• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Jeff Hafley to BC

MarkOU

License to Thrill
Hoopla Cash
$ 287.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Will the coach the playoffs?

One commit doesn't seem happy.

MarkOU

License to Thrill
Hoopla Cash
$ 287.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ooh man just 3 days ago he was doing a home visit. I'll bet he didn't mention Boston. :dhd:

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wonder if he'll take any OSU staff with him? Either way that's gonna be a distraction for the game against Clemson.

cwerph

Go Bucks!
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you root for a school where no one else wants your assistants, you probably suck.

The last time this happened to OSU, TittyBar Tom Herman took the HC job at Houston and did double duty through the national championship win.

Believe Hafley will do the same.

BTW, Clemson's OC took the USF HC job, too.

If you root for a winning program, you get used to it.

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ooh man just 3 days ago he was doing a home visit. I'll bet he didn't mention Boston. :dhd:

Why would he mention he might leave for Boston College? He wasn’t recruiting for Boston college, he was recruiting for Ohio State. Assistant coaches are always moving and changing. I doubt he told all his recruits last year they were only going to have him for a year.

Oklahoma has had 3 different defensive coordinators the last 3 years, why would this departure make him lean OU?

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This sucks, but I bet he is getting paid a fortune. I think it's a mistake on his part, though. Could've waited another year and gotten a real HC job.

Reactions: gob

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you root for a school where no one else wants your assistants, you probably suck.

The last time this happened to OSU, TittyBar Tom Herman took the HC job at Houston and did double duty through the national championship win.

Believe Hafley will do the same.

BTW, Clemson's OC took the USF HC job, too.

If you root for a winning program, you get used to it.
I feel like Dabbo’s success is aligned with the fact that his staff has had a ton of stability. You are correct, if your team is any good, poachers will come yearly. I do think keeping a staff in tact can create long term success.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel like Dabbo’s success is aligned with the fact that his staff has had a ton of stability. You are correct, if your team is any good, poachers will come yearly. I do think keeping a staff in tact can create long term success.

it’s hard to consistently win championships when you lose your staff year in and year out. Dabo is very lucky in that regard...ohh and playing in the worst P5 conference helps some as well. Dabo has everything going for him right and probably the best coach as of right now, great recruiter as well

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This sucks, but I bet he is getting paid a fortune. I think it's a mistake on his part, though. Could've waited another year and gotten a real HC job.

Boston college seems like a great gig. History and tradition, in the ACC which he can come in and compete right away, and he’ll be recruiting the same area he was with Ohio State. Better chance of having job stability.

mall3013

SportsHoopla's #1 Bucknut
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This information has been out for awhile now. I posted a thread on the Buckeye board a week ago that Hafley was more than likely leaving for BC. This stuff happens all the time at top programs. Look at Bama and how many times Saban had to find another asst. Shit happens and you move on. Day probably already has a guy in place. And from what I have read from 247 on Bucknuts. Pantoni has already reported that all of Hafley's recruits but one are signing with OSU. I think Phillips is the one unsure? He's taking an OV to Utah. I think we are good and won't lose any of them.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Boston college seems like a great gig. History and tradition, in the ACC which he can come in and compete right away, and he’ll be recruiting the same area he was with Ohio State. Better chance of having job stability.
It's still a lower-half P5 job. If he stayed another year he could be looking at a much, much better spot.

cwerph

Go Bucks!
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's still a lower-half P5 job. If he stayed another year he could be looking at a much, much better spot.
Based on what, exactly. Which OSU assistant other than TBT Herman ended up at a great gig? He had to make a prove-it stop along the way at Houston. Is that better than BC?

Ash went to Rutgers. He's financially set for life but may never be a head coach again.

Fickell is great at Cincinnati, but it's Cincinnati. BC is a way better gig than that.

If Urban Meyer wasn't getting his guys great jobs (and, btw, CSU isn't a great job, but 2 OSU assistants lost out on that one even though Urban was heavily involved), what makes you think a much-less-connected and accomplished Ryan Day would be able to so?

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Based on what, exactly. Which OSU assistant other than TBT Herman ended up at a great gig? He had to make a prove-it stop along the way at Houston. Is that better than BC?

Ash went to Rutgers. He's financially set for life but may never be a head coach again.

Fickell is great at Cincinnati, but it's Cincinnati. BC is a way better gig than that.

If Urban Meyer wasn't getting his guys great jobs (and, btw, CSU isn't a great job, but 2 OSU assistants lost out on that one even though Urban was heavily involved), what makes you think a much-less-connected and accomplished Ryan Day would be able to so?
Hafley is a different example. The guy is young, has NFL experience, and what he did with this defense this year is remarkable. He only coached one year and had BC offer him the HC job. If he waited another year, I don't think he would've had to settle for that sort of job.

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hafley is a different example. The guy is young, has NFL experience, and what he did with this defense this year is remarkable. He only coached one year and had BC offer him the HC job. If he waited another year, I don't think he would've had to settle for that sort of job.

Boston College is a good job though. What type of job do you think he’d be in line for if he waited til next year?

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Boston College is a good job though. What type of job do you think he’d be in line for if he waited til next year?
I think Texas and USC will both be open in 2020/2021.

OUGuy1999

BOOMER..SOONERS!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stoops, Ruffin McNeill and Grinch. 3 seasons, 3 coordinators. Juniors at Oklahoma have played for 3 different defensive coordinators.

Ruffin was interim for only like 6 games in the same season Stoops was fired, then Grinch came on board this year. So we've only had half a season of transition of DC, not 3 different ones in 3 seasons.

gob

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,496.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Usually, the ones that get "good" head coaching jobs are fairly established, successful coordinators. The ones who just get a few years under their belt (or less) move on to either G5 or low end P5 jobs. Fickell (really, a Tress assistant) will move on to a better job at some point. It'll happen.

Last edited: