• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Jacobs is unhappy, Manningham is happy

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meanwhile, another former Giant couldn't be happier to be in San Francisco.

"Taste the air," wide receiver Mario Manningham told USA TODAY Sports as he sipped on hot chocolate on a sunny, 70-degree day. "I don't have to worry about the weather or anything out here."

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm really liking Manningham a lot.

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
A bit like the Braylon Edwards situation last year, where he said he was healthy but the team kept listing him injured. I remember when Edwards was released, someone on KNBR asked Maiocco what had happened. Maiocco speculated that Harbaugh has a tendency to doghouse guys he thinks aren't coming back from injury fast enough. One possibility.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I really want Jacobs to suit up this week. I want to see the look in their faces (Giants fans that is) when he runs a couple of their players over.

Smalls

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Barring injury, I don't see how Jacobs is active on game days. Doesn't play on teams (right?) and our run game has been successful as is. Maybe certain games they'll switch things up? Maybe they're saving him for later? I'm curious to see if he'd add a new dimension. Hopefully he doesnt't lose his patience.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I were Jacobs I would ask for my release so I could seek employment elsewhere. Do it nicely of course. I see 3-4 teams that could easily give him a good chunk of playing time right now. Also makes me wonder if we could trade him for a pick.

jordan20_3

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'm really liking Manningham a lot.

Im excited to have Manningham he went to my favorite college football team Michigan so I wanted him to come to the Niners that year, but hey better late than never.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Barring injury, I don't see how Jacobs is active on game days. Doesn't play on teams (right?) and our run game has been successful as is. Maybe certain games they'll switch things up? Maybe they're saving him for later? I'm curious to see if he'd add a new dimension. Hopefully he doesnt't lose his patience.

this makes sense to me....except for the part in bold. cause the other reasons are good enough to stand alone.

it is hard to keep every one happy, good thing we're winning more than losing.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
A bit like the Braylon Edwards situation last year, where he said he was healthy but the team kept listing him injured. I remember when Edwards was released, someone on KNBR asked Maiocco what had happened. Maiocco speculated that Harbaugh has a tendency to doghouse guys he thinks aren't coming back from injury fast enough. One possibility.

They said the same thing about Nolan, which I always thought was fairly unfair. I can't say anything for sure but I would give ALMOST any coach the benefit of the doubt until it was fairly obvious he dogs guys who have an injury history, which would be very hard for a fan to actually determine in my opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
If I were Jacobs I would ask for my release so I could seek employment elsewhere. Do it nicely of course. I see 3-4 teams that could easily give him a good chunk of playing time right now. Also makes me wonder if we could trade him for a pick.

That would lead me to one question. In NFL history, how many 30-year old RBs been traded? Especially one that almost definitely wouldn't come onto your team as a starter and has a somewhat limited skill set like Jacobs. I'd be stunned if anybody pulled the trigger, even for a conditional 7th. I've always liked Jacobs as a runner, but he does have limitations in my opinion.

49ermann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #3
There is no way we cut or trade Jacobs. If any of our backs get dinged up Jacobs would be the next man up. As the season wears on our depth will ultimately be tested. I.E. the receiver position last year. I would prefer to have players on the roster that are better than a random dude off of the street. (see Brett Swain)

Plus if Jacobs is riding the bench, maybe it'll motivate his lazy ass and when called upon he'll want to prove himself and quit tap dancing at the line.

Dixon seemed to do a better job hitting the hole in the few carries he has had this season.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
There is no way we cut or trade Jacobs. If any of our backs get dinged up Jacobs would be the next man up. As the season wears on our depth will ultimately be tested. I.E. the receiver position last year. I would prefer to have players on the roster that are better than a random dude off of the street. (see Brett Swain)

Plus if Jacobs is riding the bench, maybe it'll motivate his lazy ass and when called upon he'll want to prove himself and quit tap dancing at the line.

Dixon seemed to do a better job hitting the hole in the few carries he has had this season.

Lazy? What are you basing that on? His time in New York? Tap dancing? Also off his time in New York?

bvanthielriceyoung

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
IMO, should just cut Moss and Jacobs. I'd be damn happy. These are two of some of my most hated players, they dont deserve to be 49ers. And on top of that we got two rookies who are 1st round and 2nd round picks ready to step in and be the future of this franchise.

shouldakepowens

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I most be only one who doesn't mind moss it seems like the defenses just don't know how to react to him being on the field yet.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They said the same thing about Nolan, which I always thought was fairly unfair. I can't say anything for sure but I would give ALMOST any coach the benefit of the doubt until it was fairly obvious he dogs guys who have an injury history, which would be very hard for a fan to actually determine in my opinion.

Nolan might not have a "history" of doing it, but he did it to Smith when he injured his throwing arm. When Smith was saying he shouldn't play, Nolan was telling the locker room that he was making excuses for his play and a coward for not wanting to play. There certainly is a culture where you play if it's humanly possibly (I know that's a bit of an exaggeration but you know what I mean).

I think if you play, you can't use injury as an excuse for performance, but if you are injured on your throwing shoulder that's a legitimate reason not to play, for the good of your career and depending on the backup, the good of your team. Alex didn't like to speak up, so he played. Nolan picked Smith, so he was under considerable pressure for Smith to play and for him to play well... or bad enough that he could blame him (though Smith does have his blame in the losses).

As far as Harbaugh having little patience for injury, yeah, I'd give him the benefit of the doubt on it. But if someone looks like their milking it, I don't think Harbaugh gives the benefit of the doubt for long. Harbaugh was a tough player who no doubt wasn't 100% healthy through his career. Look at his pinky now, he could presumably fix it, but it's a battle scar (forgot where I read this). He did call Smith tough in public in relation to his middle finger - one could read that as pressure, I suppose.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I most be only one who doesn't mind moss it seems like the defenses just don't know how to react to him being on the field yet.

Yeah, though he plays few snaps, we're sticking with him, so that must make defenses confused on what to do. If he weren't getting any snaps (meaning low like 4 or 5), they might assume he doesn't have it. But given Smith's hesitancy to throw deep but willingness to do so if open, teams have to at least respect it. If Moss were always running short routes, I'd assume the defense could make more safe(r) assumptions.

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ive been wanting to see jacobs get in and think he will hlep our goal line/3rd down game. Hope he suits up but wont be upset cuz we have been doing pretty good so far.

Manningham ha been great!

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly, if he's completely healthy I see his point. We obviously don't know the whole story here - but IF he's right, I'd be pissed too.

49ermann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #3
Lazy? What are you basing that on? His time in New York? Tap dancing? Also off his time in New York?

I'm basing the "lazy" off of him admitting that he didn't work out his legs while he was in New York. http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2012/05/brandon-jacobs-didnt-dodoin-squats-in-san-francisco.html Tap dancing is coming from how he occasionally likes to bounce runs outside when he doesn't have the capability to do so. He's big and strong, he needs to pick a hole and hit it. Ask any Giants fan. They were regularly frustrated with him trying to turn the corner on a defense instead of him taking one cut and running down hill.

On another note that's what has made Gore so good throughout his career. He's always had the patience and vision to wait for the right seam. And once he identifies that seam he goes 100% through it.

Last edited by a moderator: