• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Jim Trotter on AJ Jenkins on Seattle Radio

EaseUrStorm

Chief Imagination Officer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'm really hoping it was the mental issue of absorbing the playbook that held him back last year and now he'll finally be playing at full speed. I'm hoping the coaches were overly harsh on him last year and it's not a physical weakness that CB's exploited. Once the NFL corners find a weakness they'll sit on it until the WR finds a way to overcome it, or is out of the league. He should have the speed and ability to blow up 3rd CB's, so now he just needs to go out there and prove it.

Breaker99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How come all the media reports are that Jenkins is doing great things in practice and has suddenly emerged, but this one report on "Seattle radio" suggests concern?

Seriously, all the local beat writers were saying he was shinning, we have something positive to talk about for once in regards to Jenkins.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
As some know, I wasn't much a fan or really an informed fan about Jenkins other than big10 football...

I wanted Hill at that selection but whatever now...

Other than this "speed" gift he supposedly brings, what did Harbaalke see in AJ to draft him? The no dog comment is pretty alarming, that's a hit on his character.

As Iam's article points out, other than his bench, all of his testing numbers were very good. He is fast, quick, and fluid. That article makes some physical comparisons. Here's another: Torry Holt.

A.J. Jenkins*|*Illinois,*WR*:*2012 NFL Draft Scout Player Profile

Torry Holt*|*North Carolina State,*WR*:*1999 NFL Draft Scout Player Profile

They're virtually identical size-wise, and AJ's numbers are all better. Holt didn't do the three-cone or shuttle, but AJ's times were quite good in those areas, so it's unlikely Holt would have been much better if any.

I don't know if Jenkins can make a go of it in the NFL, but the physical tools are there. He doesn't need to be the most physical guy out there, but in the open passing game that is today's NFL, he has the talent to be very effective if he's willing to fight for that starting spot.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I have a strong feeling about Patton for some reason.

I really hope you're right. I wasn't a big fan of Patton going into the draft, but that's when he was projected in the second and Crabtree was healthy. I wanted a guy with physical tools (either size or speed, ideally both) to stretch the field. But getting Patton in the fourth seemed like great value, and having learned more about him, I like him. Not great in any one physical area, but good across the board. And passionate. There have been quite a few very good receivers who fit that description.

yossarian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How come all the media reports are that Jenkins is doing great things in practice and has suddenly emerged, but this one report on "Seattle radio" suggests concern?

Seriously, all the local beat writers were saying he was shinning, we have something positive to talk about for once in regards to Jenkins.

It was Jim Trotter, a national SI writer.

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
"that he "has no dog in him"

This bugs me.....I have a personal rule, not sure if anyone agrees, but you can only say something like "he has no dog in him" if you actually have dog in yourself. You don't go around sitting on the sidelines, or on your couch, or in front of the computer, ripping guys who take hits for a living unless you can back it up. Trotter comes off trying to sound like a tough guy.

All that said, I do hope Jenkins has some "dog" in him.

EaseUrStorm

Chief Imagination Officer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think Trotter was unknowingly watching Jenkins work through a hamstring issue. He might have been holding back a little to avoid tearing it. The trainers/position coach might have told him to limit flying around so he wouldn't tear it. You never really know. Don't want to sound like excuses, but I will give him the Alex Smith benefit of doubt for this year anyway. We need this guy to step up!

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
The last two practices there has been reports he's fought for the ball a couple of times so that "dog" might be coming out.

In a sense though for him the "dog" would be nice but we ideally want him to blow by guys not have to fight for the ball.

So I think having "dog" in him is more important for a guy like Boldin, Crabtree, Patton, and other guys that have to rely on being able to fight for possession of a ball than being able to beat guys with speed.

willtalk

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
More questions?

In the last couple of practice's all of his catches have been short yardage from the slot. The long catch he made a couple days ago was a last play against the practice squad playing at half speed. I don't think he will be a edge receiver. When he was pressed by the same cb he beat for the long td ( when he played far off the line) the day before in the last practice, he couldn't break free. I think he is a slot receiver and the team just misjudged his potential ability to be able to play on the edge when he is pressed. I hope my suspicions turn out wrong, but he has of yet not shown the ability to stretch the field under pressure.