• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Jason Collins signs with Brooklyn

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course it's a big deal. And very newsworthy.

Was it a big deal when Chuck Cooper became the first black NBA player in 1950?

Human progress is what it's called. Until the day comes where every gay athlete is accepted, stuff like this will be news!

The issue is that this signing was not about getting a needed basketball player who happens to be gay.

He was signed for no other reason but because he was gay.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The issue is that this signing was not about getting a needed basketball player who happens to be gay.

That's absolute bullcrap but even so, someone has to get the ball rolling!

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Actually, that's not entirely true. Several of the star players on the Nets had been teammates with Collins in the past. They liked his ability to set screens, his "basketball smarts" and his willingness to do the "little things" that help a team win.

The Nets needed another big who brings those qualities to the team, especially if they have any thoughts of even being remotely competitive with the Heat and/or Pacers when the playoffs start.

I'm not saying that the fact that he's gay had no bearing on the Nets decision to sign him. But it appears that it was more than a simple PR move.

Last edited by a moderator:

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't go that far to say he was signed because he was gay. I think the Nets signed him for basketball reasons but the media is making this a story only because he's gay. They needed another big body since Lopez is out for the year and they just traded Evans

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's absolute bullcrap but even so, someone has to get the ball rolling!

Even if the process was discriminatory?

He was hired for no other reason other than his sexual preference.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even if the process was discriminatory?

He was hired for no other reason other than his sexual preference.

I must have missed the wanted ad that said "Gay man wanted, no basketball experience necessary, $18k a game" :L

YourFriendGannon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What makes guys like Arinze Onuaku, Dex Pittman, Hilton Armstrong so much more qualified to earn NBA contracts is they aren't out to shatter the foundations of my insecure paranoid bigotry.

Shoveyjoe

El Flaco
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Collins sucks and should not be worthy of any news. so what if he's gay, he should get the same recognition as Jarvis Varnado or lowlevel player signing a 10-day contract. Media making a big deal out of nothing. There were gay NBA players in the 80s that other players knew about yet those dudes were all treated like any other team mates. Nothing wrong with keeping to yourself, though.
Personally I think Collins is a dumb #@# because he has money, fame and education to get quite a few superhot quality women but turns that down. I'd never understand that kind of "decision"

Maybe because it's not a decision. What a dumb thing to say.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Collins sucks and should not be worthy of any news. so what if he's gay, he should get the same recognition as Jarvis Varnado or lowlevel player signing a 10-day contract. Media making a big deal out of nothing. There were gay NBA players in the 80s that other players knew about yet those dudes were all treated like any other team mates. Nothing wrong with keeping to yourself, though.
Personally I think Collins is a dumb #@# because he has money, fame and education to get quite a few superhot quality women but turns that down. I'd never understand that kind of "decision"

It's a choice is it? He woke up one day and said "Fuck it, i've had enough pussy, I fancy me some dick"?

Did you flip a coin one day and 'chose' to like women instead of men?