• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Jimmy Graham

Banned 10x

aka Raindrop
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did everybody see this? I just don't see how we could afford to sign him and still have the money for ET, Sherman, RW etc

NFL Trade Rumors: Green Bay Packers, Seattle Seahawks eyeing Jimmy Graham?

The NFL franchise tag deadline is this afternoon, but the New Orleans Saints have already gone ahead and used their tag on tight end hybrid Jimmy Graham. The idea of tagging Graham seems to be so the Saints can have time to work out a long-term deal, but there may be other plans afoot when it comes to Graham’s future.
While hardly a report, ESPN’s Adam Schefter noted on Monday morning that the idea of the Green Bay Packers or Seattle Seahawks trading for Graham isn’t as crazy as it seems — or is it?
In order to acquire Graham, a team would have to sign him to an offer sheet and then hope that the Saints don’t match. If the Saints don’t — or can’t — match the offer, then the team signing Graham would trade two first-round picks to New Orleans to get him.
Both the Packers and Seahawks are in win now modes, and while they built though the draft, adding a dynamic and game changing weapon like Graham is unthinkably attractive. For the Saints, getting two first-round draft picks (which equates to a total of four) is a hard bargain to pass up, although Graham is hardly chump change to just toss to another team.

Logicallylethal

Hoopla Cash
$ 933.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not a real rumor it's just adam schefter talking out of his ass. Schefter is under the impression that we are in such a win now mode that we should mortgage our entire future to acquire Jimmy Graham and in the process lose two first rounders and leave no money to sign Russell Okung, Earl or Sherman.

Banned 10x

aka Raindrop
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not a real rumor it's just adam schefter talking out of his ass. Schefter is under the impression that we are in such a win now mode that we should mortgage our entire future to acquire Jimmy Graham and in the process lose two first rounders and leave no money to sign Russell Okung, Earl or Sherman.

That explains it.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This^^^^^^^

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who's Jimmy

Destroydacre

Throws stuff out windows
Hoopla Cash
$ 90.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't imagine that PC and JS would be particularly enamored with Graham in the first place based on what they've seen from him in person.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Considering how much the Seahawks keep their TE in to block on passing plays, I'm not sure they would trade for him unless it was with the intention to move him to WR full time. If the Seahawks want to trade for a WR, they could trade for Josh Gordon, who is cheaper in dollar terms and would likely cost roughly the same in terms of draft pick compensation.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not going to happen. Just some off season media BS.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Considering how much the Seahawks keep their TE in to block on passing plays, I'm not sure they would trade for him unless it was with the intention to move him to WR full time. If the Seahawks want to trade for a WR, they could trade for Josh Gordon, who is cheaper in dollar terms and would likely cost roughly the same in terms of draft pick compensation.

I agree, Graham isn't a very good blocker which would kill our running game. We need a solid blocking TE for the stretch running plays in the zone blocking scheme or the inside lanes just won't be there. Moving him to WR for that kind of price seems like a waste.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Adam Schefter's usually decent but this makes no sense. There are too many guys who will need paid in the very near future to pay graham 9-10 million a year. (If gronk took almost 9 while still under contract, graham has to be more, right? I like gronk better but graham has more leverage.)

Also, win now with many of your impact players on their rookie contracts seems odd. Sure, you can't keep them all, but the ones you do will have plenty of years left and there's no rush. A young team that's still in win now mode would be someone like New England, who is among the younger teams in the league but have a QB who's getting closer to the end of his career, not Seattle who has a third year QB.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My boss (who is usually very knowledgeable on football, moreso college) pinged me that this was a rumor yesterday. When I did a bit more research and saw it was some analyst talking out of his butthole I chuckled.

Green Bay or Seattle? LOL, both make absolutely zero sense.

Green Bay needs a defense and that's exactly where their first round picks are going. Rodgers/Lacy is PLENTY for that offense to generate points and they still have some decent wideouts. They need O-Line and D.

Seattle has no cap room to sign someone like Jimmy Graham even with the release of Rice/Bryant. They're going to have enough issues signing Bennett who turned that defense from great into elite let alone the other cogs in the defense, Thomas and Sherman. This isn't even counting Wilson.

So according to Adam, Seattle is going to trade two first round picks for Graham, and then not be able to sign Bennett, Thomas, or Sherman (due to Wilson). Right.......

Okung really doesn't factor in since he's getting paid great money as is since he was 6th overall in non-CBA year. Okung also isn't going to get crazy money considering he's injury prone. I don't see him taking up any more cap space than he already does.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My boss (who is usually very knowledgeable on football, moreso college) pinged me that this was a rumor yesterday. When I did a bit more research and saw it was some analyst talking out of his butthole I chuckled.

Green Bay or Seattle? LOL, both make absolutely zero sense.

Green Bay needs a defense and that's exactly where their first round picks are going. Rodgers/Lacy is PLENTY for that offense to generate points and they still have some decent wideouts. They need O-Line and D.

Seattle has no cap room to sign someone like Jimmy Graham even with the release of Rice/Bryant. They're going to have enough issues signing Bennett who turned that defense from great into elite let alone the other cogs in the defense, Thomas and Sherman. This isn't even counting Wilson.

So according to Adam, Seattle is going to trade two first round picks for Graham, and then not be able to sign Bennett, Thomas, or Sherman (due to Wilson). Right.......

Okung really doesn't factor in since he's getting paid great money as is since he was 6th overall in non-CBA year. Okung also isn't going to get crazy money considering he's injury prone. I don't see him taking up any more cap space than he already does.

The Packers make sense in they are losing James Jones and possibly Finley for this next season. Yes they still have a couple of receiving options and of course any time you have Aaron Rodgers throwing the football even average receivers can do well but they do have a ton of Cap Space this year so why not make that one big splash signing a Jimmy Graham type player? Yes they need help on defense more so than anywhere else but then again they would still have a ton of Cap Space even after signing Graham to still go and get other players. The only reason in my book that it doesn't make sense for Green Bay is the giving up of draft picks in return.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Giving up this years 32nd and next years 32nd wouldn't be that bad of a deal, but considering the money he's looking for, we'd have to really start painfully cutting into our roster.

I just can't see how we could afford to add his salary.