• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Jets @ Red Wings - Tonight 7 PM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Well...can't count on wings for shit!!

I understand what you're saying, but when a skater in the shootout enters your crease area and gets you to freeze, as though he has hypnotized you, you are going to give one up. He needs to keep his brain focused on the puck on the blade, not what the players head or hips are doing. He seems to be consistently giving the shooter the advantage, instead of taking control of that same advantage.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
This team must make some progress of improvement in their own end, since their upcoming schedule is going to test their character; and, if this is the character that they are going to carry forward, they aren't going to be challenging the teams at the top of their conference any longer. They just don't seem to possess a demeanor of 'refusing to lose' as opposed to 'attempting not to lose'. These two positions are far from similar.

Winnipegger

Detroit Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
4-3 Jets. Why is it that so often, our team energy level resembles a beer league game against the bottom feeders? In spite of a bullshit call, we still allowed the Jets 2nd PP goal of the night. Where has that so-called "top-notch" PK unit go?

The Jets are bottom feeders now? :scratch:

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
The Jets are bottom feeders now? :scratch:

Apparently, not at this juncture in the season, and good for them. Personally, I like the franchise and have been pouring out well-wishes for them since they have become part of the NHL, but, remember that 58 games doesn't define a season in this league. The 3 teams trailing the Jets in their division all have games in hand, and although they are 5, 8, and, 11 points ahead of those teams, if those teams happen to win those games which they have in their pockets, the Jets will then be in advance of them by 2, 3 and 7 points - and that would be "from the bottom".
Granted, no team should be judged presently on where they've been in seasons past, no more than where they find themselves at any juncture of where they are during the present season, since development of younger players and additions from season to season, change both the landscapes and chemistry of teams. But, all too often, reality sets in and key players get lost from active rosters, and, then, the familiarity of the past sets in once again, where, the appearance of the new look of our teams, quickly turns to the spoils of the past.
Who knows what will happen in the 34% of games remaining in the Red Wings' season or the 29% of the Jets' season that remains? Detroit has 10 very challenging games ahead of them in succession, 8 against very good teams, and 2 against teams that are playing near the level that the Wings are playing right now; and, if that level of inconsistent play continues, this team could easily find themselves in 8th place in their conference at the end of that stretch. Similarly, starting in 11 days (Feb. 26th), the Jets will face a very similar test of 10 consecutive games on the horizon, where 9 of those teams are very good and one is 5 games above .500 and always a tough matchup with Luongo in net. After those next 13 games for both (on March 14th), we'll take another look at where everybody is in the standings, then we'll see at that point how my statement stands up to the test. I may have to eat crow at that point, which I will gladly do, if that message stands out more clearly with bright lights abounding in your question to me, or on a much different front, rather, where the Jets are today, it sends out a much clearer message of the true direction where their franchise is headed down the road in the NHL.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
(Regarding my previous message, I forgot to include this):

Hopefully, the present look of this Jets team remains the same, Hutchinson has been the difference in net - he's a huge presence there; it's difficult to see how opposing players can get much by that towering giant. Also, what I see to be a big asset for the 3 forwards (Little, Ladd, and Wheeler), who average 45 points apiece, is that they average +12 (in the +/- department), which has a tendency to show responsibility on the defensive side of the puck. Also, we all know what a major benefit Byfuglien is to any team; he's generally consistent on the defensive side of the game, and he provides solid support on the other side of the puck, too.
Jets supporters better hope that those four remain on the roster for their remaining 24 games, and, especially, that none of them are on the mend for that very tough 10 game stretch from the later part of February through the middle of March. I'm one of those who hope that they remain healthy.

Winnipegger

Detroit Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The difference isn't as simple as just Hutchinson in net. Having watched every single game at least once since the team came here I can safely state that Paul Maurice has given this team an identity that it lacked under Claude Noel for the first two-three seasons. Maurice has been emphasizing bringing down goals against since his first day on the job, and his system is the biggest reason why Hutchinson's numbers are so good. Pavelec's GAA is 2.55 this year, down from his career GAA of 3.07 heading into this season. Maurice really should be in consideration for the Jack Adams, the Jets played a month without their top four defensemen and they rose in the standings. (I don't want to take too much shine off of Hutch, I think he is critical to any possible playoff run this year, and do agree with you that he has made a big difference, he just hasn't been "the" difference.)

Some additions up front have helped the Jets play more hockey in the opposition's end as well. Perreault is an enormous upgrade over Setoguchi, rookie Adam Lowry is the big bodied third line centre they desperately needed, Thorburn is having a career year, and of course our top line is performing like they're in their prime or something.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I'm looking forward to more quality additions in the next draft this summer for the Jets; anything the front office gang does there will only be an upgrade to their plans for the immediate future. This one is suppose to be one that has some very exciting players.