• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Jimmie Ward pick reviews from media

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ward could be an excellent nickle corner. but what about the starting corners? i look at the roster and it scares me.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Harbaugh called Jimmie Ward a safety, so I don't think this guy is a future starter at CB.

I'm hoping Dontae Johnson shocks the world & becomes a starter, but we'll see. I'm not happy about the CB position.

erckm510

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ward could be an excellent nickle corner. but what about the starting corners? i look at the roster and it scares me.

I just feel like people have been looking at the CB position for the last 3 years and been underwhelmed but for the most part they have been ok. I think the Niners scheme their CB's very well.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Vaughn McClure:

NIU safety Jimmie Ward was one of the primary players the Falcons wanted to trade back into the first round to get. Picked by 49ers at 30.

-AC-

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Vaughn McClure:

NIU safety Jimmie Ward was one of the primary players the Falcons wanted to trade back into the first round to get. Picked by 49ers at 30.

This is exactly why words like "reached" are way over used by the so-called experts...

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Only 8 reps on Bench. Needs to add strength if he wants to play in the NFL.

Bench press as done at the combine is not representative of strength. It's representative of muscular endurance.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
after reading the articles on him, yeah he'll be fine as the NB.

but Baalke made it clear he isn't slated for CB, so the small "issue" for me is.............why spend a 1st rounder on a part-time player? Baalke and Harbaugh said 60% is a 'starter', but sorry that doesn't cut it.

it isn't as bad as spending a 1st rounder on an NT (33% snaps?), but still?

Given the way the Niners run their substitutions, what positions are not "part time" players? If we assume we're building a team from scratch (ie no Willis or Bowman), we're looking at the entire OL, QB, ILB (assuming talent warrants always being on the field) and CB.

Now, it's a safe bet we weren't going to draft a QB that would start over Kaepernick in 2014, so we can scratch that position. We also weren't going to draft a starting OT or OG (those 4 spots are set). I think it's safe to say we weren't drafting a LB that would take Willis or Bowman's job (his injury isn't long term in the true sense of the word).

CB obviously is a position we could have addressed, but given that we didn't trade up (please don't say we should have traded up for Player X, we have no idea how much effort Baalke made to move up, nor the cost of such a move), you're left with . . . Bradley Roby and that's it I believe. He had a sudden character issue come out a week or so before the draft. Given the mess we're in with Aldon and Cully, could we afford that on a player that MIGHT be able to start as a rookie? Had we taken Roby, we likely get a player that would have been a nickel back as a rookie with the potential to start. Which is exactly what we got in Ward, except with character off the charts from what I understand.

I've also read from a lot of posters on this board that Eric Reid is better suited as a SS than a FS. Well, by drafting Ward we open up the possibility of Ward at FS and Reid at SS for the foreseeable future.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Given the way the Niners run their substitutions, what positions are not "part time" players? If we assume we're building a team from scratch (ie no Willis or Bowman), we're looking at the entire OL, QB, ILB (assuming talent warrants always being on the field) and CB.

Now, it's a safe bet we weren't going to draft a QB that would start over Kaepernick in 2014, so we can scratch that position. We also weren't going to draft a starting OT or OG (those 4 spots are set). I think it's safe to say we weren't drafting a LB that would take Willis or Bowman's job (his injury isn't long term in the true sense of the word).

CB obviously is a position we could have addressed, but given that we didn't trade up (please don't say we should have traded up for Player X, we have no idea how much effort Baalke made to move up, nor the cost of such a move), you're left with . . . Bradley Roby and that's it I believe. He had a sudden character issue come out a week or so before the draft. Given the mess we're in with Aldon and Cully, could we afford that on a player that MIGHT be able to start as a rookie? Had we taken Roby, we likely get a player that would have been a nickel back as a rookie with the potential to start. Which is exactly what we got in Ward, except with character off the charts from what I understand.

I've also read from a lot of posters on this board that Eric Reid is better suited as a SS than a FS. Well, by drafting Ward we open up the possibility of Ward at FS and Reid at SS for the foreseeable future.

:agree::clap::clap::clap:

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Vaughn McClure:

Not sure I buy that. Ward went 7 spots ahead of the Falcons' 2nd-round pick. If they wanted him so badly, they could have traded up from round 2 to get him.

But you never know what other factors were in play...

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

Thank you.

In hindsight I should have included the possibility that we could have drafted a safety that would have started over Bethea, but I don't know who that would be (at least who would have a better shot than Ward).

I think it's worth noting the draft position of safeties this year.

18 - Calvin Pryor
21 - Ha-Ha Clinton-Dix
27 - Deonne Buchanon
30 - Jimmie Ward
68 - Dezmen Southward

So there were 37 guys drafted after we took Jimmie Ward before the next safety was taken. That suggests we got him at the right point. I don't think we were getting a starting safety if we didn't take Ward when we did.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Not sure I buy that. Ward went 7 spots ahead of the Falcons' 2nd-round pick. If they wanted him so badly, they could have traded up from round 2 to get him.

They may have been trying. They may have called us.

optimist4720

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Actually, Joyner S/Slot CB was picked at #41 and Brooks S was picked at 79...both close to Ward in terms of size and usage possibilities. Ward was mocked between 35-62 a lot so you point than he was "ripe" for picking at #30 is about spot on. Mocks are only an approximation and with the run on corners coming to an end who's to say we didn't get what we wanted right there at #30. Roby also an option but we passed so we obviously felt we liked Ward better due to his versatility. Of course, we can discuss whether CB vs. slot/S was what we need more but I feel fine with the pick of Ward given what we need now and him projecting to be a "poor man's" Earl Thomas comparison observed by others. Willing to give a lot of latitude on the pick given the comparisons and pure need at the slot. I actually like the pick now. also, Like the "RAW Hyde " pick for the power running game we run. Just wished we picked up a size speed guy WR but overall good picks up to #100. The late picks are fine also ..a tryout for the team essentially with massive CB picks...a sort of see what pans out. Very happy we didn't give away assets just to get 1 guy but filled out the roster to beef up everything at wholesale salary pricing ...so staying true to Baalke's vision as how to keep salary down at a manageable level as we get ready to extend and pay Kap and Aldon...and try to retain Crabby and possibly Iupati. So overall, an A- for not overreaching and filling needs.:suds:

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

we use different packages like all teams, but you're not convincing me we substitute regularly. that is what you're implying, we substitute on a regular basis. you're not convincing me all players are part-time players, that is what you're saying.....there are no 'starters' because everyone is part-time.

we all know how Fangio substitutes, he doesn't......unless he has to.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2

On the flipside only being 7 spots away might've been the reason they didn't aggressively trade up to get him.

They likely looked at the teams ahead of them and liked their chances of him falling to them or being able to trade up a little higher in the 2nd round to grab him.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Was checking out Ward's player page on CBSSports. If you go down to the mock draft section and click through the tabs (Rang, Brugler, Prisco, Kirwan), three of the four have Ward going in the first. Rang has him going at 30 in fact, though only after projecting the Niners trading with the Ravens.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IDK why there are people suggesting Reid is a better SS than FS... Reid has been pretty legit all season long. The guy rarely got beat at all.... Unfortunately his worse game was indeed the NFC title gm but 1 of 19 possibly played that one poster/fan can clearly call him out on? pretty damn good.

Reid is our FS...

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
aren't our safeties "interchangeable"? well ok, not EXACTLY.

but it isn't as distinct positions like the past.

NinersFan80

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IDK why there are people suggesting Reid is a better SS than FS... Reid has been pretty legit all season long. The guy rarely got beat at all.... Unfortunately his worse game was indeed the NFC title gm but 1 of 19 possibly played that one poster/fan can clearly call him out on? pretty damn good.

Reid is our FS...

I really only remember him getting beat once or twice all year.. He has more missed tackles and concussions then anything but he is a hard hitter, it will happen

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bench press as done at the combine is not representative of strength. It's representative of muscular endurance.

Not only that, but it's a decent indication of how much time a player spends in the weight room.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not only that, but it's a decent indication of how much time a player spends in the weight room.

Not so much, it could just be a physical weakness. For example, I was a college athlete that had been lifting 4x per week minimum since I was 15 until 22. I couldn't bench for shit. I beasted squats and other weight work, but I couldn't bench to save my life.