• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is Rashan Gary a bust?

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The guy has played extensively in three preseason games yet has no tackles, sacks or hurries.

LambeauLegs

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,938.22
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Time will tell but hopefully not as it is quite early in his career

Rashan Gary ‘back at it’ and eager for rookie season to start

Gary has played 91 snaps through the first three preseason games, a fairly hefty load, but it was with a purpose. Defensive coordinator Mike Pettine said a week ago he wanted to get him extensive work as he makes the transition from a hand-in-the-ground defensive lineman to stand-up outside linebacker, and the additional responsibilities that come with a new position.

From a two-point stance, Gary said it’s “a different world” but he likes the vision he has of the field, being able to see where blocks are coming from and read the offense better.

In that vein, Pettine noted he’s not concerned with Gary’s lack of statistical production in the preseason (he got his first official tackle in Winnipeg) because the focus has been on learning. The plan has been to hone in on what Gary can do best right away and then put him in that role to make the most of his rookie season.

ellupo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he is a great athlete that did not have good coaching in college.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Packers are typically pretty bad at drafting defenders so wouldn’t be surprised... How many 1st round picks have they thrown at that defense in the last decade and it’s still hot garbage?

Pure Steel

Hoopla Cash
$ 402.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not gonna slam his pro career just yet, but he was a bust at Michigan, just a big name

Agree 100% a bust at Michigan based on his potential and hype....Absolute beast in high school....I followed his career throughout and really never impressed me at Michigan....you can also add Kareem Walker to the list as well......Guy was unreal.....now at a Jr College?

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
come on @Guns N Guitars you're better than this
???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Zero tackles.
Zero games.

Makes sense.

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I suspect Gary will be a bit of a bust in the NFL...but it’s too early to say.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just took this as a troll thread and ignored, but was the OP actually serious?

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just took this as a troll thread and ignored, but was the OP actually serious?
Pretty sure any fan would be a little worried if their 1st Rd pick wasn't performing up to their draft status in meaningless games. They should be giving you glimpses of whats to come.

If Devin Bush was looking lost then I'd be pretty bewildered about it.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would be concerned if a first round pick looked bad in preseason, sure. But calling anyone a bust based on preseason performance is a little much. I'd be more concerned if he has looked bad in all the practices and scrimmages.

I can't say I have kept up with Gary or any Packer's progress, but it sounds like he has had some flashes in camp, just not consistent--just like in college. He was a 'potential' pick like Taco Charlton, and like Charlton, he may indeed bust. But too early to tell.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would also add, as a bit of a reality check, that some players take a few years to adjust to the NFL. When the Eagles drafted Brandon Graham out of Michigan about a decade ago, he was not an immediate impact player, and struggled with some injuries. Guys like Jason Pierre Paul and Earl Thomas were much bigger impact players by comparison, and many people labeled Graham a bust.

Well, looking at it now, Graham has probably had a better career than Pierre Paul, who of course ruined his career with a fireworks accident, though not as good a career as Earl Thomas. He strip sacked Tom Brady for one of the defining plays of the Eagles' first-ever Super Bowl and is still a starting DE on a good team a decade later.

Some guys take a few years. Anyone who drafts a guy like Gary, who wasn't a big college contributor, and expects him to be an immediate impact player in the NFL, is setting unrealistic expectations.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As much as I think he will be a bust...why would you question him a bust when he hasn't even gotten through preseason in his rookie year? Seems strange. Like Igloo said some guys take longer develop and I actually think this is one of those guys, he relied on just being bigger and stronger than kids in high school...his hype carried him through college. He will need to develop more mechanics, if he can't then we can talk about him being a bust...not 3 preseason games into his career.

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would also add, as a bit of a reality check, that some players take a few years to adjust to the NFL. When the Eagles drafted Brandon Graham out of Michigan about a decade ago, he was not an immediate impact player, and struggled with some injuries. Guys like Jason Pierre Paul and Earl Thomas were much bigger impact players by comparison, and many people labeled Graham a bust.

Well, looking at it now, Graham has probably had a better career than Pierre Paul, who of course ruined his career with a fireworks accident, though not as good a career as Earl Thomas. He strip sacked Tom Brady for one of the defining plays of the Eagles' first-ever Super Bowl and is still a starting DE on a good team a decade later.

Some guys take a few years. Anyone who drafts a guy like Gary, who wasn't a big college contributor, and expects him to be an immediate impact player in the NFL, is setting unrealistic expectations.

Not sure it’s accurate to say Graham has has a better career than JPP at this point. JPP fell off for a little while but was still moderately productive the last few years, including registering 12.5 sacks last year.

Plus JPP was also a key figure in the Giants’ 2011 super bowl run. I’m happy that Eagles fans have come to appreciate BG though. I always liked that pick but it started getting hard to defend, especially when they moved him to LB under Chip Kelly. That was brutal.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's fair, just saying that Graham has become a solid player as time has gone on. Yes, Kelly moving him to OLB also kind of stunted his career, as he is not a OLB despite his short stature, he is a 4-3 DE.