• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Joe Buck

Orlando Eagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just going to put this here.

In this weird time of no sports the sports podcast world is about the only place to go to find interesting content.

Just listened to Joe Buck on a podcast for the second time recently (Bill Simmons podcast today, Chris Longs pod last week).

Here’s the thing...I have NEVER liked Joe Buck. At all. But I kind of do now. He was a great interview both times. I realized listening to him....he was fucking horrible in his early years and it informed me on him to this day. But he has gotten really good (treat this as relative to sports casting) as a play caller.

Even just that aside....he was a really good interview.

dbldwn711

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’ve never been a fan of his either so I’ll try and check out his podcast.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's getting weird in here. Go on a treadmill, take a bike ride, do something, you are going batshit crazy my friend

CaptainStubing

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he may be a decent guy in real life but i don't know very many sports fans that like his play by play. i don't know if it's his delivery or overall personality but in general most people just don't like him.

Rod Freakin' Dangerfield

Bringing the COCK to SportsHoopla!
Hoopla Cash
$ 14.95
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How long before he shows up in the pron industry doing play by play. It beckons.

Orlando Eagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he may be a decent guy in real life but i don't know very many sports fans that like his play by play. i don't know if it's his delivery or overall personality but in general most people just don't like him.

I never liked his play by play. And he talks about that a bit. Talks about how he has trouble looking back on lots of his broadcasts, especially earlier in his career.

I just remember he yapped too much. He showed way too much inflection that sounded like bias, leading to many claims he hates a certain team. He let opinion seep in too much (Randy Moss mooning).

I did not realize this until I thought about it after listening to his candor....he has improved at this. Think of a few play calls:

Stefon Diggs walk off against the Saints in the divisional in 2017.

A week later his call on Patrick Robinson INT and TD (you know this was one Chris Long brought up lol)

Each time the play created the most fantastic explosion from the crowd. And he didn’t talk over it too much. Few words, lots of pause. I appreciate that in a play by play guy.

As an Iggs fan....I remember one more from....was it 2010? DeSean Jackson’s walk off punt return. Few words, but right words to share.

A few weeks ago I would not expect I would talk up Joe Buck. But I kind of see it now, and I appreciate the way he calls games now, at least in big play moments.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is still not very good. He went from "Totally Sucks" to "Sucks but not totally".

huskers1217

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's getting weird in here. Go on a treadmill, take a bike ride, do something, you are going batshit crazy my friend

i just want to be alone..sit in a dark corner and listen to harry kalas through headphones.

is that too much to ask?

Scooby-Doo

Ruh-roh
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

In this weird time of no sports the sports podcast world is about the only place to go to find interesting content.

Just listened to Joe Buck on a podcast for the second time recently (Bill Simmons podcast today, Chris Longs pod last week).

Here’s the thing...I have NEVER liked Joe Buck. At all. But I kind of do now. He was a great interview both times. I realized listening to him....he was fucking horrible in his early years and it informed me on him to this day. But he has gotten really good (treat this as relative to sports casting) as a play caller.

You should listen to his Howard Stern interview. It's great

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I've never been a fan of his. Who are you to take away my hating pleasure? I'd rather chew glass.....

Mofo

Infamous Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,979.64
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Baseball, he's passably awful.

For football, the guy just will not shut the hell up. His greatest ability seems to be that he's able to accurately guess the number of yards advanced on a short throw or pass (though maybe this is fed to him from one of the production staff). But he is unable to resist giving color commentary and passing judgment on players, coaches and staff. That's supposed to be Aikman's job, who I now suspect has CTE from too many shots to the head, he clams up when Buck starts to rant.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i hate joe buck, give me a bit more to make me want to watch his podcast

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

For football, the guy just will not shut the hell up. His greatest ability seems to be that he's able to accurately guess the number of yards advanced on a short throw or pass (though maybe this is fed to him from one of the production staff). But he is unable to resist giving color commentary and passing judgment on players, coaches and staff. That's supposed to be Aikman's job, who I now suspect has CTE from too many shots to the head, he clams up when Buck starts to rant.
baseball yuck. The only sport the players can be mic'd up and hold a full conversation as they "play" the game.....Must take alot of concentration

Orlando Eagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

So..... maybe he just trying to support Aikman through his growing brain fog? That just makes a good partner. Think about it....what’s the one thing we hear the most from Aikman anymore? “That’s a good point, Joe”. Prompting. The color guy should never have to say that to the play by play guy.

He talked a little about one aspect that comes to mind now. They were talking about how three man booths are hard to do right, and more how putting Booger out of the booth on MNF makes it a tougher broadcast.

He mentioned that while one is talking the other is often on the other line with producers and if you really want them to hear and play off a point you have to reach out and grab their arm while saying it.

I think he has to prompt Aikman a lot. I can imagine at this point it’s very tough for Aikman to multi task.

Orlando Eagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i hate joe buck, give me a bit more to make me want to watch his podcast

:noidea:
He says “fuck” a few times. This just made me giggle. And another part of me mocked “that’s a disgusting act” at the same time lol

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey! There’s ball-scratching and spitting involved too!
yeah, all the running too.........

Cracks me up how they warm up for an hour before the game then sit around for 3 hours

Mofo

Infamous Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,979.64
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So..... maybe he just trying to support Aikman through his growing brain fog? That just makes a good partner. Think about it....what’s the one thing we hear the most from Aikman anymore? “That’s a good point, Joe”. Prompting. The color guy should never have to say that to the play by play guy.

He talked a little about one aspect that comes to mind now. They were talking about how three man booths are hard to do right, and more how putting Booger out of the booth on MNF makes it a tougher broadcast.

He mentioned that while one is talking the other is often on the other line with producers and if you really want them to hear and play off a point you have to reach out and grab their arm while saying it.

I think he has to prompt Aikman a lot. I can imagine at this point it’s very tough for Aikman to multi task.
Sounds like the solution is to dump Aikman, and get someone who’s had a couple dozen less concussions as the color guy.