• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is Revis done as a #1 CB???

LongtimeRamsFan42

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's early in game 2, but already Revis has already been burnt for another long TD...Are his days as a #1 CB finished???... Is "Revis Island" over???

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's early in game 2, but already Revis has already been burnt for another long TD...Are his days as a #1 CB finished???... Is "Revis Island" over???
It's clear he's lost a step. He's no longer a 1 on 1 CB. He can now be beaten deep. I think he can still play at a high level because of his smarts, but he has to have safety help, or they need to call more zone coverage.

LongtimeRamsFan42

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's clear he's lost a step. He's no longer a 1 on 1 CB. He can now be beaten deep. I think he can still play at a high level because of his smarts, but he has to have safety help, or they need to call more zone coverage.

Agreed, he def can't play against the NFL's best, or even second best, man to man...In a way it seems to be the end of yet another era of CB's...Always a bit sad when the last of a generation of players obviously just can't quite do it at that level...

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed, he def can't play against the NFL's best, or even second best, man to man...In a way it seems to be the end of yet another era of CB's...Always a bit sad when the last of a generation of players obviously just can't quite do it at that level...
Yeah, agreed.

Here in Cincinnati, they had the Jets beat-writer on the radio talking about Revis. He believed he was going to be "back" this year. He said "I've seen the way his legs look, and they've never looked like this. Best shape they've ever been in. Those legs don't lie".

He's wrong. Speed doesn't lie. He may look like he's in great shape, but that doesn't mean he's still got that top end speed, that extra gear, needed to run along side guys 10+ years younger than him, and in their prime.

It's always tough to watch because a lot of times, there's no gradual decline of skill. They go from being one of the best, to being out of the game in the blink of an eye.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eh... everyone can get beat.

Revis got beat up pretty bad week 1. Could've been the pass tonight was just a fluke. I am not watching game but let's get mid season before we call someone 'done'. Whatever though... :rolleyes2:

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eh... everyone can get beat.

Revis got beat up pretty bad week 1. Could've been the pass tonight was just a fluke. I am not watching game but let's get mid season before we call someone 'done'. Whatever though... :rolleyes2:
When you're slow, you're slow.

He looks slow. Once a guy is by him, he has no ability to recover anymore. No closing speed. You are right that it's a long season, but the early returns are not promising at this point. At his age, with the wear and tear on his body, the signs point to him being done as a top tier #1 CB, and point more to him starting down the slope.

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We were having grilled cheese and tomato soup for dinner.

I could smell this toast burning.

Took me a while to realize it was Revis.

LongtimeRamsFan42

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When you're slow, you're slow.

He looks slow. Once a guy is by him, he has no ability to recover anymore. No closing speed. You are right that it's a long season, but the early returns are not promising at this point. At his age, with the wear and tear on his body, the signs point to him being done as a top tier #1 CB, and point more to him starting down the slope.

Have to agree...Either you're the number one guy and you prove it, or you're not...So far, he hasn't proved it...

However, I do have to agree that it is a long season and he does have time to whip into shape...BUT, Does a veteran like Revis REALLY need to be told to show up in shape? I guess we shall see

Tech_God

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Father time will top us all in the end.....

Duffman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,535.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saw this too many times with Champ at the end and it looks like it's happening to Revis now too, he just can't keep up with the speedy receivers any longer.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saw this too many times with Champ at the end and it looks like it's happening to Revis now too, he just can't keep up with the speedy receivers any longer.
Yep.

He's smart and in shape, he'd be great in a zone scheme that would limit his 1-1 coverage, or where they did some over-top help. He's a smart player, and would take advantage of his reaction and smarts by sitting down in zones and reading the QB at this point in his career. It happens to all of them. Those that are smart enough can hang around a few more years in the NFL by finding a defense that fits them. Those who rely soley on their skill-set, go from great to out in a flash.

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I heard Dalton was 8-8 for like 120 yards when throwing at Revis.

TP76

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm just glad the Pats aren't the ones spending $17M/season on him.

Breed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I heard Dalton was 8-8 for like 120 yards when throwing at Revis.

I read AJ Green was targeted 13 times and had 12 catches. I don't know if they were all against Revis, but #1 CB or not. Those aren't the numbers any defense, def secondary, or Def Co wants to see.

Great Dayne

I was right even if you believe I was wrong
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Revis looks like a slot #3 corner at best right now. The guys is on the wrong side of 30 but has lost athleticism rapidly over the last couple years. Damarious Island will start catching on soon. He shutdown the explosive Jag WR's last week and will only get better as a second year player.

The Rock Report: Cornering the market 

VikingFan2k2

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've never heard of a player holding out 3 times. He has to be the only one who ever has.

I have never liked Greedvis. And to finally see him start to wash up is funny as hell.

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any chance that he is the fit for a switch to safety like many good CBs have done at the end of their careers?

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe he has brain damage. Who the fuck gives Goodwin a free run on a fly route? The one thing Goodwin can do is run really fucking fast in a straight line and Revis couldn't stay step for step with him on his best day.

Breed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've never heard of a player holding out 3 times. He has to be the only one who ever has.

I have never liked Greedvis. And to finally see him start to wash up is funny as hell.

Greedy my ass. He was smart to do so as he got paid each time.

Darrelle Revis is great at gaming NFL free agency.

All told, Revis made roughly $84 million in salary over the first eight years of his career, an elite amount for sure, but even more mind-boggling when you consider that the players who were drafted around him signed deals that would only pay them about $15 million over five. Sure, if those players go on to play at Revis's level, they won't be starving, but nobody has gamed the system like Revis.

From 2010-2014, Revis was paid about $69 million from three different teams. When you balance that against the contract that Philip Rivers signed in 2009 that pays him a maximum of $91.8 million from 2010-2015, or the one that pays Eli Manning $97.5 million over that same period of time, you'll see how much Revis has managed to make compared to two franchise quarterbacks.

There are also those detractors that think Revis has always taken too much of a risk by playing his deals year-to-year, or holding out until the last possible second and risk alienating himself from the team, but he's actually outlasted almost every GM -- with the exception of Bill Belichick -- he went toe-to-toe with at the negotiating table. Tannenbaum was fired. Idzik was fired. Mark Dominik, the GM of the Bucs that traded for Revis and gave him a deal that didn't ensure he'd stick around for longer than one season, was also let go. Jets GM Mike Maccagnan has made one hell of a gamble to begin his career; a gamble worth at least $39 million, including $33 million in the first two seasons.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm just glad the Pats aren't the ones spending $17M/season on him.

Same here. I guess BB did actually know what he was doing!