• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Jeff Ireland

Brees#1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I need to bring it up. He was a GM in Miami, not a scout. His job was hiring free agents and picking in the draft what was put before him. He did not evaluate those players he drafted. See the draft process works in which the scouts go to the senior bowls, pro days, combine, tryouts, workouts and then combined with what they see during college season make the best estimated choices on a list and put it before the GMs and the GMs pick from there. Maybe Miami just had crap scouting because it's not like many rookies have yet to come into form. Ireland may have made some poor FA choices(actually, Grimes was not a poor FA choice and neither was Wallace and so many people have trashed Miami's FO way after Ireland) but his draft picks should not be on him.

He is a talent evaluator for the saints and has been to all of those aforementioned events. It should be known he listed two players who happened to be teammates of the first picks by Atlanta and Carolina. Stephone Anthony was Clemson's leader/captain, maybe not as talented as Beasley but helped coach him up. Hau'oli Kikahaha was actually a DE in college(and went LB in pro but will go back to DE or SLB/Jack) and it was his qb pressures(19 sacks in two seasons) that helped Shaq Thompson make his big plays. Shaq was ranked lower than Beasley and Ray for a reason. Further it should be noted both those schools are known to have NFL talent. And those players will all take significant steps forward in their second years as the biggest growth is after the first year for a player's development. Btw I did not bring up PJ Williams from FSU because he missed a whole year due to injury so he may take a year to learn but rookie CBs don't take as long who knows.

Why did I write this? Well, people believe the saints do not the future elite on their defense because of last year where Kikahaha struggled in coverage(OLB was why) and Beasley was handling leadership duties(yes a rookie being told to be a leader). But rookies don't make a difference alone without help. And just wait until you see two of Ramsey, Jack, Robinson, Spence, Lawson, Bullard, and Clark in a saints uniform. I stand by no one in this draft being a Watt or Miller but they should be big pieces to build a defense around.

cowboycolors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A possible bright future derailed by a GM job before he was ready

just a thought

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not sure what the OP is saying, but on this comment below I'm not sure he does either. There is only one GM in the league that doesn't evaluate players at all and doesn't have to go to a lot of the events listed and just picks what is "in front of him" and he also happens to be a drunken egotistical billionaire that also owns the team and doesn't need to worry about getting fired.

"His job was hiring free agents and picking in the draft what was put before him. He did not evaluate those players he drafted. See the draft process works in which the scouts go to the senior bowls, pro days, combine, tryouts, workouts"

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I need to bring it up. He was a GM in Miami, not a scout. His job was hiring free agents and picking in the draft what was put before him. He did not evaluate those players he drafted. See the draft process works in which the scouts go to the senior bowls, pro days, combine, tryouts, workouts and then combined with what they see during college season make the best estimated choices on a list and put it before the GMs and the GMs pick from there. Maybe Miami just had crap scouting because it's not like many rookies have yet to come into form. Ireland may have made some poor FA choices(actually, Grimes was not a poor FA choice and neither was Wallace and so many people have trashed Miami's FO way after Ireland) but his draft picks should not be on him.

He is a talent evaluator for the saints and has been to all of those aforementioned events. It should be known he listed two players who happened to be teammates of the first picks by Atlanta and Carolina. Stephone Anthony was Clemson's leader/captain, maybe not as talented as Beasley but helped coach him up. Hau'oli Kikahaha was actually a DE in college(and went LB in pro but will go back to DE or SLB/Jack) and it was his qb pressures(19 sacks in two seasons) that helped Shaq Thompson make his big plays. Shaq was ranked lower than Beasley and Ray for a reason. Further it should be noted both those schools are known to have NFL talent. And those players will all take significant steps forward in their second years as the biggest growth is after the first year for a player's development. Btw I did not bring up PJ Williams from FSU because he missed a whole year due to injury so he may take a year to learn but rookie CBs don't take as long who knows.

Why did I write this? Well, people believe the saints do not the future elite on their defense because of last year where Kikahaha struggled in coverage(OLB was why) and Beasley was handling leadership duties(yes a rookie being told to be a leader). But rookies don't make a difference alone without help. And just wait until you see two of Ramsey, Jack, Robinson, Spence, Lawson, Bullard, and Clark in a saints uniform. I stand by no one in this draft being a Watt or Miller but they should be big pieces to build a defense around.

Well if your GM does not evaluate players before drafting them then they are a terrible GM. If they don't go to at least some of the events you listed again TERRIBLE GM! Almost all GM's go to the Combine for multiple reasons. 1) chance to see the players side by side and make some comparisons 2) It is the one place that both GM and Agent are almost guaranteed to be at before FA starts giving them an unsanctioned window to discuss contracts and players. I have at least from good GM's heard of them going to plenty of the big Pro Days. Heck the Broncos send and entire team down to the Senior Bowl with Elway included (our GM). So this idea that a GM doesn't do those things either shows you don't understand all they do or that Ireland had no clue how to do his job.

Yes draft picks at least part of the way are the responsibility of the GM. Now I will say yes the scouts play a huge part in it but at least listening to Elway the way it works is the Scouts go to the games, talk to the coaches and whoever else, and then make recommendations. Elway and the coaching staff then watch those players who have been recommended and decide how good of a fit they are for the system, locker room, and team in general.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doesn't the GM hire/fire scouts? If the scouts suck doesn't that fall on the GM?