• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Jerry Rice gets defensive about his stickum admission

Stomp

Lions Homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jerry Rice gets defensive about his stickum admission | ProFootballTalk

“I know this might be a little illegal, guys, but you put a little spray, a little stickum on them, to make sure that texture is a little sticky,” Rice said, laughing, in the video.

“I apologize ppl after doing my research about stickum! The NFL banned this in 1981. All players did it! #equalplayingfield.”

“Never been investigated for stickum!” Rice said. “Mistakenly used that word and dealing with consequences! But I don’t have a problem taking a Polygraph!"

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

“I know this might be a little illegal, guys, but you put a little spray, a little stickum on them, to make sure that texture is a little sticky,” Rice said, laughing, in the video.

“I apologize ppl after doing my research about stickum! The NFL banned this in 1981. All players did it! #equalplayingfield.”

“Never been investigated for stickum!” Rice said. “Mistakenly used that word and dealing with consequences! But I don’t have a problem taking a Polygraph!"
No one cares because the Niners are not relevant. Few fans/teams have hate for arguably the best WR of all time. Funny how he says he knows "it might be a little illegal". Is that like a little white lie.
I think Roger Goodell has his work cut out for him. He's going to have figure out the degree of cheating and how much effect it has on a game/s. The potentially GOAT WR abd QB accused of cheating. One potentially gets slammed. One not so much.

PatsFan2003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jerry Rice is one of the best players of all time and well respected. He still is. He's just showing life in the NFL then and today. So anything the Patriot do is evil and a threat to the integrity of the game. A little stickum? Just a little cheating.

{+}Mother-Marge{+}

Hoopla Cash
$ 50.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jerry Rice is one of the best players of all time and well respected. He still is. He's just showing life in the NFL then and today. So anything the Patriot do is evil and a threat to the integrity of the game. A little stickum? Just a little cheating.
.........Jerry who.....?,........I lost respect for him when Randy Moss broke one of his TD/records back in (07/w. Pats),.......he expected Moss to call "HIM"up and honor Rice to some degree......?,.......Moss said FU/back with some degree.,.......Rice being named the "greatest" NFL player of all time on NFL/NWRK was highly questionable too ....my-op.,.....a few years ago....!?

Oldschool739

It's my Country, Flag, Bible, Gun. Don't try it !
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rice should have played for the Pats, he would have fit right in with their cheating ways....
Cheaters do not have the right to get offended by being called what they are, Cheaters !!!

ece1acf6c5beda8784b0cafb5330be0d425b177ac2b02958008c94913eac7083_zps8wdeitkl.jpg

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

As a Niners fan, a few thoughts:

- I don't get the relevance of never being investigated for stickum. Polygraph for that, why? I believe he wasn't investigated. Now, did he use it, yes, as he said - it's not using the wrong word.

- As far as him being better than everyone he played with, he was if "everyone was using it" but it doesn't make it legal.

- I know now that he could have not known it was banned in 1981, as he's not a historian - but when he played, he probably knew at the time it was illegal.

Fencer

Not left-handed either
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nobody cares. Rice played for one of the 31 teams that are not obligated to follow the rules.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jerry Rice is making a damn fool of himself.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No one cares because the Niners are not relevant. Few fans/teams have hate for arguably the best WR of all time. Funny how he says he knows "it might be a little illegal". Is that like a little white lie.
I think Roger Goodell has his work cut out for him. He's going to have figure out the degree of cheating and how much effect it has on a game/s. The potentially GOAT WR abd QB accused of cheating. One potentially gets slammed. One not so much.

Or no one cares because Rice has been retired long enough to have been elected\in the HOF. If Rice was using stickum in 2014 it would be a big deal.

On that note doesn't the gloves they wear today give them more grip on the ball. Aren't they basically clean stickum?

Fencer

Not left-handed either
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Weak to say the least. In fact about your lamest excuse thus far.

Not an excuse. Indeed, I'm having trouble guessing what you're suggesting it's an excuse for.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stickum was legal back in the day. Now receivers wear gloves.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Weak to say the least. In fact about your lamest excuse thus far.
He has had so many lame excuses that it is hard to say if this was the lamest.

Oldschool739

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or no one cares because Rice has been retired long enough to have been elected\in the HOF. If Rice was using stickum in 2014 it would be a big deal.

On that note doesn't the gloves they wear today give them more grip on the ball. Aren't they basically clean stickum?

Good point but it was illegal in the 80's so he was cheating....

FantasyBelowZero

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah. I'd like to see the NFL go gloveless and see how the wide receivers catch the ball. That would separate the boys from the men.

Oldschool739

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah. I'd like to see the NFL go gloveless and see how the wide receivers catch the ball. That would separate the boys from the men.

It would, but there would be a lot less scoring, and that would be counter productive to the demand of the game....
I don't mind the gloves, but stickum was used on the forearms as well as the hands, so it was a real cheat....
With gloves, they still have to get their hands on the ball to catch it...
That seems fair to me, and I like the high scoring also...

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yes. The rules say you can use a spray as long as it doesn't stick to the ball. None of the players seem to have an issue with the stuff or guys using it. Interesting that some don't like to use it - even though it is legal....