• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

James Franklin is tearing Vandy a new one

jeffro151

Supervisor
Hoopla Cash
$ 34,232.13
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A 3rd Vandy commit just flipped to Penn State. Franklin really is going easy on his former employer.

UNA Lion

Roar Lions & Roll Tide!
Hoopla Cash
$ 756.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, those kids basically had committed to Franklin, so their decision to flip after he did is hardly a surprise.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, those kids basically had committed to Franklin, so their decision to flip after he did is hardly a surprise.
-
It is a bit rough. You expect a few, but you dont want to gut your former team either. They are also getting a "bigger offer".

MarkOU

License to Thrill
Hoopla Cash
$ 287.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the coach wanted you and you had to choose between Vanderbilt or Penn State? Where you going?

LucklessPadresFan

Creedence Fanatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Besides, where would a kid really rather go: Penn St. or Vandy? Those kids coming in next year will only have two years of sanctions left--maybe fewer if the NCAA reduces them again.

Hook'Em0608

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 623.24
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So much for the old coaches gentleman's agreement about gutting your old schools recruiting class when you leave. I'm not really mad about it though. I think that was a stupid way to do things anyway. Why sacrifice your new school if there are players out there better than what you have that want to come?

Yippy ki yay
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,940.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
New Penn State coach James Franklin passionate about recruiting - Sports
According to The Tennessean, a Nashville newspaper, at least four other high school seniors who had committed to Vanderbilt have received offers from Penn State: four-star safety Emmanuel Smith of Mufreesboro, Tenn.; three-star cornerbacks Grant Haley of Atlanta and Amani Oruwariye of Tampa; and three-star defensive tackle Jashon Robertson of Nashville.

The paper also reported that at least four other Vanderbilt recruits have backed out of their commitments, leaving the Commodores with a firm 2014 class of only three players.

Read more: New Penn State coach James Franklin passionate about recruiting - Sports

Vanderbilt has lost 19 recruits according to this, leaving them with 3 solid verbal commitments.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
New Penn State coach James Franklin passionate about recruiting - Sports
According to The Tennessean, a Nashville newspaper, at least four other high school seniors who had committed to Vanderbilt have received offers from Penn State: four-star safety Emmanuel Smith of Mufreesboro, Tenn.; three-star cornerbacks Grant Haley of Atlanta and Amani Oruwariye of Tampa; and three-star defensive tackle Jashon Robertson of Nashville.

The paper also reported that at least four other Vanderbilt recruits have backed out of their commitments, leaving the Commodores with a firm 2014 class of only three players.

Read more: New Penn State coach James Franklin passionate about recruiting - Sports

Vanderbilt has lost 19 recruits according to this, leaving them with 3 solid verbal commitments.

That is crappy. You dont go offering a bunch of kids that are your prior schools commits. They call you, that is fair game. They decommit first, fair game. You really should not be proactive against your old school.

Yippy ki yay
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,940.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is crappy. You dont go offering a bunch of kids that are your prior schools commits. They call you, that is fair game. They decommit first, fair game. You really should not be proactive against your old school.

I think Franklin has only taken 3-4, it just seems there were a lot of guys committed to him more than the school. It is interesting that he had a pretty good recruiting class put together and didn't have any early enrollments. I remember when Orgeron was telling kids not to attend class in Knoxville and they would still be able to leave even though they were already enrolled.

UNA Lion

Roar Lions & Roll Tide!
Hoopla Cash
$ 756.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Franklin has only taken 3-4, it just seems there were a lot of guys committed to him more than the school. It is interesting that he had a pretty good recruiting class put together and didn't have any early enrollments. I remember when Orgeron was telling kids not to attend class in Knoxville and they would still be able to leave even though they were already enrolled.

Those were my thoughts: Think a lot of players (and commits) were committed to Franklin personally, vice the Vandy football program.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
-
3-4 he took and your article says he offered 3-4 more. That is a lot of kids from your former school. I realize it is Vandy, but never good to burn bridges.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How's that going to work with Penn State's current class? No one seems to be jumping ship, and I don't expect many to, a lot of kids go to Penn State because they like the atmosphere of the campus and playing in front of 100k, the coach has no bearing in either of those qualities. They already have a pretty full class too, are they going to start pulling offers to current recruits?

Irish7478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Those were my thoughts: Think a lot of players (and commits) were committed to Franklin personally, vice the Vandy football program.

It's interesting since he probably originally sold them (and their parents) on the long term value of a Vandy degree. So now he goes back and says " the degree isn't really that important", follow me to Penn State.

UNA Lion

Roar Lions & Roll Tide!
Hoopla Cash
$ 756.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's interesting since he probably originally sold them (and their parents) on the long term value of a Vandy degree. So now he goes back and says " the degree isn't really that important", follow me to Penn State.

Not thinking that's what happened. My guess is that the kids (and parents) were just completely sold on Franklin as a person, and they want to go where he goes. A very few folks out there just have magnetic personalities like that.

Its even possible that Franklin tried to dissuade some from following him, but they wouldn't have it.

Have even seen that in the Army: When a particularly good commander took command of a unit, some of the soldiers and officers would trip over themselves to follow, working drug deals to get assigned to that unit.

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
vandy hands down.... nashville > happy valley

After reading the grand jury report I don't think I could bring myself to shower in the athletic facilities at Penn State anyway. Not sure I would stick with Vandy either but I definitely would wait to see who the next coach was going to be.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After reading the grand jury report I don't think I could bring myself to shower in the athletic facilities at Penn State anyway. Not sure I would stick with Vandy either but I definitely would wait to see who the next coach was going to be.
-
speaking of that. I was told Franklin had a disaster of a press conference. r*pe cover up question was asked and it went down hill.

Irish7478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not thinking that's what happened. My guess is that the kids (and parents) were just completely sold on Franklin as a person, and they want to go where he goes. A very few folks out there just have magnetic personalities like that.

Its even possible that Franklin tried to dissuade some from following him, but they wouldn't have it.

Have even seen that in the Army: When a particularly good commander took command of a unit, some of the soldiers and officers would trip over themselves to follow, working drug deals to get assigned to that unit.

Yes, that's possible. But it's also possible that he promised them lots of money, and if he's not at Vandy, they won't get paid. So they have to go to Penn State to get their cash. (as long as we're making up scenarios).