• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is Jimmy G in control?

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I wanted the 9ers to start Lance from the get-go. It would've been rough early but I felt like if they could ride the rough seas to start he would've been in a much better place towards the end of the season.

But I didn't hate the decision to go with Jimmy G as letting a raw rookie sit has merit and even if he was more along for the ride they still got to the NFC Championship and maybe a dropped INT from getting to the SB.

It'd be nice if the 9ers get something respectable for Jimmy but chances are once he passes a physical the 9ers will give it one good go to trade him and if they can't they'll just release him.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jimmy Gaprorlrorlrol will just be released. There's a chance someone could trade for him but there's a problem: 1) Jimmy Gpaorrlrorlol sucks, 2) he carries still a $27M cap hit, 3) Jimmy PGoarlrorlrorl sucks.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's only money.. 49ers release him. No one will trade for him!

But I know it will be a massive hit to the cap if he is released

megalodon30

Archduke of Crosstown Busses
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,967.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really? Thought I read it would be... Then if it isn't why the hell are the 49ers keeping him!?!?!

2 NFC Championships in the last 3 years. That’s good insurance if Lance isn’t ready. You could do a heck of a lot worse for a backup than Jimmy G.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really? Thought I read it would be... Then if it isn't why the hell are the 49ers keeping him!?!?!
Seeing if anyone will give a plug nickel for him before they cut him.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just under 9 mil dead cap if they release him is probably the best option. They save about 16 mil. With so many question marks about his shoulder and with over 25 mil for a team to take on, nobody is trading for him imo unless they have a late camp injury and they are desperate. Cheaper options are out there. JimmyG is in that group of guys that can be a bridge for a year but nothing more. Nobody is paying 25+ mil for that.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just under 9 mil dead cap if they release him is probably the best option. They save about 16 mil. With so many question marks about his shoulder and with over 25 mil for a team to take on, nobody is trading for him imo unless they have a late camp injury and they are desperate. Cheaper options are out there. JimmyG is in that group of guys that can be a bridge for a year but nothing more. Nobody is paying 25+ mil for that.
Over the cap says 1.4 deadcap to cut him right now.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He is hurt right now. Had surgery on his shoulder. If the 49ers cut him right now before he passes his physical, they could be on the hook for his entire salary for the upcoming season.

No movement on Jimmy G will come until June/July when he clears his physical.

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
https://ninerswire.usatoday.com/2022/03/02/jimmy-garoppolo-shoulder-surgery-49ers-trade/
March 2nd article by Kyle Madson:

49ers quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo is having surgery on his throwing shoulder. While the procedure should allow him to be at full strength by the start of training camp, there was some question as to why he didn’t have the procedure immediately after the season.

One early theory was that he was trying to crater his trade value to force San Francisco to cut him and allow him to choose his destination as an unrestricted free agent. General manager John Lynch on Wednesday in a press conference gave an answer on why Garoppolo delayed the operation.

“It was one of those injuries where the recommendation from multiple doctors was let’s try rehab first and see if the pain and some of the other symptoms go away,” Lynch said. “And that was the hope obviously, but that wasn’t the case as time went on. And I think in the last couple days, he had another visit where the decision was made to go ahead and have that surgery.”...

At this point the 49ers don't have to pay Garoppolo anything. His contract terms mean he will be due a $600K work-out bonus at some point, in addition to the normal preseason attendance pay that every NFL player on the roster gets, but that isn't imminent. I don't believe the injury or surgery would be severe enough to guarantee any injury clause. At most he could negotiate a few weeks injury settlement, (which he would be unlikely to want because it would keep him away from all NFL camps until it finished. That would hurt his earnings potential in 2022). There is $1.4M in dead money related to money Garoppolo has already been paid. That cap hit will be accounted for by the 49ers this season regardless of where Garroppolo spends the 2022 season. In short, unless the 49ers have an immediate other need for the cap space there is no advantage in releasing Garoppolo. It's better to have Plan B signed on the roster than scrabble around for an alternative should they need it later on. By May or June he may have a trade market. If not and if Lance looks to be ready they can release him then.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Keeping the illusion that he still has value so that someone else might come knocking... Will probably have to wait until after the draft to move him. There are still 4-5 teams looking for QB help that may be willing to trade for him if the draft doesn't go their way.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Keeping the illusion that he still has value so that someone else might come knocking... Will probably have to wait until after the draft to move him. There are still 4-5 teams looking for QB help that may be willing to trade for him if the draft doesn't go their way.

Yeah but would they be dumb enough to trade for him? Even IF he is healthy AND the draft is a bust for them?