• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

j.p. crawford is a winner

_phiLLies_

shut up baby, i know it
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i think he might quickly replace franco as the phils top prospect. he's batting .300 at lakewood this season. .397 obp, .817 ops. 7 steals. 15 walks, 15 k's. it would be sweet if the phils would grow a pair and just promote him right to reading soon, but that will never happen. hopefully he at least gets to clearwater in the near future. he would certainly make galvis quickly expendable.

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he's that good a hitter I don't know if I'm even worrying about him taking Galvis' job as a utility infielder. I'd rather see him move up through the system and maybe be their next starting shortstop by 2016.

_phiLLies_

shut up baby, i know it
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i really hope so (2016.) i was thinking they keep galvis around, regardless of his offense, so he can be the starter at short after jroll is gone. crawford has all the tools to be an explosive SS, so i don't even want to see a delay or experimenting with other players.

he's 2-3 today with a homer. lakewood is whipping up on some poor team 10-1 in the 4th. they already have 14 hits and 5 homers.

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A couple years ago I thought Galvis was the next starting shortstop but now I think it depends on whether they can carry a guy at short based solely on his defense. I know plenty of teams have won with shortstops that are not good hitters but it sure helps when you can have a top tier offensive player at an infield position, like Utley and Rollins were a few years ago. (obviously Galvis will never be top tier, but I at least expected him to be a little better by now. If Crawford turns out to be a hitter, they may need him).

_phiLLies_

shut up baby, i know it
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
in today's game, i'd rather not carry someone just for defense. offense, depends. i expected galvis to be better by now as well. this season is a massive disappointment for him so far.

meanwhile, crawford is super balling today. 4-5 with a homer and walk. average up to .324.

Caligula

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
At least there are more and more options being produced from the minors. Gives hope to the Phillies being able to rebuild quickly.

_phiLLies_

shut up baby, i know it
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
crawford is off the charts. 11 game hitting streak.. currently batting .339 with a .429 obp and .924 ops. monster numbers for a shortstop.

word is, the phils won't promote him because they want him to experience what it's like to struggle as well. if that doesn't show how fucking stupid they are, i don't know what does.

i'm sure we'd all love that at our jobs. "sorry, you're doing unreal work, but you're not getting the promotion. we'll wait to see you fail, then how you handle it. we'll talk after that."

WestCoastPhan

Northern California formerly from Bucks County
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
crawford is off the charts. 11 game hitting streak.. currently batting .339 with a .429 obp and .924 ops. monster numbers for a shortstop.

word is, the phils won't promote him because they want him to experience what it's like to struggle as well. if that doesn't show how fucking stupid they are, i don't know what does.

i'm sure we'd all love that at our jobs. "sorry, you're doing unreal work, but you're not getting the promotion. we'll wait to see you fail, then how you handle it. we'll talk after that."

Lolol and you got this "word" from who or where?

_phiLLies_

shut up baby, i know it
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The 19-year-old, one of the youngest players in the South Atlantic League, began this year at Lakewood and is a totally different player. The 6-foot-2, 180-pound Crawford entered the weekend hitting .322. The lefthanded lead-off hitter had three home runs, 11 RBIs, and an .886 on-base-plus-slugging percentage.

"He is very smooth and makes the game look easy," said a major-league scout. "He should be a very good two-way player."

Crawford is The Inquirer's No. 2-ranked prospect. The No. 4 prospect is Roman Quinn, also a shortstop, who turns 21 on May 14. Quinn played last year at Lakewood before suffering a season-ending hairline fracture in his right wrist in the last week of June. He ruptured his right Achilles tendon in offseason workouts.

Quinn has been in extended spring training and is ready to return soon, according to Joe Jordan, the Phillies' director of player development.

Jordan admits to being cautious with Crawford and doesn't want to move him up to high-A Clearwater just yet.

He said it's not likely that Quinn and Crawford will be on the same team at this point. That means it is possible Quinn could be ticketed for Clearwater.

Either way, Jordan doesn't want to rush Crawford.

"Right now the plan is for him to be at Lakewood," Jordan said. "Now, later in the summer, depending how he does, that plan can change."

Anything is subject to change, and Jordan wants to see how Crawford handles both success and failure at this level.

"I want to see him continue tearing it up for a while," Jordan said. "We even have to see him go through slumps; that is part of the process."

Crawford said that his brief stint at Lakewood last season was highly beneficial.

"It was great because it gave me a clue of what type of pitchers I would see and what this level is all about," Crawford said.

Between last season and this one, he has achieved a real comfort level.

"He is starting to take more of a leadership role for us in the infield, and it's nice to see," said Lakewood manager Greg Legg.

An offseason weight program has made Crawford much stronger.

"Last year it was my first experience [in pro ball] and I was exhausted at the end," Crawford said. "With all I did in the offseason I have a lot of energy."

It has shown in his development, which is why he will likely be on the move well before the season ends.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lolol and you got this "word" from who or where?

The 19-year-old, one of the youngest players in the South Atlantic League, began this year at Lakewood and is a totally different player. The 6-foot-2, 180-pound Crawford entered the weekend hitting .322. The lefthanded lead-off hitter had three home runs, 11 RBIs, and an .886 on-base-plus-slugging percentage.

"He is very smooth and makes the game look easy," said a major-league scout. "He should be a very good two-way player."

Crawford is The Inquirer's No. 2-ranked prospect. The No. 4 prospect is Roman Quinn, also a shortstop, who turns 21 on May 14. Quinn played last year at Lakewood before suffering a season-ending hairline fracture in his right wrist in the last week of June. He ruptured his right Achilles tendon in offseason workouts.

Quinn has been in extended spring training and is ready to return soon, according to Joe Jordan, the Phillies' director of player development.

Jordan admits to being cautious with Crawford and doesn't want to move him up to high-A Clearwater just yet.

He said it's not likely that Quinn and Crawford will be on the same team at this point. That means it is possible Quinn could be ticketed for Clearwater.

Either way, Jordan doesn't want to rush Crawford.

"Right now the plan is for him to be at Lakewood," Jordan said. "Now, later in the summer, depending how he does, that plan can change."

Anything is subject to change, and Jordan wants to see how Crawford handles both success and failure at this level.

"I want to see him continue tearing it up for a while," Jordan said. "We even have to see him go through slumps; that is part of the process."

Crawford said that his brief stint at Lakewood last season was highly beneficial.

"It was great because it gave me a clue of what type of pitchers I would see and what this level is all about," Crawford said.

Between last season and this one, he has achieved a real comfort level.

"He is starting to take more of a leadership role for us in the infield, and it's nice to see," said Lakewood manager Greg Legg.

An offseason weight program has made Crawford much stronger.

"Last year it was my first experience [in pro ball] and I was exhausted at the end," Crawford said. "With all I did in the offseason I have a lot of energy."

It has shown in his development, which is why he will likely be on the move well before the season ends.

PONED