 with the Raiders and won Super Bowl XI. And yet those two things alone don't adequately describe what he meant to the football world, because he transcended them with his incredibly accurate -- per his insistence -- video games, and a persona that only loomed larger in retrospect. It's a devastating loss for the sport.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw his bus at Foxboro once. I hung around hoping to catch him, but he was somewhere inside the stadium, most likely talking to the laundry crew. The great thing about Madden was that truly appreciated every job associated with a team. I can't find one of my favorite three minute spots he did with a woman who hand sewed all of the repairs and tears on the Raiders jerseys. Most players are very superstitious about things and refuse new jerseys or pants if the team is winnings. Madden called it "magic" because she stitched so fine that the repairs were almost invisible and he was honestly impressed. He was hysterical when he took off his shoe and stuck his foot up and asked if she could fix his sock. His entire heel was sticking out through a hole. She pulled the sock off and the piece ended.

He was the absolute best at what he did for television, more importantly for us fans.

No need for the bus John, the Big Guy just gave you wings and you'll finally enjoy flying. R.I.P.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A legit legend

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sad day for the league. The NFL has lost an irreplaceable legend.

RIP

MTVike

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He never stopped being Coach Madden to me as a fan of 70’s football. And after watching “All Madden” last week, I got the sense he never stopped being Coach to himself. Legend doesn’t begin to do him proper justice. He changed the game in ways no one could have foreseen.

RIP Coach…

Back in the day when you could advance a fumble like rolling a bowling ball.

Janus

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was first analyst to explain more of the details of the game to me in a way that was easy to understand too.

RIP
Good thing too Must have sucked finally finding out after watching all those years before. that there was a volume knob on the TV to help

Sir Robin Of Camelot

You seem angry. Miserable, even.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Back in the day when you could advance a fumble like rolling a bowling ball.
Was thinking after hearing the news yesterday... ol' Bud is the last of that era's great ones.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I hate these guys that just have to push some lame agenda and show no class or respect. Fucking idiots.
Sadly not even the worst John Madden tweet last night. There was another guy comparing him to a slaveowner looking over a digital plantation.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sadly not even the worst John Madden tweet last night. There was another guy comparing him to a slaveowner looking over a digital plantation.

That guy is always on Twitter acting like some know-it-all white knight who is helping the black man. He is annoying and frankly, not half as smart as he thinks he is. I want to see true equality as much as any man but to compare a video game to 19th century slavery is utterly stupid.

Sir Robin Of Camelot

You seem angry. Miserable, even.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's always one of these losers:

I almost responded to that asshole last night but thought better of it. Sometimes it's better to just mute them or block them entirely and let others fill the ego of someone like that.