• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

It's Kapler

GiantsPackersChamps2011

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A purely baseball move that prioritizes winning over ethics/morality and, as of now, there’s no evidence from Kapler to suggest the pure baseball motives will even yield wins

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems the opposite of Bochy. Bochy was able to get his players to over perform. Kapler, granted, in just 2 seasons, had under performing players.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A purely baseball move that prioritizes winning over ethics/morality and, as of now, there’s no evidence from Kapler to suggest the pure baseball motives will even yield wins
I am curious how you see this as a move of winning over ethics/morality. Was there stuff tent down in Phily that I missed?

GiantsPackersChamps2011

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am curious how you see this as a move of winning over ethics/morality. Was there stuff tent down in Phily that I missed?

The moral/ethical issues were obviously in LA

Winning, clearly none of that happened under Kapler in PHI

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel like it's tough to comment on this because there's just so much we don't know as fans.

We don't know the character of Kapler. There's just no way we can know this at this point as outsiders.

We don't know the truth of the allegations against Kapler and the dodgers' org. It is quite concerning that Zaidi was with LA at the time of these alleged offenses, how often did it come up in conversations? There are reports on both sides vindicate and damage his reputation.

We don't know why the Phillies under-performed last year. Did the players get along with Kapler? They had no starting pitching and a shaky bullpen, but plenty of offense that under-performed. At what point can you blame the manager over the players?

I'm not necessarily defending Kapler, he was not my first choice, but ultimately it's just tough to have an opinion on it with no little information that we can tangibly use.

At this point I'm just trusting Zaidi is making the right call and not just hiring his bud while sweeping some troubling background under the rug. One thing is for sure, though. Zaidi is putting his reputation on the line here big time, so if he's convinced it's the right call I hope he's right for his own sake.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He and FZ are clearly friends. They go way back. Kepler has been rumored as the Giants new manager since early in the search process.

This does not strike me as a desperation hire. This isn’t a last minute, we gotta have someone signing. This is the guy who was targeted early, and the org searched the entire game to ensure he was the right guy.

My only “concern” is that maybe they were looking at Espada, but backed away from him due to the recent news stories? I think that is a stretch, but is something to think about.

pachyderm

kick assery king
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah.

I'm in a fog on this one.

I thought he got fired from Philly... did somehitng shady happen?

I was hoping they wouldn't hire someone who got fired.

Maybe even a first time manager.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Every hitter will get worse.

I hate the Giants. This move is perfect.:dhd:

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Problem with our Phillies is that we don't know if Kapler hired the hitting/pitching coaches or if GM/Pres Klentak/MacPhail did.

They went 110% with the analytics for hitting trying to increase vertical swing path to hit more HR. It didn't work and averages suffered while strikeouts rose. Meanwhile, Carlos Santana left the Phils after underperforming and having legitimate claims about a weak clubhouse culture. Then he started raking once he got to Cleveland.

I like Kapler. I think he identifies with the players more than an older manager would.
He'll certainly take the hit for them and won't throw them under the bus.
I wonder if perhaps he was too soft on them and unwilling to bench someone if they didn't run a ball out or made a boneheaded play.

If there wasn't a better option, Kapler will be a nice stop gap.

SU Nittany Tide

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,096.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel like it's tough to comment on this because there's just so much we don't know as fans.

We don't know the character of Kapler. There's just no way we can know this at this point as outsiders.

We don't know the truth of the allegations against Kapler and the dodgers' org. It is quite concerning that Zaidi was with LA at the time of these alleged offenses, how often did it come up in conversations? There are reports on both sides vindicate and damage his reputation.

We don't know why the Phillies under-performed last year. Did the players get along with Kapler? They had no starting pitching and a shaky bullpen, but plenty of offense that under-performed. At what point can you blame the manager over the players?

I'm not necessarily defending Kapler, he was not my first choice, but ultimately it's just tough to have an opinion on it with no little information that we can tangibly use.

At this point I'm just trusting Zaidi is making the right call and not just hiring his bud while sweeping some troubling background under the rug. One thing is for sure, though. Zaidi is putting his reputation on the line here big time, so if he's convinced it's the right call I hope he's right for his own sake.
Every starting pitcher on the whole staff underperformed expectations. Was that somehow his fault? I don't know.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You apparently haven't followed the Giants' "hitting" in the past few years.
If only you knew how much worse it could get.