• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is Gore a hall of famer?

sjballer03

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Gore will never be a 1st ballot hall of famer, but what's working in his favor is that the RB position is so devalued in today's offenses. Besides him and AP, I don't see any of the current RBs even sniffing the HOF. Once the logjam at the RB position clears with a few of the retired guys getting voted in, Gore might eventually be considered.

snookdad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gore will never be a 1st ballot hall of famer, but what's working in his favor is that the RB position is so devalued in today's offenses. Besides him and AP, I don't see any of the current RBs even sniffing the HOF. Once the logjam at the RB position clears with a few of the retired guys getting voted in, Gore might eventually be considered.

I think if Jamar Charles keeps doing what he has done he's a lock. Shady Mccoy also has a chance. IMO

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does Fred Taylor get in?

If the answer is no, than Gore isn't a HOF'er either.

Sorry, but Gore was never the best player at his position at any point in his career. I've always been a really big Gore fan, but I can't see him being a HOF'er.

People keep saying this, but what does being the best player at your position have to do with getting in? Thurman Thomas was never the best at his position. Neither was Riggins. Marcus Allen wasn't the best RB in the league ever. Michael Irvin was never the best...not even the second best. If you needed to be the best at your position to get, Barry Sanders and Emmit would get in and that is it at RB from that era. Jerry Rice but no other receiver. Aikmen isn't in. That is a crock of shit.

tomikcon1971

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One thing I will say is I believe he gets a huge amount of respect from other players in the league. Every comment is very complimentary. Not saying that makes him a HOF-er.......just an observation.

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All Time Rushing Yard Leaders:

1. Emmitt Smith ------- 18,355 (HOF)
2. Walter Payton------- 16,726 (HOF)
3. Barry Sanders ------ 15,269 (HOF)
4. Curtis Martin-------- 14,101 (HOF)
5. L.D. Tomlinson ----- 13,684
6. Jerome Bettis-- -- -- 13,662
7. Eric Dickerson--- --- 13,259 (HOF)
8. Tony Dorsett--- ----- 12,739 (HOF)
9. Jim Brown - --------- 12,312 (HOF)
10. Marshall Faulk ----- 12,279 (HOF)
11. Edgerrin James ---- 12,246 (HOF)
12. Marcus Allen ------- 12,243 (HOF)
13. Franco Harris ------ 12,120 (HOF)
14. Thur. Thomas------ 12,074 (HOF)
15. Fred Taylor -------- 11,695
16. John Riggins-------- 11,352 (HOF)
17. Corey Dillon-------- 11,241
18. O.J. Simpson ------ 11,236 (HOF)
19. Warrick Dunn ------ 10,967
20. Steven Jackson ---- 10,678
21. Ricky Watters ------ 10,643
22. Jamal Lewis -------- 10,607
23. Thomas Jones------ 10,591
24. Tiki Barber --------- 10,449
25. Eddie George------- 10,441
26. Ottis Anderson----- 10,273
27. Adrian Peterson---- 10,115
28. Ricky Williams------ 10,009
29. Frank Gore-------- 9,967

If Frank has 2 more seasons with the exact same numbers as 2013, he'll have 12,223 career yards, making him 13th all time right behind Marcus Allen. If he can do that, then I think he should be in the discussion for the Hall of Fame, but I don't think he makes it if he ends his career with less than 12,000 yards.

I think he will be a HOF at some point.

I think if he retires as a 12K yards runner, he would be in the first 10 years he is able to be accepted.
I think if he retires with under 12K yards, he would be one of those that enters in 40-50 years from now.

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think he's a hall of famer

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People keep saying this, but what does being the best player at your position have to do with getting in? Thurman Thomas was never the best at his position. Neither was Riggins. Marcus Allen wasn't the best RB in the league ever. Michael Irvin was never the best...not even the second best. If you needed to be the best at your position to get, Barry Sanders and Emmit would get in and that is it at RB from that era. Jerry Rice but no other receiver. Aikmen isn't in. That is a crock of shit.

Championship man, Championships.(Thomas played in enough SBs it must count for a win, idk.) If you aren't the best (or damn close) you need a ring or two. '9ers can solve this problem for Gore. All they have to do is win their last game of the year.

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's not a HOF'r but he's my favorite back. If he has two more very productive years than maybe.

Edit: also loved Roger Craig and Garrison Hearst.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
right now, wouldn't Roger Craig have a better chance of getting in?

after this season, same question.

EaseUrStorm

Chief Imagination Officer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

It can be a problem for getting in though because it's giving you direct comparable players within the same era. He's definitely up there and will be on the fence, but having strong players at the same position within the same era definitely works against him. For Gore, I agree that he'd really need to put up the stats and get up to around 12,000 for any shot. It's not only that he's not the best of the era like Peterson, but there's other direct comparable players at the same position that will come into play that could bump him out, in addition to the elite position players at QB's, OLB's, CB's etc. that should be getting strong preference.

This dude is my favorite player, but I don't know if I could honestly vote him in when all the other names come up.

Otis B. Driftwood

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Loved him as a Cane... respect the hell out of him as a pro. Still plenty of time to make his case for the HOF.

Right now - I'd say no. His book isn't finished though.

DoobieKeebler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
right now, wouldn't Roger Craig have a better chance of getting in?

after this season, same question.

You mean because of the 'Bowls he won as a Niner? Because other than that Gore has more yards, TDs, and a better YPC average, all while having played 1 less season than Craig did.

Craig does have better stats catching the ball, tho.

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At this time Gore is not HOF worthy but his career is not over. I feel he will be in the 9er HOF and have his number retired at one point.

DoobieKeebler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At this time Gore is not HOF worthy but his career is not over. I feel he will be in the 9er HOF and have his number retired at one point.

I think that goes without saying. If SF doesn't win a super bowl while Gore plays for SF I think they'll add him to the Niner HOF as a thank you for the effort he put in during the years that the team was a giant pile of monkey shit, regardless of whether or not he gains another yard for SF.

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that goes without saying. If SF doesn't win a super bowl while Gore plays for SF I think they'll add him to the Niner HOF as a thank you for the effort he put in during the years that the team was a giant pile of monkey shit, regardless of whether or not he gains another yard for SF.
The top RB in rushing yards for the 9ers so I agree. I still remember his 2006 season. What a year he had then but the team still went 7-9 if I remember correctly. I feel they won't renew his contract so his days as a 9er are coming to an end IMO. I hope he gets that ring with the 9ers. Time in running out for that.

charles ponzi

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
If they put RBs in for blocking,

he's a lock - his blitz pickups were phenomenal.

As others have said, he's done what he's done with nothing around him. 8 men in a box and for too many years a moron calling plays (even now with Roman; why was he ignored in the last few plays of the SB).

Yoshi

LOS CATALANES SUPREMA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With the logjam at the RB position for the 49ers along with his contract situation (i.e. do the 49ers bring him back after this season), I'm not sure if Gore can get to 12K yards for his career. Not to mention, in 2013, Gore only had 3 games where he rushed for over 100 yards despite playing behind an offensive line that is stronger suited for the running game as opposed to the passing game.

I say no, unfortunately, although I love what Gore did for this team during the dark ages. His best chance is to play a few years and especially if he wins that elusive Super Bowl ring. However, I would say Roger Craig should be mentioned before Frank Gore.

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Championship man, Championships.(Thomas played in enough SBs it must count for a win, idk.) If you aren't the best (or damn close) you need a ring or two. '9ers can solve this problem for Gore. All they have to do is win their last game of the year.

I agree. But that isn't what the other guy was talking about. I just think that is terrible logic.

It can be a problem for getting in though because it's giving you direct comparable players within the same era. He's definitely up there and will be on the fence, but having strong players at the same position within the same era definitely works against him. For Gore, I agree that he'd really need to put up the stats and get up to around 12,000 for any shot. It's not only that he's not the best of the era like Peterson, but there's other direct comparable players at the same position that will come into play that could bump him out, in addition to the elite position players at QB's, OLB's, CB's etc. that should be getting strong preference.

This dude is my favorite player, but I don't know if I could honestly vote him in when all the other names come up.

In this era though, at RB aside from Peterson, who is clear cut to get in? The only guys being consistently better than Gore are Peterson and then who? shady looks good, as does, charles. lynch wasn't that great until two seasons ago. Gore might not have the best years, but he consistently is up at the top in overall performance. We have to see if some of these other guys are going to keep it up.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
imo he needs 12k min to even have a chance.