• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Jacobs is unhappy, Manningham is happy

Yadahell

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jacobs is probably the 4th best back on this team behind Gore, Hunter, and James. I do think he should be in on short yardage situations though.

Under Harbaugh, the 49ers seem to be very delicate with injuries (i.e. take an extra week off just to be safe). With the kind of depth and talent the 49ers have- they are able to afford the luxury of slowly getting players back from injury.

I would think Jacobs would get a handful of carries this week. The question is- at who's expense on the active roster? Dixon does quite a bit on special teams. Do you bench Ginn and let Williams redeem himself for the NFC Championship game?

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'm basing the "lazy" off of him admitting that he didn't work out his legs while he was in New York. 49ers Blog and Q&A: Brandon Jacobs didn't do squat in New York Tap dancing is coming from how he occasionally likes to bounce runs outside when he doesn't have the capability to do so. He's big and strong, he needs to pick a hole and hit it. Ask any Giants fan. They were regularly frustrated with him trying to turn the corner on a defense instead of him taking one cut and running down hill.

I took issue with it because you mentioned it like you think he's still "lazy." If that was even fair to call him in the first place. I don't think he's been around long enough to really say for sure or not if his work ethic and committent to improvement is officially better. However, I think there are some positive signs that he's on the right track.

Since he's been on the team he's lost 15-20 pounds (15 in camp and he said he was going to cut a few more before the start of the regular season). He's changed his diet. He's on a new workout regimen with Mark Uyeyama, and Tom Rathman had voiced his pleasure with Jacobs' improvement on becoming more of a north-south runner in practice.

On Jacobs not doing squats. That's something I don't feel real comfortable talking about but since then Jacobs has said on air that it wasn't that he didn't want to squats. I will say this, though. He was advised by the Giants that he shouldn't do squats because they were concerned about his knees. They were comfortable with the workout routines he was doing in New York. Obviously the 49ers disagreed or felt he should start doing squats. Those types of disagreements happen all the time when a player goes from one team to another. My question on this issue would be was it in fact Jacobs not wanting to do squats because he's lazy or not committed or what not, or was it in fact because the team told him not to do it like he said?

Time may tell if Jacobs has really changed for good or not, and maybe he will fall back to his old habits, but early on in his 49ers career it appears he's on a new track and has addressed some of the things that plagued him while he was in New York.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Mindi Bach:

49ers RB Brandon Jacobs has met w/ Harbaugh to talk about role on the team "We ironed it out"

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Barrows:

Brandon Jacobs struck a different tone today vs. Wednesday. He said playing in January and February trumps getting on the field now.

More Jacobs: "Right now, could I go out and play -- yes. Would it be smart -- no."

---------

Branch:

#49ers RB Brandon Jacobs backpedals, says he's not fully reovered from knee injury. Could play, but wouldn't be smart.

------------

Mindi Bach:

#49ers More Jacobs; "Coach understands me from him playing football & understanding the athlete and the competitive nature of wanting to...

#49ers Jacobs:"get out & help the team win & not only thatbut against a former team. But in this case the former team is not important..,

49ers Jacobs end: "what's important is for us in the long run."

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like that Jacobs and Harbaugh talked it out and that Harbaugh made sure that Jacobs was secure in where Harbaugh saw his role being on this team. I def see this as a long term positive in how Harbaugh handles his players, where the only case study we have had was Braylon Edwards last season, where he was just simply cut. It leads me to believe that Jacobs is going to be held onto because he is showing the proper work ethic and team concept to stick around.

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kevan Barlow. VII.

Don't know if that's accurate, but seems like it right now.

I'm happy with Jacobs' contribution right now.