• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Jim Thome and the Hall of Fame!

Tigertowner68

Church of Baseball member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He doesn't look like the typical guy who used PEDs though. He looks like the same guy now as he did 10 years ago. Plus the people who are guilty by association were mentioned somewhere, either in the Mitchell Report, by Canseco or some other way. JMO

I sort of agree. But I have thought the same thing about players other than Bonds when I consider their appearance.

Barry Bonds was the only PED user that clearly looked like he cheated. His freaking head looked like a helium balloon.

Can you look at Alex Rodriguez and draw the conclusion just by his appearance that he cheated? Or Ryan Braun? I don't think you could legitimately tell that any of these guys other than Bonds cheated based solely on their appearance and body structure.

Tigertowner68

Church of Baseball member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, just seeing a piece by Kurkjian where he argues that Thome has Hall of Fame credentials. I am inclined to agree that he was a terrific player and should be a Hall of Famer not because he hit 600 home runs but because he was friggin' good for a long period of time.

However, Kurkjian writes this crappy line:

"Thome's numbers came without flair, flash or controversy, especially involving steroids."

Uh, Tim are you sure? Weren't you guys on ESPN the one's promoting how PURE A-Rod was and how great it would be when he passed Bonds and then the home run record would be clean again? :ss: Oooops. How did that work out for you? And then you guys told us it was only because of Texas. Clowns!

Now I am not saying that Thome used steroids but if everybody else is guilty by association why is Thome all of a sudden clean but so many others are dirty. And why is every player that the writers don't like personally all thrown in that mix as well?

Now frankly, I've always been a big Thome fan and thought he was vastly underrated as a player. I just think that Kurkjian should refrain from going on these little pious tangents and quit propping up people as saints or sinners when in the end none of it is going to matter.

:agree:

Nailed it girl!

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, no living player is going into the Hall of Fame this year. Top two vote-getters, Biggio and Morris, both a shade under 70%.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Lost in the ABYSS that is Islanders Hockey.
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know Thome played some 1B, but I have a hard time putting a DH in the Hall of Fame. If a player can't play the field, I don't believe he's a complete player. Therefore he doesn't belong in the Hall of Fame.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thome played 1106 games at 1st and 493 at 3rd. He didn't become a regular DH until '06. Thome had 55.4 WAR from 91-05, most of which was spent at 1B/3B (with occasional games as a DH).

ImSmartherThanYou

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know Thome played some 1B, but I have a hard time putting a DH in the Hall of Fame. If a player can't play the field, I don't believe he's a complete player. Therefore he doesn't belong in the Hall of Fame.

Yeah, you have no fucking clue what you're talking about.

ImSmartherThanYou

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Edgar Martinez can't get in I don't see why Thome should.

I don't see why you'd compare the two. One was a DH who briefly played at 3B, the other was a 1B who briefly played at 3B and wrapped up his career as a DH. Thome played much longer and amassed the milestone numbers that the writers drool over.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will agree with you THE SECOND HE DIES.

He is currently serving a lifetime ban. He has no right to be there until that sentence is over.

He committed the cardinal sin. You cannot go easy on that.

You have to admit how mlb is sticking to their guns about this but I just don't get how they aren't budging on this issue but are caving on the steroid issue. I get the bans and whatnot but if you are going to continue to keep Rose out of the Hall... Why does it seem they are more lax on the issue of Steroids..?