• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is Steve Kerr essentially done in this league?

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well it was plausible before the season started. Barnes was coming off a very good playoff run where he played well. Add to that he's only 24 with tons of upside still being a 4th option on the Warriors and it was a calculated risk. If Barnes would have been able to improve his scoring to somewhere in the 16-17 point range, with all the money going around this off-season it was possible he could have gotten that (again considering upside). Now it's looking like he may have cost himself some money. Or at the very worst, he'll end up getting paid from a non playoff caliber team.

Edit: Lots of Warriors fans prior to this playoffs were really torn on Barnes. Some love him, some hate him. I personally don't think he was worth the original offer the Warriors gave to him, when it happened.
You're probably right, so many GMs are happy to gamble on potential upside rather than actually what is likely to be expected from a player. He'd be far from the first player to be grossly overpaid in the NBA. I have to think GS will be content letting him walk, no?

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're probably right, so many GMs are happy to gamble on potential upside rather than actually what is likely to be expected from a player. He'd be far from the first player to be grossly overpaid in the NBA. I have to think GS will be content letting him walk, no?

Prior to the playoffs, I thought it was a given that the Warriors would be willing to match anything 16M a year or below, since it was what the initially offered him. Now after losing this finals, and with the way Barnes played, they may consider alternative options, even if Barnes is signed to something in that range or a bit lower.

I think if Barnes signs anywhere in the 12M range or less, the Warriors would probably happily match. 16M becomes questionable, and a max definitely not. We're going to see some crazy dollars being thrown around, so I think it's really up in the air at this point.

I know only one thing for sure and it's Lacob and Bob Myers will be EXTREMELY aggressive this off-season. They will have no problems blowing up the team as long as the core of Curry, Klay and Draymond are still on it.

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
San Francisco -- The edge of the western world.
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In all actuality....if Kerr is going to be "done in this league"...it'll be due to the issues with his problematic back and overall physical health moving forward.....not for some of the other reasons that have been posted.

Last edited:

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Prior to the playoffs, I thought it was a given that the Warriors would be willing to match anything 16M a year or below, since it was what the initially offered him. Now after losing this finals, and with the way Barnes played, they may consider alternative options, even if Barnes is signed to something in that range or a bit lower.

I think if Barnes signs anywhere in the 12M range or less, the Warriors would probably happily match. 16M becomes questionable, and a max definitely not. We're going to see some crazy dollars being thrown around, so I think it's really up in the air at this point.

I know only one thing for sure and it's Lacob and Bob Myers will be EXTREMELY aggressive this off-season. They will have no problems blowing up the team as long as the core of Curry, Klay and Draymond are still on it.
I could see them letting a few pieces go, but I also feel like they would definitely want to keep guys like Livingston, Iggy, and even Barbosa around. They're great guys to have on the team, no question.

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I could see them letting a few pieces go, but I also feel like they would definitely want to keep guys like Livingston, Iggy, and even Barbosa around. They're great guys to have on the team, no question.

There's bound to be some massive turnover sometime soon. Iguodala, Bogut and Livingston are signed through next season, but they're all getting up there in age. I could see Barbosa sticking around next year on a vet minimum type deal.

The great thing for the Warriors is that they've become a free agency destination now. Getting guys to come and play with Steph, Klay or Draymond would appeal to 99% of the league. The Warriors do have to plan for Steph's max coming up soon, and will probably have about half of their cap applied to the core three. They'll need at least two solid starters and 3 solid bench players to round out a yearly contender. I think some of the major re-shaping begins this off-season and completes after next. After next year I would imagine they'll have most of the pieces in place to begin a solid 3-4 year window of championship contending.

Hambombs

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't know. I always thought Barnes sucked. And didn't really care for him. Most warriors fans thought he was bad

Hambombs

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's bound to be some massive turnover sometime soon. Iguodala, Bogut and Livingston are signed through next season, but they're all getting up there in age. I could see Barbosa sticking around next year on a vet minimum type deal.

The great thing for the Warriors is that they've become a free agency destination now. Getting guys to come and play with Steph, Klay or Draymond would appeal to 99% of the league. The Warriors do have to plan for Steph's max coming up soon, and will probably have about half of their cap applied to the core three. They'll need at least two solid starters and 3 solid bench players to round out a yearly contender. I think some of the major re-shaping begins this off-season and completes after next. After next year I would imagine they'll have most of the pieces in place to begin a solid 3-4 year window of championship contending.

Batum

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Batum is coming off a career year too, and you'll need to max him. The Warriors don't have enough space to outright max anyone. He would fit very nicely, but just like Durant or any other major free agent, some pieces will have to be moved.

Hambombs

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Batum is coming off a career year too, and you'll need to max him. The Warriors don't have enough space to outright max anyone. He would fit very nicely, but just like Durant or any other major free agent, some pieces will have to be moved.

Sign and trade Barnes and ezeli

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I din't watch a single second of basketball this year, haven't in several years.

But, the 2001 Seattle Mariners say thank you.

Liberal Icon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's exposed for what he is: a fraud.

There was never anything there. We know that now. I predict a rapid demise in Golden State, a stint somewhere desperate and pretentious and silly (like the Knicks, of course) then a two-year stint somewhere like Philly, then either retirement, assistant role to work with shooters or coaching somewhere quiet like Pepperdine.

He's finished.

But I thought he coached them to a historic 73 win regular season and a defending champion? I think it was his overconfidence that did him in having beaten the Cavs in the prior season and leading 3-1 with all the historic implications, it was understandable that his overconfidence stilted his coaching. I will not say Cavs were an inferior team. Any team with LeBron is not an inferior team on a comparative basis.

RazorsEdge

Go Local Sports Team
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,626.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I din't watch a single second of basketball this year, haven't in several years.

One of the all time failures in sports.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's exposed for what he is: a fraud.

There was never anything there. We know that now. I predict a rapid demise in Golden State, a stint somewhere desperate and pretentious and silly (like the Knicks, of course) then a two-year stint somewhere like Philly, then either retirement, assistant role to work with shooters or coaching somewhere quiet like Pepperdine.

He's finished.
Well if he is a complete fraud - what about Luke Walton? Did the Lakers err in picking him up and dumping Byron Scott?

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But I thought he coached them to a historic 73 win regular season and a defending champion? I think it was his overconfidence that did him in having beaten the Cavs in the prior season and leading 3-1 with all the historic implications, it was understandable that his overconfidence stilted his coaching. I will not say Cavs were an inferior team. Any team with LeBron is not an inferior team on a comparative basis.
Personally they had the series wrapped up until Green went for Lebron's jewels and got suspended. We knew they would lose that game, but the Warriors lost Bogut who tried to hard to pick up the pieces Green and went down for good and the Warriors just never recovered. The chemistry just went to the toilet on that one shitty play

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

How willing do you think Lacob will be to go well into the luxury tax area on an annual basis? If they locked up a couple more core pieces on long term deals this year, they could be well over the cap once the time comes to resign Curry.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Fun fact - every team in the 4 major sports that holds the single-season wins record failed to win the title that same year.

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How willing do you think Lacob will be to go well into the luxury tax area on an annual basis? If they locked up a couple more core pieces on long term deals this year, they could be well over the cap once the time comes to resign Curry.

After these last two years, I think he'll be willing to be a repeater so long as the Warriors are in the immediate title conversation. The Warriors have been killing it with the newer fan base, merchandising, season ticket holders. All that extra revenue, plus the expected addition of the new TV deal money, and it will not be as big of a drop in the bucket as it once may have been.

But most importantly, he wants to relocate the Warriors to SF. He has to keep up momentum as a winner in order to keep interest in the team moving to San Francisco a viable option. We recently saw what happened with the Niners when they moved to Santa Clara. The Niners now stink and the season ticket holders and seat licensee's are trying to get rid of everything, losing money in the process.

Lacob would be willing to pay the tax, so long as it's for championship aspirations. I wouldn't expect him to pay the tax if we're topping out as a 2nd round exit team, or less.

Liberal Icon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Personally they had the series wrapped up until Green went for Lebron's jewels and got suspended. We knew they would lose that game, but the Warriors lost Bogut who tried to hard to pick up the pieces Green and went down for good and the Warriors just never recovered. The chemistry just went to the toilet on that one shitty play

Fair enough. But they were the defending champions who had just set the record for most wins in a season, leading 3-1! Draymond went down for 1 game. One game. They were playing at home. They had him back for two more games. Come on.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fair enough. But they were the defending champions who had just set the record for most wins in a season, leading 3-1! Draymond went down for 1 game. One game. They were playing at home. They had him back for two more games. Come on.

Coaches don't get fired in general when they just took a team to the finals two years straight. Last year the Warriors won with small ball because there wasn't any big man that could run - this year Cleveland solved that problem. Any one with a brain should have known the Warriors would have a problem if a couple of big players stepped up and were able to run. That's not a coaching problem - that's a hiring defensive players problem

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Coaches don't get fired in general when they just took a team to the finals two years straight. Last year the Warriors won with small ball because there wasn't any big man that could run - this year Cleveland solved that problem. Any one with a brain should have known the Warriors would have a problem if a couple of big players stepped up and were able to run. That's not a coaching problem - that's a hiring defensive players problem

Wrong.

The problem was Kerr trying to go big too often and Golden State's failure to move the ball. At least 50% of that is on Kerr.

The beginning of the end for GS, IMO was when Kerr came back and started messing with Draymond. I am not sure if it was a direct cause and effect, but the ball movement that made Golden State so awesome at the beginning of the year seamed to get worse when Green starting playing somewhat less agressively.

Was that on Kerr, or was the league starting to get a better idea of how to defend GS? Realistically, I think it was more of the latter, but Kerr is not blameless there either.