• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Jadeveon Clowney Scouting Profile

elijah

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,097.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jadeveon Clowney - South Carolina
4-3 DE - 6'5 - 272 Lbs. - Junior
jadeveon-clowney.jpg

Pro's
- Great speed off the ball.
- Very quick, effective swim move.
- Sheds blocks well. As the runner passes, easily sticks out his arm to grab the runner.
- Pure power is insane, easily pushes back offensive lineman.
- In an option offense, you leave the opposite DE unblocked assuming that we won't catch the runner. You can't do that with Clowney.
- Almost always sticks his arms up to bat down a pass, does it like it's natural.
- Teams often run away from him. (i.e.) Mizzou only ran in his direction 10 times for 36 yards, compared to their total of 41/155, Tenn ran his way 15 times for 10 yards, compared to the total of 41/146.)
- Causes lineman to hold often, will likely be called and more noticeable at the next level.
- Once he gets hot with momentum, you're not stopping him.

Con's
- Gives up on some pass plays kind of quickly.
- Too cautious when containing sometimes.
- Doesn't use many moves aside from his swim move and bull rushing.

Recap
The amount of pro's that Clowney brings is insane. Just his presence on the field scares teams. His overall line play is insane as well, his speed off the ball, how he sheds his blocks, the way he uses his swim move, his bull rush. All of those will do great things for him if he keeps it up. If he translates his game to the next level well, he will be a name to remember for awhile. The way that teams run away from him will do a lot in the NFL, you can't run the ball to only one side of the field in the NFL. There's too much talent to do it there. Also, another thing that can't happen in the NFL, Clowney is getting held nearly every other play. In the NFL that will get called more often, so when Clowney I'm curious to see what he can do when Clowney gets a full game with out being held.

It's hard to think of his game getting much better, but I saw two major con's in Clowney's game that are easily fixable. He often gives up on pass plays quickly, if the lineman takes him too deep into the pocket he'll just stand there. This is a huge issue with me, I hate when players give up on plays. But, then the other big con is that all he uses are a swim move and his bull rush. In the NFL, they'll jam his swim easier and they'll be bigger making the bull rush harder. He can't get away with only those two, however if he can add a spin move to his game, maybe add some pure speed when he's running around the lineman he'll be set.

2013 Stats (to this point): 27 total tackles, 6.5 TFL, 2 sacks
My Postion Rank: 1, My Overall Rank: TBD, My Grade: 9.8/10
Video Links: South Carolina vs Missouri, South Carolina vs Tennessee, South Carolina vs Arkansas

How well is the draft followed here? If I continue to do these will it be followed well?

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We follow the draft here but I think there are only a half dozen or so that follow it to the degree of some other sites.

The big thing with Clowney is that teams are game planning against him in college (which you mentioned). Double him and roll out the other way on passing downs. He deserves the hype.

Mizzou was actually running straight at him at the end of the game and it was working. There might be something to him being poorly conditioned this year but he won't be poorly conditioned in the NFL. Greg Hardy fell a lot because people thought he was lazy and he has been great in the NFL.

elijah

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,097.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We follow the draft here but I think there are only a half dozen or so that follow it to the degree of some other sites.

The big thing with Clowney is that teams are game planning against him in college (which you mentioned). Double him and roll out the other way on passing downs. He deserves the hype.

Mizzou was actually running straight at him at the end of the game and it was working. There might be something to him being poorly conditioned this year but he won't be poorly conditioned in the NFL. Greg Hardy fell a lot because people thought he was lazy and he has been great in the NFL.

Well, on another site I have a full thread with my draft scouting and stuff. Would that be successful and generate activity here?

And, I loved what I saw from Clowney. At first I thought he was overrated because I was looking solely at stats, but his stats are beyond deceiving. He's going to be real good in the NFL

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know how much attention people are going to give it right now because what 70% of the league realistically can still make the playoffs. Give it a few more weeks when more teams start getting eliminated and more people will start getting interested in the draft. Then of course after the Superbowl I would say quite a few people would be interested.

elijah

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,097.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know how much attention people are going to give it right now because what 70% of the league realistically can still make the playoffs. Give it a few more weeks when more teams start getting eliminated and more people will start getting interested in the draft. Then of course after the Superbowl I would say quite a few people would be interested.

Alright, thanks for the response

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This.

Heck, I haven't been paying as close of attention as normal because my team is still in the hunt in college football. The Rams probably have the toughest closing schedule in football, though, so I might be paying closer attention in a week or two

MrMoJoRisin63

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's gonna go high for sure, but all the hype last year has dwindeld and justifibly so. Now that teams are game planning for him he appears to be only slighlty above average.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now that teams are game planning for him he appears to be only slighlty above average.
He is a guy that plays on the edge who constantly demands double teams. That is fantastic

MrMoJoRisin63

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is a guy that plays on the edge who constantly demands double teams. That is fantastic

Double team in college sure but that may not and likely won't be the case in the NFL

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
CFB is not really appointment TV for me, but I watch quite a few SEC games being here in the heart of SEC country.

The kid is an absolute stud...but with any DE prospect, you have to understand this guy faces an NFL caliber LT maybe 2 or 3 times a year even in the SEC. If he had David Pollack's (UGA DE drafted by CIN) motor he'd be a probowler in his 2nd yr, maybe 1st.

As bad as ATL needs a T, they would almost certainly grab him if they have #1 overall.

elijah

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,097.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Double team in college sure but that may not and likely won't be the case in the NFL

More than likely won't be the case in the NFL, meaning he'd be freed up more and wouldn't be slowed down as much

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's gonna go high for sure, but all the hype last year has dwindeld and justifibly so. Now that teams are game planning for him he appears to be only slighlty above average.

Not sure that can really be considered a negative towards him. The fact that he demands teams to game plan against him is a great showing of just how good he is. Yes teams double team him even triple him sometimes so just because he is not producing the eye-popping stats he is probably the most feared defensive player in college football. I don't know of any other player that gets the attention in game planning as he does.

Plus just his athleticism alone will get him a top-10 pick. Look at this past draft and the guys who went top-10 who barely produced anything on the field but because of the athletic skill they possessed teams saw potential. Clowney has production and athleticism both so some team in the top 5 will take a shot at him.

MrMoJoRisin63

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure that can really be considered a negative towards him. The fact that he demands teams to game plan against him is a great showing of just how good he is. Yes teams double team him even triple him sometimes so just because he is not producing the eye-popping stats he is probably the most feared defensive player in college football. I don't know of any other player that gets the attention in game planning as he does.

Plus just his athleticism alone will get him a top-10 pick. Look at this past draft and the guys who went top-10 who barely produced anything on the field but because of the athletic skill they possessed teams saw potential. Clowney has production and athleticism both so some team in the top 5 will take a shot at him.

I have seen him in games where just the LT worked him and he had little success. Some of us remember Brian Bosworth and understand college hype does not always equate to NFL success.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have seen him in games where just the LT worked him and he had little success. Some of us remember Brian Bosworth and understand college hype does not always equate to NFL success.

I understand that. I have seen the same thing in there have been at least parts of games where he just doesn't do a whole lot. That should cause some teams to worry a bit that this kid just isn't going to have the drive to reach the potential that this kid has. Someone that he reminds me of a bit at least right now is that of Albert Haynesworth. All the talent in the world but about as lazy as can be. Some team though is going to take a chance on the potential outweighing the negative with this kid.

Octoberfest23

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Browns fan here so ready to talk draft!!! So. Can't wait to see where Clowney lands, I've been keeping an eye on him the last couple years. He deserves the hype but I could see him drop to the 4-7 range just based on teams desperate for a QB. I predict the Buccs take him with the 3rd overall pick. :noidea:

Balljim55

Abnormally Average
Hoopla Cash
$ 35,250.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #3
He is a man child. He reminds me of Peppers. Just so much natural ability to go along with freakish size