1. Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Jeff Teague...still underrated

Discussion in 'NBA Basketball Forum' started by HurricaneDij39, Dec 1, 2017.

1. HurricaneDij39

HurricaneDij39 Unpopular Basketball Opinions Poster

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 1,000

He's probably a distant fourth on his own team behind Towns, Butler, and Wiggins when it comes media hype and fanfare. Hell, Taj Gibson is probably rates higher from a popularity standpoint due to his ties with the Chicago media market.

But, I'd argue that Teague is the most important player on the Timberwolves' roster given his abilities to initiate ball distribution and outside shooting. Case and point, he's missed the last four games with a sore achilles and the Wolves had dropped two questionable home tilts in his absense.

On the season, he's averaging 14.0 points, 7.5 assists and is shooting 40.3% from three.

Being the starting point guard on the team with the longest current playoff drought in the NBA is no easy task, and back home in Indiana we couldn't be more proud, and sorry that Paul George had to ruin your one season with your home state team.

Yes, for those that either don't already know or simply not wish to believe it - It was Teague, not PC13 (a.k.a. "Problem Child") that led the Pacers in win shares last season.

He could have been back with the Pacers this season had we been more aggressive in making him an offer, but if George wasn't going to be here there was simply no way to justify cutting a big check on a 29-year-old player at a deep position.

He got a good offer and opportunity from Minnesota and pounced on it, and no one can fault him for that...

• Like Like x 1
    • Rainbow Rainbow x 1
  2. CitySushi

CitySushi Hoopla Basketball Strategist

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 17,985

Jeff Teague at this point is just a below average starting point guard, IMO. He's a bad defender, but he's decent on offense. I think he peaked his one all-star season with the Hawks and hasn't been able to replicate that sort of efficiency he had. Even though he has solid numbers this year, his Per 36 numbers aren't that spectacular and his DRTG is the worst of his career. That's saying a lot when you have a defensive oriented coach in Thibbs.

I honestly think Teague is probably the Weak point in that lineup. I think you could plug in a ton of PG's who could replicate the number of assists and 3 point percentage. The Twolves have a ton of scoring weapons. Hell I'd easily take Patrick Beverly as a starter on the Wolves over Teague.

• Like Like x 1
  3. shopson67

shopson67 Well-Known Member

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 1,000

So would Butler. He's beyond frustrated with the Wolves' effort on defense.

• Like Like x 1
  4. logic

logic Well-Known Member

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 6,225

I wouldn't trade Reggie Jackson to get Teague on the Pistons, and there are a bunch of guards I can't say that about. I don't think that he is overrated at all. Atlanta was willing to let him go for a reason, and Schroder isn't even on my list either.

• Like Like x 1
  5. logic

logic Well-Known Member

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 6,225

This is simply cherry picking, or relying too heavily on stats. Gobert had higher win share for the Jazz than Hayward, and Jordan for the Clippers was higher than Paul. It doesn't necessarily mean they are a better player or more valuable to the team. Do you really think, wait let me rephrase that, does anyone by 'Cane really think that Teague is better than George or more valuable to the team?

• Like Like x 2
  6. CitySushi

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 17,985

Immediate guards I would take on a starting roster over Teague:

Steph
    Russ
    Harden
    CP3
    Simmons
    Kyrie
    Wall
    Lowry
    Dame
    Conley
    IT (when healthy)
    Kemba
    Beverly
    Bledsoe
    Dragic
    Holiday
    Schroeder
    Reggie Jackson (this year version)
    Tony Parker

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. Mebert

Mebert Not Mebert's Alt

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 200

The wasted money on Teague kept the wolves from building a bench. His turning his outside shot into a second season instead of being an outlier like it looked was a pleasant surprise.

With Teague out Tyus Jones has put up almost the exact same stats, only he plays defense. They dropped some of those games because Jones was 1 of 2 bench players that contribute.

He might be the worst contract in basketball.

8. logic

logic Well-Known Member

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 6,225

Wait........I don't see Ball on your list!?!?!?

9. trojanfan12

trojanfan12 R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 4,459

Yeah, no shit.

What's up with that @CitySushi ? :lm:

Lavar gonna be tweetin' some smack your way for this.

• Funny Funny x 2
  10. CitySushi

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 17,985

Lol

Real talk though Lonzo is a better distributor and rebounder his lack of scoring is a big deterrent for me. Also Lonzo to me at least isn’t a good defender at this point. Same reason I left Rubio off the list. Not because I don’t think they’re better but I think they’re the type of players who need the right fits around them. All of the above guys I said I would absolutely take over Teague regardless of system.

11. Mebert

Mebert Not Mebert's Alt

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 200

Lonzo is Rubio without the defense. If he adds a jump shot and learns defense then he will be great

12. tducey

tducey Sports discussion

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 8,400

Meh, I like Teague but he seems like a good bench guy at best right now, not a starter at all right now.

13. msgkings322

msgkings322 Throbbing Member

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 2,200

Chandler Parsons and Luol Deng say 'hi!'

14. wildturkey

wildturkey Well-Known Member

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 39,600

Pretty sure Jeff Teague is properly rated by most as just a run of the mill average starter level point guard.

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. Shaqdaddy11

Shaqdaddy11 MVP

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 800

Add Mozgov to that list.

I can't believe we dumped his ass and got the Kuzma pick in return!

16. Taddy Mason

Taddy Mason Well-Known Member

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 4,425

He's no TJ...

17. Mebert

Mebert Not Mebert's Alt

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 200

I have no counter for that.....

18. trojanfan12

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 4,459

I don't think Lonzo will ever be a great or probably even good scorer. But he needs to get to where he's at least close to average. If he does, it will enhance the other things he does well, especially his ball distribution.

His scoring isn't too much of a deterrent for me because I don't like the "score first point guard" thing anyway. Guess I was spoiled by Magic, Kidd, Nash, etc. lol

I don't have an issue with Lonzo's defense. It's actually been almost as much of a pleasant surprise as his lack of scoring has been an unpleasant one.

Don't get me wrong, there are zero DPOY awards in his future, but so far, his defense has been much better than advertised. Even his former college coach has said he's been surprised at how well Lonzo has played on defense.

19. trojanfan12

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 4,459

Uh what? Apparently you haven't watched him, because he's been a better defender than anyone expected. If anything, he's Rubio with a little defense mixed in.

20. Trench Mob

Trench Mob Seize the DEY

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 3,000

Eh. I thought he was a massive downgrade from Rubio and it showed so far. Tyrus Jones is a much better fit on that roster.

• Winner Winner x 1