• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Jahvid Best Suing the NFL

jarrod49

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Former Detroit Lions RB Jahvid Best suing NFL, helmet maker - ESPN

So if he sues the NFL and wins that isn't going to be good for future college players wanting to be drafted and have the opportunity to play and get paid.

"Schnitzer said after Best suffered two concussions as a running back at Cal, the NFL still allowed him to become a draft pick."

if he wins on this basis then the NFL will have no choice but to require medical records in order to enter the draft and if a player has suffered a concussion in their lifetime they will not be allowed to enter the draft!!!

Way to screw everyone behind you wanting to play football douchebag!!!!!!

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He should have known that when he became a full grown man and was still 5'6" 170 pounds it was not a good idea to enter the Draft.

sjballer03

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Wow this is going to be a huge legal precedent if he wins. Pretty soon, the NFL will be looking into a child's medical history to determine if they should be drafted or not.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Former Detroit Lions RB Jahvid Best suing NFL, helmet maker - ESPN

So if he sues the NFL and wins that isn't going to be good for future college players wanting to be drafted and have the opportunity to play and get paid.

"Schnitzer said after Best suffered two concussions as a running back at Cal, the NFL still allowed him to become a draft pick."

if he wins on this basis then the NFL will have no choice but to require medical records in order to enter the draft and if a player has suffered a concussion in their lifetime they will not be allowed to enter the draft!!!

Way to screw everyone behind you wanting to play football douchebag!!!!!!

I read that this morning and it pissed me off. he knew the risks coming in just like everyone else and no one required him to play football. As for "The NFL Allowing" him to be drafted with a concussion. I guarantee that bitch would have sued the NFL had they barred him from the draft because of his concussion history.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I don't know how I could play for that jackass if I were a Cal football player. It's really hard to work for someone you don't respect.

jarrod49

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know how I could play for that jackass if I were a Cal football player. It's really hard to work for someone you don't respect.

Exactly how can you work your ass off and listen to someone who single handedly may cause you to not be able to enter the draft?!?!?! SMDH

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Wow what a blatant cash grab on his part.

I mean what a joke. You're a grown man that knew the potential impact of concussions and you made yourself available to be drafted.

The NFL didn't force you to be drafted and they shouldn't have to babysit you and protect you from yourself.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow what a blatant cash grab on his part.

I mean what a joke. You're a grown man that knew the potential impact of concussions and you made yourself available to be drafted.

The NFL didn't force you to be drafted and they shouldn't have to babysit you and protect you from yourself.

If Best wins his bogus case, perhaps its karma after the way the NFL handled the Dwight Harrison case. Did you happen to read that in SI today? Unbelievably heartless.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly how can you work your ass off and listen to someone who single handedly may cause you to not be able to enter the draft?!?!?! SMDH

Not only that but you are coaching players to do something you just said is dangerous. Yes, I know he'll say that he can teach them how to be safe, and the game is different now, but I can guarantee you people that are playing now are going to sue later. These very same people would oppose safety measures placed by the NFL, complain about flag football, and not having anywhere to hit (high or low). They would also ignore concussion protocol and still play. And then when they can't play anymore, sue.

The NFL is a multibillion dollar industry so I don't really feel bad for them, but what are they supposed to do? One thing they can do is not ask for 18 games or extended playoffs. They need to improve field conditions. They can also require certain helmet equipment and continue research. They can add a second bye week. But when they do that, I know they'll still be sued. And whatever they do find in the research, is going to be exaggerated to show that they should have done that even when the research shows that it wasn't recommended. Waivers don't work.

Lay people and the media are on the player's side. The NFL either has to accept these lawsuits or change the game and lose fans (pansy rules). I don't know how you make things safer besides what I said above. I don't mean to suggest that these changes should not be made because they're going to be sued anyway. I'm not suggesting that they are without fault, it's just reality. The game is changing. It doesn't help that people like finesse football, too.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
If Best wins his bogus case, perhaps its karma after the way the NFL handled the Dwight Harrison case. Did you happen to read that in SI today? Unbelievably heartless.

I hope the NFL gets it's own but not by losing a bogus case like Best because that ruling only hurts people and other businesses in the future.

But I also blame the NFLPA as much as the NFL when it comes to these older players. The Dwight Harrison case is one of many the NFLPA should be taking up and fighting tooth and nail for but since these guys but they are just as greedy as the NFL and only care about the current players since those are the ones bringing home the cash.

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So can parents sue the NCAA for giving their kids a scholarship because they had a concussion in high school?

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So can parents sue the NCAA for giving their kids a scholarship because they had a concussion in high school?

You can sue for whatever you want, you might not win and it might get thrown out. Unfortunately, this one looks like it's going to be there for a while.

:postcount: ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

SEC Official

Elongated Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hopefully he doesn't win.

This is an example of a kid who loved football, but had a bunch of concussion issues (probably way more than two at Cal). I still remember that touchdown play where he got hit and was helecoptering into the endzone...

He wanted to get paid, but medically probably won't ever be in the NFL... so now he is trying to get some money via lawsuit. This is a selfish move.. but doesn't surprise me. Hopefully he loses miserably so we can move on.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exhibit A. The pussification of this country has taken full effect.

Adults are not even responsible for their decisions anymore.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Exhibit A. The pussification of this country has taken full effect.

Adults are not even responsible for their decisions anymore.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

I'm going to go slam my head against a door a bunch of times, get a concussion & then sue the manufacturer of the door for making a blatantly dangerous product that ignores the safety of its consumers.

bvanthielriceyoung

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I dont have much to add, everyone has pretty much nailed the topic here. Adult grown man, cash grab, pussification, no responsibility for own actions, pathetic......

bvanthielriceyoung

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
This might be a terrible example and I might be off base but can someone explain how NFL players can sue for head injuries? Isn't that kind of part of the job? Like if a police officer got shot or injured, a fire fighter burned/hurt, ect.?

Do boxers and UFC fighters get to sue for head injuries?

Just looking for explanations here because I haven't really looked much into this but always here about concussions and the NFL.

Jim Rome is Flaming

Check that, Chris Everett
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jahvid Best was aware of his concussions, but declared for the NFL draft anyway. Can I sue him on the grounds that I can no longer watch him play?

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This might be a terrible example and I might be off base but can someone explain how NFL players can sue for head injuries? Isn't that kind of part of the job? Like if a police officer got shot or injured, a fire fighter burned/hurt, ect.?

Do boxers and UFC fighters get to sue for head injuries?

Just looking for explanations here because I haven't really looked much into this but always here about concussions and the NFL.

For a one, you don't have the media supporting the UFC fighters. People would still sue of course but if the media ridiculed all these players it might at least be looked at differently. UFC fighters may even be tougher.

Second, is it is harder to argue that the boxers didn't know that being hit in the head could cause head injuries. At least with the NFL, these players are saying they believed the injuries would be temporary. Also, they are saying that the NFL is hiding research they had done before. If they hadn't done any research and had been acting totally oblivious would the players have a weaker case? I think it's funny that one can research to see whether what they are doing is wrong and fix it but if they don't fix then they're stuck but if they never even tried to research they're not guilty. I know they would then hypothetically argue that the NFL didn't even bother to research, but it seems like this research is not helping.

There's a principle in law that says that attempts to make things safer after an injury is not admissible in court to show that they should have fixed it before. This doesn't apply to knowledge it just applies to action. The reasoning is if a company knows that making fixes later will hurt their current lawsuits then they won't improve which is worse for society. But this doesn't apply if they can show that they knew what they should do before the injury. For example, a company making fixes to their product after injury when those problems were not foreseeable before the injury, does not show negligence prior. You would have to prove negligence in a different way than showing subsequent fixes.

Applying this here, the players suing now cannot show that the NFL is making rule changes now to show that they should have made changes before. They have to show that at the time they knew or should have known of the risk of injury and they did nothing to stop it. The supposed research that they had, they argue, should have prompted the NFL to act earlier. This, of course, is not the whole case just part of it.