• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Jeter Wins Bid For Marlins

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was a tough play, but it was completely overblown in terms of how "great" it was, because Jeter. David Wright actually jumped into the stands to catch a foul ball later that season, but it's not talked about like Jeter's catch in fair territory.

Did he bleed?

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was a tough play, but it was completely overblown in terms of how "great" it was, because Jeter. David Wright actually jumped into the stands to catch a foul ball later that season, but it's not talked about like Jeter's catch in fair territory.

Oh I totally agree it was blown out of proportion since it was him. No one really ever mentions Wrights catch at all. I think it was mentioned once after it happened

$500 Million

Elitist Douche
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh I totally agree it was blown out of proportion since it was him. No one really ever mentions Wrights catch at all. I think it was mentioned once after it happened

It was also blown out of proportion because of the opponent and that fact that it happened in one of the greatest regular season games played in the last 30 years.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I just rewatched the two to refresh before making a judgement. You can watch Jeter's here, and Wright's here.

For me, Wright's catch was great, but Jeter's play was significantly better, should be remembered more than Wright's, and the two should not really be compared.

The caveat "catch in fair territory" is just inflammatory nonsense. As if he didn't have to go into the stands to make that catch.

StanMarsh51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think a good amount of the press/hype it got was because of the scenario. Jeter's was a game saving catch vs Boston in extra-innings vs the Red Sox at the height of their rivalry. If it were in the 3rd inning of a 5-0 game vs the Mariners it would probably be looked at a lot differently.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think a good amount of the press/hype it got was because of the scenario. Jeter's was a game saving catch vs Boston in extra-innings vs the Red Sox at the height of their rivalry. If it were in the 3rd inning of a 5-0 game vs the Mariners it would probably be looked at a lot differently.

While I agree the context lends to the mystique of the Jeter play, there is enough reason otherwise to see that Jeter's was better.

Jeter was hauling ass to get to that ball from SS, catching it a few feet from the wall with his momentum carrying him head-first and nearly horizontally into the stands at full speed.

Wright runs over to the wall but as he gets closer, it reduces to a jog and he even appears to stop and set before leaping up into the stands. Nowhere near the same play unless we're going to Occam's Razor them down to "they both wound up in the stands."

Again, Wright made a great catch and he did sacrifice his body for the ball, but I'd say Jeter's play carries as significantly higher risk of injury.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That all said, I fucking hate it when someone gets me defending/stumping for the dick-sniffing Yankees. Fuck them.