• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

John Lynch to be new GM

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lynch's first hire - Adam Peters from Denver - a well-respected guy within the business for VP of player personnel. So far, so good. All the doomsayers should just pump the brakes a tad before we have something concrete that says this will be a disaster.

Very good hire. I also like that he is coming from two successful organizations. Brian Jennings was on KNBR this morning. I didn't catch the whole interview but the part I heard was a really good interview. Going to listen to the podcast later today. He talked about the GM and related from his own experience how Singletary failed as coach.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
http://www.************.com/commentary/1651-john-lynch-must-everything-baalke-wasnt/

Good read about what Baalke did wrong. Not that it was such a secret, but nice to read it won't continue.

This doesn't guarantee success, but i like the glass half full mentality.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Niners GM possibly chasing after Broncos executive for his staff. There are some experienced guys on new 49ers general manager John Lynch's list of possible targets to run the team's personnel department under him, but there's another name to watch: Broncos director of college scouting Adam Peters.

Sources said Lynch is enamored with Peters and he's not alone. Within minutes of NFL Network reporting Lynch's interest in Peters, several executives around the league reached out to note what a rising star Peters is in the business.

"Adam Peters is a stud," one executive texted.

Peters began his career as a scout for the Patriots and followed Josh McDaniels to Denver, where he has risen through the ranks in recent years. Peters is a Cupertino, California, native, so he'd be returning home if he's offered, and takes, the 49ers job. One remaining issue is whether the Broncos would allow Peters to leave. John Elway's close relationship with Lynch and Elway's desire to see Lynch succeed could help grease the skids.

-- Mike Garafolo

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Niners GM possibly chasing after Broncos executive for his staff. There are some experienced guys on new 49ers general manager John Lynch's list of possible targets to run the team's personnel department under him, but there's another name to watch: Broncos director of college scouting Adam Peters.

Sources said Lynch is enamored with Peters and he's not alone. Within minutes of NFL Network reporting Lynch's interest in Peters, several executives around the league reached out to note what a rising star Peters is in the business.

"Adam Peters is a stud," one executive texted.

Peters began his career as a scout for the Patriots and followed Josh McDaniels to Denver, where he has risen through the ranks in recent years. Peters is a Cupertino, California, native, so he'd be returning home if he's offered, and takes, the 49ers job. One remaining issue is whether the Broncos would allow Peters to leave. John Elway's close relationship with Lynch and Elway's desire to see Lynch succeed could help grease the skids.

-- Mike Garafolo

By now know Peters was in fact hired, but just to comment on the bolden....why? Denver is in competition too, so they need good talent evaluators.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have to say we are building a strong team in the front office and on the field. I really would like to know who we will go after as our DC. Adding Peters is BIG. Overall I like what York is doing. Its been a long time since I wrote something positive about York. This offseason has been an home run in a way but understand it can also blow up in our faces. hiring a 1st time HC and GM is tough but we are building around these guys. It can be good. Also have a strong feeling after hearing from shanahan and Lynch that they have to find a franchise QB. Big time feeling we are drafting a QB with the 1st pick and word is they like Kizer and watson. Cousin is another option. should be fun to see what happens.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with much of what has already been said. It is a risky. The ongoing concern for me is still a lack of football expertise in the FO. Other than Lynch, You have York, Marathe, and Guido. None of these people have a football background. I hope Gamble sticks around. They really need someone like him in the organization. Not sure what t make of the current scouting department. Were some of the recent poor drafts because of poor scouting or was it due to Baalke being pickheaded when it comes to maklng picks.
A lot of negative about Marathe but people around football says he is great at contracts. He knows payroll and cap and language in contracts. He just needs to stay silent and not talk to the media.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A lot of negative about Marathe but people around football says he is great at contracts. He knows payroll and cap and language in contracts. He just needs to stay silent and not talk to the media.

I think if Marathe just stuck to contracts and cap crunching and other non football business, there would not be an issue

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rumor today is last year's Linebacker's coach Tarver, and Secondary Coach from last year are going to be retained. No word yet on Rathman. If he doesn't leave for another job my guess is he will be retained also. Another rumor is Shanahan will bring Greg Knapp in

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I have to say we are building a strong team in the front office and on the field. I really would like to know who we will go after as our DC. Adding Peters is BIG. Overall I like what York is doing. Its been a long time since I wrote something positive about York. This offseason has been an home run in a way but understand it can also blow up in our faces. hiring a 1st time HC and GM is tough but we are building around these guys. It can be good. Also have a strong feeling after hearing from shanahan and Lynch that they have to find a franchise QB. Big time feeling we are drafting a QB with the 1st pick and word is they like Kizer and watson. Cousin is another option. should be fun to see what happens.

I like that Jed is going after a good HC candidate, and hired a GM who WILL work well with him. He said working well was a big factor, and that is what will happen.

Do like the fact Lynch was able to hire a 'well respected' personnel man, knowing he has his own limitations. It all starts with good drafting so that appears good going forward.

So we'll see how this goes in two years, but it isn't a strong team until proven. Not saying we should be GOOD in two years, but we'll know how much improvement.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like that Jed is going after a good HC candidate, and hired a GM who WILL work well with him. He said working well was a big factor, and that is what will happen.

Do like the fact Lynch was able to hire a 'well respected' personnel man, knowing he has his own limitations. It all starts with good drafting so that appears good going forward.

So we'll see how this goes in two years, but it isn't a strong team until proven. Not saying we should be GOOD in two years, but we'll know how much improvement.
very true. Its a good start overall. Peters was a Big get. Shanahan looks like he is bringing in good coaches. I haven't heard anything about DC yet.

Cut My Red I Bleed Gold

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
very true. Its a good start overall. Peters was a Big get. Shanahan looks like he is bringing in good coaches. I haven't heard anything about DC yet.

So far there are some solid decisions being made, we all have to remember that regardless of how solid the FO and coaching staff rounds out...we have to give them time to deliver the product on the field. We will likely have a few bumpy seasons ahead of us...but dang it's nice to actually feel like making positive posts even though this one was teetering on the fence hahaa.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So far there are some solid decisions being made, we all have to remember that regardless of how solid the FO and coaching staff rounds out...we have to give them time to deliver the product on the field. We will likely have a few bumpy seasons ahead of us...but dang it's nice to actually feel like making positive posts even though this one was teetering on the fence hahaa.
Yes at least 2-3 years. Next year is about improvement and getting better to see what we need and what to add to build shanahan roster.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

agreed.

BTW - Jed has more patience than fans, no doubt in my mind. Fans crumble after two losses in a row, not even talking seasons. :-)

lets hope they don't fail quickly, else everyone on this board will say "i told you so!" haaa

Cut My Red I Bleed Gold

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
agreed.

BTW - Jed has more patience than fans, no doubt in my mind. Fans crumble after two losses in a row, not even talking seasons. :-)

lets hope they don't fail quickly, else everyone on this board will say "i told you so!" haaa

Yea right?? I think any rational fan, or member on this board has to know that it's going to take time. We have to wait and see how everything rounds out with the FO and coaching staff, and see how they approach the draft and FA.

AU_Fever

The secret of getting ahead is getting started.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lynch's first hire - Adam Peters from Denver - a well-respected guy within the business for VP of player personnel. So far, so good. All the doomsayers should just pump the brakes a tad before we have something concrete that says this will be a disaster.

Solid hire by Lynch. In fact Peters might just last a couple of years with the Niners. He will be a hot commodity to become a GM because of his track record. This is a solid start for the Niners regarding the upcoming combine and draft.

AU_Fever

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea right?? I think any rational fan, or member on this board has to know that it's going to take time. We have to wait and see how everything rounds out with the FO and coaching staff, and see how they approach the draft and FA.

The key word is "rational". If the Niners somehow go 8-8 next season, I would say they are ahead of schedule. Gotta be patient. Jed has no choice this time around. Switching head coaches year after year doesn't solve anything. Thus the reason for the 6 year contracts for Lynch and eventually for Shanahan. This is a rebuilding project and it is going to take some time.

Cut My Red I Bleed Gold

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The key word is "rational". If the Niners somehow go 8-8 next season, I would say they are ahead of schedule. Gotta be patient. Jed has no choice this time around. Switching head coaches year after year doesn't solve anything. Thus the reason for the 6 year contracts for Lynch and eventually for Shanahan. This is a rebuilding project and it is going to take some time.

Yep exactly my point. When Jed stepped on the banana peel right in front of Harbaugh...that was the first somersault down the top of the flight of stairs. Now that he's spilled out at the bottom with his bumps and bruises, he's learned that he can and will be held accountable for his novice actions. Now he needs to step back into the shadows, sign checks, and speak to the press only if he's making major personnel moves or is being handed the Lombardi trophy.

AU_Fever

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep exactly my point. When Jed stepped on the banana peel right in front of Harbaugh...that was the first somersault down the top of the flight of stairs. Now that he's spilled out at the bottom with his bumps and bruises, he's learned that he can and will be held accountable for his novice actions. Now he needs to step back into the shadows, sign checks, and speak to the press only if he's making major personnel moves or is being handed the Lombardi trophy.

Love that analogy Cut My Red. Just sign those checks and step back. The Quest for Six begins.