• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Joe Barry hired.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its cool dude. As usual we disagree on our expectation on something in reference to the Redskins. But short of Danny and Bruce pulling a miracle worker special and getting Gregg Williams to come back to run the defense, I fully expect the defense to be worse next year irrespective of the "talent" brought in.

My logic being, Average coach with marginal talent usually results in average to below average production.

New coach, with marginal to even exceptional talent usually translates to a bottom five defense.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure I agree with that last part Shark, a new guy is not a guarantee to fail. But whatever, I'm done talking Hasslett too.

I was all set to tell Dad to stop with this "he's not been hired" talk. We knew for a day before the contract was signed who our new GM was going to be. Where there's smoke there's always fire.

But there sure seems to be a lot of "not so fast" reports out there now. Could it be that they floated the rumor out there to test the reaction as they did with Fassel years ago? As much as I hate this hire that would be even worse news. You don't make decisions based on fan reaction and if this is the case here it shows that nothing has changed.

TCB

Run like the wind!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shark will be like a Great White circling his prey each game the defense is exposed.

Mitziman

i know you don't like to hear the truth, but...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,454.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Joe Barry is the son-in-law of Dallas Cowboys DC Rod Marinelli.

Hmmm...

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DGF... statistics back my claim. In the majority of the cases when a coordinator (particularly on defense) is fired under the basis that the unit under performed, generally the unit does worse the following year. Now depending on the strength of the DC in question, usually this is a transition year and can be lived with. But thats assuming the candidate in question has some sort of resume that warrants a wait and see approach. Barry does not.

As far as floating things for fan reaction, you got to think Dan is in the business of selling hope this time of year. Hope sells tickets. So while I dont expect the fan confidence to be the deciding factor, I do think in his eyes as a man selling a product, it will carry some weight.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Joe Barry is the son-in-law of Dallas Cowboys DC Rod Marinelli.

Hmmm...

Just because you have Thanksgiving Dinner with your father the Neurosurgeon, does not mean you are qualified to do a lobotomy. :)

Mitziman

i know you don't like to hear the truth, but...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,454.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DGF... statistics back my claim. In the majority of the cases when a coordinator (particularly on defense) is fired under the basis that the unit under performed, generally the unit does worse the following year. Now depending on the strength of the DC in question, usually this is a transition year and can be lived with. But thats assuming the candidate in question has some sort of resume that warrants a wait and see approach. Barry does not.

As far as floating things for fan reaction, you got to think Dan is in the business of selling hope this time of year. Hope sells tickets. So while I dont expect the fan confidence to be the deciding factor, I do think in his eyes as a man selling a product, it will carry some weight.

You know what they say about "statistics" don't you Shark? "Statistics are like a bikini...they show you a lot, but not everything".

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On side note, the Niners did NOT name Fangio as their head coach, instead promoting his D-line coach over him.

So maybe there is hope that the Skins actually upgrade over Haslett... which is all I ask if you are going to fire a guy. Dont fire a man and bring in some one who by all accounts is not qualified to do at least as well.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
how come this wasn't reported on espn or redskins.com?

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whatever happened to the Doom and Gloom thread?

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its an upgrade I tell ya.

Hmmm. Well, I guess you earned the right to say I told you so:lol:.

I will say this. At least they did a thorough search and interview process before deciding on this guy. So they must have seen something in him that put him above some other more experienced (and successful) candidates.

So I'll try not to bash him to much to early. I'll wait until at least the second preseason game.

TCB

Run like the wind!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hmmm. Well, I guess you earned the right to say I told you so:lol:.

I will say this. At least they did a thorough search and interview process before deciding on this guy. So they must have seen something in him that put him above some other more experienced (and successful) candidates.

So I'll try not to bash him to much to early. I'll wait until at least the second preseason game.

This is where Shark shines!