• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is Jimmy G in control?

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Barely a cap hit at all actually.
$1, 400,000 is a drop in the bucket for cutting high -priced QB's

".....For a current example, the 49ers, in negotiating the Jimmy Garoppolo contract, took on a first-year cap number of $37 million, very close to the first-year cash number of $40 million. Now, if the 49ers decide to move on from Garoppolo, it will cost them less than $3 million in dead money, a drop in the bucket compared to the $34 million for Wentz and $22 million for Goff. How a team proves itself as cap-savvy is by putting itself in a position to have ultimate flexibility on its roster, never to have to prorate, to put the team in position for sustained success.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
$1, 400,000 is a drop in the bucket for cutting high -priced QB's

".....For a current example, the 49ers, in negotiating the Jimmy Garoppolo contract, took on a first-year cap number of $37 million, very close to the first-year cash number of $40 million. Now, if the 49ers decide to move on from Garoppolo, it will cost them less than $3 million in dead money, a drop in the bucket compared to the $34 million for Wentz and $22 million for Goff. How a team proves itself as cap-savvy is by putting itself in a position to have ultimate flexibility on its roster, never to have to prorate, to put the team in position for sustained success.

....its also a big part of the reason that they will have to release Jimmy and not get any draft picks for him though.

And the reason the money was like it was is the 49ers needed an escape clause because Jimmy G had never started. Had he started even a single season somewhere else that money would have looked a lot different.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah but would they be dumb enough to trade for him? Even IF he is healthy AND the draft is a bust for them?
Jimmy is a good NFL QB. Is he top 10? I'm not in that argument.

"When healthy and on the field, Garoppolo has been a top-level quarterback for Kyle Shanahan and the 49ers. When Garoppolo has started, the 49ers have had a top-five offense in terms of EPA. The problem is that he has only played in more than six regular-season games once in his career. He has a good feel for the game and functions well in Shanahan's offense, but he has a clear ceiling on what he can be.
That being said, I think 10 teams would line up tomorrow to add Garoppolo to their QB room."

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jimmy is a good NFL QB. Is he top 10? I'm not in that argument.

"When healthy and on the field, Garoppolo has been a top-level quarterback for Kyle Shanahan and the 49ers. When Garoppolo has started, the 49ers have had a top-five offense in terms of EPA. The problem is that he has only played in more than six regular-season games once in his career. He has a good feel for the game and functions well in Shanahan's offense, but he has a clear ceiling on what he can be.
That being said, I think 10 teams would line up tomorrow to add Garoppolo to their QB room."

Who the heck has said that??!?!

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
....its also a big part of the reason that they will have to release Jimmy and not get any draft picks for him though.

And the reason the money was like it was is the 49ers needed an escape clause because Jimmy G had never started. Had he started even a single season somewhere else that money would have looked a lot different.
Another team may ask SF to eat some of the contract. That is plausible and common
That would take SF from Eating many millions to eating some millions. How much?
You find out at the negotiating table.

What if Buffalo - in win now mode, were to lose Josh in camp? How much would they be willing to pay for a starting caliber QB that has a career passing percentage of 67.7%

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Bored Episode 15 GIF by The Simpsons

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another team may ask SF to eat some of the contract. That is plausible and common
That would take SF from Eating many millions to eating some millions. How much?
You find out at the negotiating table.

What if Buffalo - in win now mode, were to lose Josh in camp? How much would they be willing to pay for a starting caliber QB that has a career passing percentage of 67.7%

Bills got Case Keenum. And like most teams in the league at this time, couldn't fit Jimmy into their cap space without mortgaging their future even if they wanted to.

The music for the game of QB musical chairs this offseason has stopped. The only one without a chair is now the 49ers. They are going to end up cutting Jimmy now. Or holding onto him. It is really, really unlikely anyone trades for him. The only team still on the market right now for him would be Seattle....or maybe the Panthers. But I highly doubt that the Panthers, who just last year traded basically a slightly different version of Garapolo away in Bridgewater, is going to see a lot of value in Jimmy to the point that they would pay him $24M this coming season. And Seattle isnt going to pay him that.

Basically Jimmy G or Baker M. Both could be had for swap of 5th round picks at this point I would bet if the trading team is willing to take on their contracts. Which of course in both cases is no small feat.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bills got Case Keenum. And like most teams in the league at this time, couldn't fit Jimmy into their cap space without mortgaging their future even if they wanted to.

The music for the game of QB musical chairs this offseason has stopped. The only one without a chair is now the 49ers. They are going to end up cutting Jimmy now. Or holding onto him. It is really, really unlikely anyone trades for him. The only team still on the market right now for him would be Seattle....or maybe the Panthers. But I highly doubt that the Panthers, who just last year traded basically a slightly different version of Garapolo away in Bridgewater, is going to see a lot of value in Jimmy to the point that they would pay him $24M this coming season. And Seattle isnt going to pay him that.

Basically Jimmy G or Baker M. Both could be had for swap of 5th round picks at this point I would bet if the trading team is willing to take on their contracts. Which of course in both cases is no small feat.
You are missing the point. There is no reason to cut him now.

What if the other team paid $100 of his salary - plus picksP What if all his salary except $100?

Why would any GM dump a valuable player now?

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Barely a cap hit at all actually.
It's one of the only good things about Jimmy's deal. It was frontloaded, so after the first 2 seasons, it was really just a year to year deal, where the team could cut him and gain cap space.

I guess at this point might as well keep him
They won't keep him. No way they keep a backup QB that costs 25M. As soon as he passes a physical this spring, the Niners will offer him around and if there are no trade offers, he'll get cut.

Oh, okay. I thought he had a 7.5 mil 2022 base guaranteed if injured. though. Not sure how that works.
Once he passes a physical, he's not "injured", so the 7.5M guarantee doesn't apply. Once he passes that physical, 9ers will cut him and gain 25M in cap space b/c barring some weird injury, I dont' see any team trading for him anymore.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's one of the only good things about Jimmy's deal. It was frontloaded, so after the first 2 seasons, it was really just a year to year deal, where the team could cut him and gain cap space.

They won't keep him. No way they keep a backup QB that costs 25M. As soon as he passes a physical this spring, the Niners will offer him around and if there are no trade offers, he'll get cut.

Once he passes a physical, he's not "injured", so the 7.5M guarantee doesn't apply. Once he passes that physical, 9ers will cut him and gain 25M in cap space b/c barring some weird injury, I dont' see any team trading for him anymore.
He will get offers the day after being cut. It will take time for all the offers to be waded through.

Note: People are still talking to Cam Newton!

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He will get offers the day after being cut. It will take time for all the offers to be waded through.

Note: People are still talking to Cam Newton!
I'm sure teams are dying to have him, as long as it costs zero draft picks and less than 10M. I think Jimmy is gonna be in for some sticker shock when he sees the offers he gets.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sure teams are dying to have him, as long as it costs zero draft picks and less than 10M. I think Jimmy is gonna be in for some sticker shock when he sees the offers he gets.
He has already made good money.
I can't see him not getting offers above $15million. Just my opinion.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are missing the point. There is no reason to cut him now.

What if the other team paid $100 of his salary - plus picksP What if all his salary except $100?

Why would any GM dump a valuable player now?

They cant dump him now because of his injury. I wrote that above.

The reason that the 49ers will cut him before the season starts is that they can save $22M or so in cap space to use in future years. That is too big of a contact for a guy they don't plan on starting. If the 49ers do bring him back this coming season, it will be because they have the intention of starting the season with him and it actually says more about Lance than it does about Jimmy if that happens.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They cant dump him now because of his injury. I wrote that above.

The reason that the 49ers will cut him before the season starts is that they can save $22M or so in cap space to use in future years. That is too big of a contact for a guy they don't plan on starting. If the 49ers do bring him back this coming season, it will be because they have the intention of starting the season with him and it actually says more about Lance than it does about Jimmy if that happens.
Makes more sense but, when teams start talking trade somebody might have a high respect for him than you.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He has already made good money.
I can't see him not getting offers above $15million. Just my opinion.
Yeah, his days of 25 mil are done for sure. I could see a team or two offering him in the 10-12 range as a bridge starter. Maybe up to 15 as you say but only if tgeir plan A gets injured in camp.