• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Jeff Hafley to BC

gob

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,496.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Boston College is a good job though. What type of job do you think he’d be in line for if he waited til next year?
Honestly, I wouldn't take a look end P5 job if I was a rising assistant. I would probably go to a G5 where I knew I could win at, then jump to an upper end school or wait it out, and try to go the Kirby route or something.

Winning at a lower end P5 is just much more difficult.

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good For Him!

I still have the bucknuts +3, they better not screw me ATF or I’m billing you.....

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly, I wouldn't take a look end P5 job if I was a rising assistant. I would probably go to a G5 where I knew I could win at, then jump to an upper end school or wait it out, and try to go the Kirby route or something.

Winning at a lower end P5 is just much more difficult.

I don’t really think Boston College is a low end P5 school though. Look what Satterfield did at Louisville this year. Boston College can easily be the second best team in the ACC, and he could do that quickly. I think it’s a much better job than a group of 5 school like South Florida or FAU and it’s better than FSU because of expectations.

gob

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,496.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t really think Boston College is a low end P5 school though. Look what Satterfield did at Louisville this year. Boston College can easily be the second best team in the ACC, and he could do that quickly. I think it’s a much better job than a group of 5 school like South Florida or FAU and it’s better than FSU because of expectations.
You serious, Clark?

I'd take FSU over BC 300 times out of 100

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You serious, Clark?

I'd take FSU over BC 300 times out of 100

Sure, but you’re not losing you’re job at Boston College. FSUs last coach didn’t even get 2 years and people didn’t want him to finish the first. He wasn’t given a chance to succeed. At Boston college he is in position to succeed and he has the time to succeed.

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Part of the problem with BC and teams in the north east is recruiting. They are basically getting leftovers from states that don’t traditionally produce a ton of talent. (My team and it’s state included ) That huge 5 star isn’t likely going there. Sure Penn State has done well but that’s about it anymore in the NE. The coach needs to be able to develop talent ala Mark Dantoni and Pat Fitzgerald.

The weather is a huge factor in that in kids can’t be outside doing it year round. Of course everyone recruits Florida on the North east but those kids seem to be staying in the south or some to the Midwest. That’s why I’d consider FSU to easily be the best choice as #2

Just my 2 cents

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Part of the problem with BC and teams in the north east is recruiting. They are basically getting leftovers from states that don’t traditionally produce a ton of talent. (My team and it’s state included ) That huge 5 star isn’t likely going there. Sure Penn State has done well but that’s about it anymore in the NE. The coach needs to be able to develop talent ala Mark Dantoni and Pat Fitzgerald.

The weather is a huge factor in that in kids can’t be outside doing it year round. Of course everyone recruits Florida on the North east but those kids seem to be staying in the south or some to the Midwest. That’s why I’d consider FSU to easily be the best choice as #2

Just my 2 cents

I don’t disagree with you. But, from what I read Hafley was recruiting the Northeast for Ohio State. I think if he can get the northeast kids to stay in the northeast that would be huge for BC. He’s definitely got the schedule to be competitive.

And the areas that have a ton of local talent also have a ton of schools, a lot of local competition and they still lose players to other parts of the country. For BC there’s less local competition but they’ll also lose players to other parts of the country and need to develop players

Twiztidbuck

Hoopla Cash
$ 890.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he can succeed at B.C. and make them competitive, then bigger programs will offer him a job. I would rather coach there than a G5 power. At least at B.C. he can tell recruits they have a chance to play for a natty. Not likely, but it is possible.

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t disagree with you. But, from what I read Hafley was recruiting the Northeast for Ohio State. I think if he can get the northeast kids to stay in the northeast that would be huge for BC. He’s definitely got the schedule to be competitive.

And the areas that have a ton of local talent also have a ton of schools, a lot of local competition and they still lose players to other parts of the country. For BC there’s less local competition but they’ll also lose players to other parts of the country and need to develop players

Agreed all around. I still don’t think they could ever be #2 in the ACC consistently u gave definitely some food for thought. :suds:

mall3013

SportsHoopla's #1 Bucknut
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It sounds like the Buckeyes will be getting Kerry Coombs from Tennessee Titans from a report from Letterman Row's Austin Ward reported. Day reached out to Coombs yesterday and got positive vibe. I would love a reunion. Hated seeing him go, but totally understood it. Hopefully the report is true and we can move on.

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It will be interesting to see what he can do there

The good news is it will definitely be easy to move up in the ACC because the conference outside of Clemson is so bad. It will be tough to recruit there so I'm curious to see what he can do there

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It sounds like the Buckeyes will be getting Kerry Coombs from Tennessee Titans from a report from Letterman Row's Austin Ward reported. Day reached out to Coombs yesterday and got positive vibe. I would love a reunion. Hated seeing him go, but totally understood it. Hopefully the report is true and we can move on.
That would be the absolute best case scenario.

cwerph

Go Bucks!
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Usually, the ones that get "good" head coaching jobs are fairly established, successful coordinators. The ones who just get a few years under their belt (or less) move on to either G5 or low end P5 jobs. Fickell (really, a Tress assistant) will move on to a better job at some point. It'll happen.
Ok, which one, under Urban Meyer at Ohio State, got a "good" job moving from Ohio State to wherever? As far as I am concerned, it never happened, so Hafley staying another year wouldn't have moved him to a "better" job.

gob

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,496.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, which one, under Urban Meyer at Ohio State, got a "good" job moving from Ohio State to wherever? As far as I am concerned, it never happened, so Hafley staying another year wouldn't have moved him to a "better" job.
Technically, Vrabel was a Meyer assistant.

I can't recall many assistants staying too long under him.

The longer he stayed and had successful defenses, the better the offers would be, imo.

cwerph

Go Bucks!
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Technically, Vrabel was a Meyer assistant.

I can't recall many assistants staying too long under him.

The longer he stayed and had successful defenses, the better the offers would be, imo.
So how many years do you think? Urban only asked for 2 (and always got it, except for Withers, who was shown the door after 1). I certainly don't think 2 is the answer which is what most Buckeye fans are complaining about.

gob

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,496.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So how many years do you think? Urban only asked for 2 (and always got it, except for Withers, who was shown the door after 1). I certainly don't think 2 is the answer which is what most Buckeye fans are complaining about.
I'd say at least 4 to get a higher profile opportunity