• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is this a sign of trouble or just bringing intensity?

dkmightyhammer

Livin' la vida loca
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess there was a pretty good fight at team practice today. Sherman, Harvin, Thomas, Lynch, Baldwin and some rookies got into it. Some punches were landed. Carroll had to restore order. The players are saying it felt like a game out there which is good I suppose but hopefully this doesn't turn into some locker room cliques being formed.

The whole story:
Richard Sherman of Seattle Seahawks keys minicamp scuffle - ESPN

Judge Fudge

One Pretty Kinky Bastard
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,151.20
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
your worried about Cliques

Im worried about us turning into the 1993 oilers

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nothing to worry about, all teams have a fight or two during mini-camps/training camps. All it is is young guys trying to make plays to impress the coaches and the vets trying not to give an inch to get beat by the youngsters. I would be more concerned if this happened during the final week of preseason.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As long as it's something that doesn't happen more than a couple times, it should be fine, but I'd be worried if it was happening once a week.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
These things happen. Shows they take practice seriously.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this happens all the time in other teams camps and i think this happened last year. I think this is actually a good thing I would say a player thats willing to fight or scuff is good because that will translate big time when we play other teams this group of guys are full of alpha males. when we face the packers opening day these guys will be so fired up all will be forgotten. if pete really did feel that there was an issue and they would have to release and send someone home im sure he would be on it.

i wouldnt feel good if richard sherman was picking on a dude and he just took it and walked away with his head down.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not a big deal at all. There's a lot of money, pride and roster spots on the line.

FirebreathingMonkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only thing that concerns me about a fight this early are injuries, if Sherman or Baldwin break their hands while fighting cause they hit a helmet (weird stuff has happened in sports fights all the time) and they have to spend 8 weeks not practicing and getting ready than I'd be pissed.

Also as others have said IF this was within preseason or close to the season I'd start to worry but PC doesn't strike me as someone who's going to be afraid to send a message to the team. Examples you ask... Naming a Rookie QB starter week one or releasing T.J. Houshmandzadeh suddenly while huge amount of money where still tied to the team when he did it.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't read your link, but they talked about this on the radio this afternoon. Said some of the offense thought Thomas was a bit too harsh on a WR after a catch that got banged up on the play and both sides shared some words.

I'm more concerned for the players getting hurt on the play than any words or actions after. They really want to win every play and that's a good thing. Having the offense square off against the defense doesn't bother me in the least. As long as the offense isn't fighting other offense etc it's all good.

dkmightyhammer

Livin' la vida loca
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't read your link, but they talked about this on the radio this afternoon. Said some of the offense thought Thomas was a bit too harsh on a WR after a catch that got banged up on the play and both sides shared some words.

I'm more concerned for the players getting hurt on the play than any words or actions after. They really want to win every play and that's a good thing. Having the offense square off against the defense doesn't bother me in the least. As long as the offense isn't fighting other offense etc it's all good.

If this was just a rookie picking a fight with a vet I could care less. Rookie trying to make a team, show his toughness, blah, blah, ...I get that. But this fight apparently had vets against vets. Harvin going after Sherman for example. That's the stuff I find more troubling.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If this was just a rookie picking a fight with a vet I could care less. Rookie trying to make a team, show his toughness, blah, blah, ...I get that. But this fight apparently had vets against vets. Harvin going after Sherman for example. That's the stuff I find more troubling.

Just tells me they aren't sitting back. They are taking this seriously and want to win. Right now the only people they can win against is the other unit. As long as the fighting is between units and not between guys on the same unit I'm entirely fine with it.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow really? (to some of the comments)

You're going to preach about competition at all levels and bringing one of (if not) THE MOST competitive atmospheres to a team and not expect this?

ESPN will blow anything out of proportion. For all I know Richard Sherman beat Doug Baldwin in a game of Smash Bros and Paul threw a cheerio in Thomas' face because he told Baldwin he just spams thunder bolt.

If a player slipped on a ****ing banana peel they'd report it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tech_God

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Meh. It's the offensive vets sticking up for the rooks. If you can't handle crap like this from your own team, you aren't gking to make it in the NFL. Heck, if our receivers can handle all the shit Sherman gives them, there is no corner in the NFL that can get in their head.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't harvin do some of this in Minnesota? Seemed like I remember him fighting teammates and the coaches getting ticked.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't harvin do some of this in Minnesota? Seemed like I remember him fighting teammates and the coaches getting ticked.

You're getting confused. Corey Pavin (HARVIN/PAVIN close, and Corey's name has 4/5 letters out of his name in Harvins) shot a duck on the 15th hole of the Masters in 97 and then turned the gun of Zoeller for stating that Woods would serve Black Eye Peas at the ceremonial dinner.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh oops I meant he fought his coach in Minnesota.

Chawkdawg

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm probably reading this all wrong, but I think it's great.
I love the fact that our vets are bringing this kind of intensity to a mini camp!! It looks like our boys are ready to go.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm probably reading this all wrong, but I think it's great.
I love the fact that our vets are bringing this kind of intensity to a mini camp!! It looks like our boys are ready to go.

That's what I was thinking. Big money contracts don't seem to have taken the edge from of Sherm and ET.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After seeing some video of it, I'd like to amend what I said a bit. A little smack talk from competitive players in an environment that preaches competition is fine, even if it results in a little pushing and shoving that can be easily broken up. You don't want to see it too much, but you can live with it because it gives the young guys an idea of the type of environment they're stepping into and prepares them for what they're likely to face from opposing teams when the games start. That's all good and nothing to really worry about.

What you'd prefer not to see is multi-player scrums with the potential for rolled up ankles and knees of both the participants and the players that jump in to try to break it up, or something worse. It doesn't sound like anyone came out of this any worse for wear physically, but I have a feeling that if someone had gotten hurt throwing or taking a punch or someone got a foot stepped on and messed up their ankle or knee trying to break it up, we'd be having a completely different discussion about when competitiveness is beneficial and when it becomes detrimental.

Luckily nobody got hurt and they seemed to have talked it out in calmer tones later on, but I hope this is the last time we hear of players on the team coming to blows with each other.