• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Jets game notes - Jets fear ACL injury for Revis

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The injury suffered by TE Dedrick Epps yesterday is season-ending (exact injury not specified) and he was waived/injured today. The Jets will place him on injured reserve once he clears waivers.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Manish Mehta:

NFL Films caught Rex Ryan saying,"It's as bad as it gets right there, boys" on sideline. Unclear which play he was referring to in 34-0 loss

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Are there specific plays that he practices that Alex doesn’t or all those plays that he ran in the game available for any quarterback?

“That’s a great question. They both practice them. There really aren’t specific Kap plays. All of those plays, Alex has practiced and worked on as well.”

Hmmmmmm, really?

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
What is your take on icing the kicker? On whether it works, how does that play into a coach’s strategy?
“I have some opinions about it.”

Please elaborate.
“I don’t have any need to. It hasn’t come up yet. So, I don’t have a real good reason for elaborating on it right now.”

Maybe how it relates in the game, not specifically to the 49ers?
“Not really. Not a real good reason to do it.”

Ha. I love that. I could see Larry David (Seinfeld, Curb Your Enthusiasm) responding with those same words. A different tone, but the same words.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I liked everything except saying Moss gives 'em more options in the receiving game. I don't agree. I hope he doesn't last the season. He's keeping AJ Jenkins & Kyle Williams off the field.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I liked everything except saying Moss gives 'em more options in the receiving game. I don't agree. I hope he doesn't last the season. He's keeping AJ Jenkins & Kyle Williams off the field.

I think he still brings something - Keep in mind our QB ranks near the bottom of the league in both Pass Attempts & Yards Per Attempt, thus I think it's a little hard to judge the performance of a #1 WR when we don't have a #1 WR, QB. Besides stats, Moss still commands the double and that will always help the other receivers.

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are there specific plays that he practices that Alex doesn’t or all those plays that he ran in the game available for any quarterback?

“That’s a great question. They both practice them. There really aren’t specific Kap plays. All of those plays, Alex has practiced and worked on as well.”

Hmmmmmm, really?

Yeah. Just like Rory McIlroy and I both work on our swings.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Manish Mehta:

As the Jets await word on Santonio Holmes, the feeling in organization is that he will be lost for the season with a foot injury. #nyj

I'd say "ouch" but I don't feel that strong about Holmes even though right now he's by far the best they have. At least until Hill develops and explodes like I think he has the chance to with the right development.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/10/02/refo-49ers-jets-week-4/

Boone (+3.6) looks to be developing into one of the finest guards around, which makes a change from the revolving door of ugly play the 49ers have had at his position in recent years.

----------

At left guard Iupati (+4.1) was moving people off the line like a bulldozer and on a few occasions he and Joe Staley were able to combine on truly ridiculous looking double team blocks. Early in the 4th quarter the pair of them drove Kendrick Ellis a clear eight yards off the line before grinding him into the turf, opening a chasm wide enough for a first down run with just that single block. On the next snap Ellis lined up on the other side of the line of scrimmage, and I can’t blame him.

-------------

Dominant Defense

Eight of the starting eleven graded firmly in the green

--------------

This might be the first time I’ve ever dedicated an entire part of a re-focused article to a special teams player but Andy Lee (+3.3) punting the ball is something to behold. I actually like it when the 49ers have a three and out drive because it usually means that Lee can unleash the full strength of his leg and belt a ball 60-yards down field. He doesn’t just have a donkey’s leg where most normal people don’t, but he has developed a fantastic ability to drop punts deep inside the 20, with the Jets setting up shop well inside their own five yard line on a couple of occasions.

Lee averaged 46 yards per punt in this game and his lone touchback was more the fault of the coverage than his kick. This might be the first and last time your re-focused features a punter’s performance, but it was a great one, and worth commending here.

----------------

Since then his decline into Tebow-marred misery has come in parallel with his offensive line’s nosedive in performance. Nowhere was that better illustrated than the performance of Nick Mangold (-6.1) in this game. Once the league’s best center by a country mile, Mangold has lost the air of invincibility he once had and was completely dominated by the 49ers front in this game. He allowed a sack and two hurries, but was moved to the side constantly by San Francisco defenders as the Jets couldn’t get a running game going. To be fair to Mangold he wasn’t alone, and the Jets as a unit blocked poorly, but he was the worst performer and the biggest fall from grace.

-----------------

Game Notes

- Jets LB David Harris missed five tackles in this game, exactly half the tally of the Jets D.

-The entire 49ers defense missed just four tackles in the game.

-Alex Smith faced just five snaps under pressure all game, which is just as well because he completed only one pass on them, for eight yards.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/10/02/team-of-the-week-week-4/

Guards: Mike Iupati, SF (+4.1) and Marshal Yanda, BLT (+5.2)

There isn’t a better guard in the league than Yanda right now so dominant is he. A potential tricky test against the Browns was made to look all too easy by a man at the top of his game. Although Iupati was perfect in pass protection, it was his work in the run game that wowed us.

---------

Defensive Front 3-4

Defensive Line: Calais Campbell, ARZ (+5.1), Ricky Jean-Francois, SF (+1.3) and J.J. Watt, HST (+5.3)

It wasn’t a vintage week for nose tackles but ‘RJF’, as he shall henceforth be known, was one of a number to best Nick Mangold. On the ends however there were a couple of studs who did more than enough to earn a spot on this team. I am of course referring to Calais Campbell, who may not have exploded as a pass rusher, but has turned himself into a near immovable object when teams run anywhere near him. As for J.J. Watt you’ve heard it all before. His defensive player of the year case is already strong and we’re four games into the season.

--------------

Outside Linebackers: DeMarcus Ware, DAL (+2.6) and Ahmad Brooks, SF (+2.6)

He’s yet to reach the heights of years gone by but Ware continues to bring consistent pressure as evidenced by his one sack and three hurry game. Brooks gets the nod over Aldon Smith with the extra quarterback disruption he managed being the difference.

----------------

Inside Linebackers: Jovan Belcher, KC (+4.0) and NaVorro Bowman, SF (+4.5)

With Derrick Johnson looking hobbled, Belcher stepped up and didn’t let the woes of the team keep him down. He was active all game long , doing a good job locating the ball carrier and shedding blocks. Another game in which Bowman outperforms Patrick Willis as he continues to reinforce the notion he could be the best linebacker in the league at the moment.

-----------------

Safeties: Harrison Smith, MIN (+3.7) and Dashon Goldson, SF (+4.3)

An all NFC safety pairing with Smith continuing to impress, putting in a performance that is sure to propel him in the Race for Rookie of the Year. He broke up two passes and has brought some assuredness to a secondary that was desperately low on it. Goldson forced a fumble and broke up two passes. He’s always had a knack for the big play and never more so then when the 49ers visited the Jets.