• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

iPhone 8

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know man, as someone who's only used Android phones, I'm always having to wait out the time between when the phone starts to take a shit and when I'm eligible to upgrade. On the other hand, I feel like it's pretty common to see people still rocking 4 or 5 year old iPhones...

Maybe Android brands should consider optimizing battery performance with time. Considering that would require them to provide OS updates in general, it's probably asking too much.
I've had my S6 for 3 years on the original battery and it's never turned off. 24/7/365 and still going strong. Only ever charge it at night. Everyone in my family has theirs for at least 2-3 years and we have never had an issue. Can't speak for other droid brands, but the samsungs have always been solid. Changed out one battery and that was my daughters phone after she dropped her phone a few dozen times and ended up damaging the battery in hers on one of her drops.

And changing out batteries isn't expensive or hard, even on the 'sealed' units. ifixit.com sells kits for most phones for do it yourself replacing of those harder to open devices. Most of them you just remove maybe one screw and loosen up the cover with some direct heat and open. I've helped friends replace them, but have helped apple users more than droid. Those apple phones they talk about turning down the speed on can replace their battery for like $30 and that includes the full kit for opening the phone and replacement seals to make it water tight again.

Too many people abandon their phones just because of a battery when it's simple and cheap to replace it.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, FWIW I've found that 'most' iPhone chargers are a higher quality. There are WAY too many cheap crappy micro USB cables and I've seen quite a few premature phone/battery deaths because of them.

TheDayMan

Day Butt Ass the sadgaydayboy
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've had my S6 for 3 years on the original battery and it's never turned off. 24/7/365 and still going strong. Only ever charge it at night. Everyone in my family has theirs for at least 2-3 years and we have never had an issue. Can't speak for other droid brands, but the samsungs have always been solid. Changed out one battery and that was my daughters phone after she dropped her phone a few dozen times and ended up damaging the battery in hers on one of her drops.

And changing out batteries isn't expensive or hard, even on the 'sealed' units. ifixit.com sells kits for most phones for do it yourself replacing of those harder to open devices. Most of them you just remove maybe one screw and loosen up the cover with some direct heat and open. I've helped friends replace them, but have helped apple users more than droid. Those apple phones they talk about turning down the speed on can replace their battery for like $30 and that includes the full kit for opening the phone and replacement seals to make it water tight again.

Too many people abandon their phones just because of a battery when it's simple and cheap to replace it.
I went from a Note 4 to an s7. The Note really started to piss me off. To be fair a new battery would have went a long way, but it also got super laggy, and freeing up space didn't seem to help. The s7's battery tanked after a little more than a year, and I shattered both the front and back, which is my fault obviously, no real complaints about that phone. Before that I had a Motorola that liked to shut itself off and freeze up quite a bit, was real excited to move on from that one. Think it was my first smart phone before that, htc I think, don't remember any real problem with it other than it stopped getting support and updates before my contract (still had contracts at that point) was up.

I know I was exaggerating a bit, you should be able to make any quality device last, but having had devices that get glitchy and enjoying all the frustration that comes with that, I don't think it's too far fetched to buy apple's reasoning, I wasn't exaggerating about knowing people with 5 year old iPhones still going strong. And they get credit (in my book) for actually supporting those devices too. I don't think Google even guarantees you can expect more than a couple years of support for their own devices running stock Android anymore.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I went from a Note 4 to an s7. The Note really started to piss me off. To be fair a new battery would have went a long way, but it also got super laggy, and freeing up space didn't seem to help. The s7's battery tanked after a little more than a year, and I shattered both the front and back, which is my fault obviously, no real complaints about that phone. Before that I had a Motorola that liked to shut itself off and freeze up quite a bit, was real excited to move on from that one. Think it was my first smart phone before that, htc I think, don't remember any real problem with it other than it stopped getting support and updates before my contract (still had contracts at that point) was up.

I know I was exaggerating a bit, you should be able to make any quality device last, but having had devices that get glitchy and enjoying all the frustration that comes with that, I don't think it's too far fetched to buy apple's reasoning, I wasn't exaggerating about knowing people with 5 year old iPhones still going strong. And they get credit (in my book) for actually supporting those devices too. I don't think Google even guarantees you can expect more than a couple years of support for their own devices running stock Android anymore.
Still using my Note 2, damn thing refuses to die.

Mike30142

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What the hell are you guys talking about?

Just kidding. iPhone X here.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

My s3 still works, but sits in a drawer as a backup device I'll probably never use. Should ship it off to a 3rd world country.

I'll buy a s9 in a few weeks just for shits and grins. Nothing wrong with mine, but I'd like the upgraded camera more than anything with the phone itself. It's what Americans do.

As for support, it's the carriers that either do or don't support them eventually, not Samsung. My daughters s5 was still getting updates until a couple of months ago when we upgraded it. I mean I made her keep using it through all those drops and replaced battery so she would learn to better care for one before she got a new one. Damned teenagers. :tsk:

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

What I dislike the most about Samsungs tied to carriers is the bloatware and there always seemed to be applications running in the background that I never wanted to be running that drained the battery. I had a S5 up until October 2016 and at that point the battery was lucky to last half a day with limited use. I loved the fact that it was possible to swap out batteries and SD cards but needing to be tied to an outlet to that extent sucked. I still have it laying around as a backup in case I lose my current phone but as a daily driver it sucks.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What I dislike the most about Samsungs tied to carriers is the bloatware and there always seemed to be applications running in the background that I never wanted to be running that drained the battery. I had a S5 up until October 2016 and at that point the battery was lucky to last half a day with limited use. I loved the fact that it was possible to swap out batteries and SD cards but needing to be tied to an outlet to that extent sucked. I still have it laying around as a backup in case I lose my current phone but as a daily driver it sucks.
It's not unlike buying a computer from HP or Dell with all of the added garbage, but just like those, it's not hard to decrapify. And they all have ways of looking at what is running and make it pretty easy anymore to disable the things you don't want.

TheDayMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My s3 still works, but sits in a drawer as a backup device I'll probably never use. Should ship it off to a 3rd world country.

I'll buy a s9 in a few weeks just for shits and grins. Nothing wrong with mine, but I'd like the upgraded camera more than anything with the phone itself. It's what Americans do.

As for support, it's the carriers that either do or don't support them eventually, not Samsung. My daughters s5 was still getting updates until a couple of months ago when we upgraded it. I mean I made her keep using it through all those drops and replaced battery so she would learn to better care for one before she got a new one. Damned teenagers. :tsk:

Carriers are only part of it, brands provide the initial update. Any google or Samsung device not tied to a carrier will get the original version of their update without the carrier touch. My intention wasn’t necessarily to take up the Apple cause here, but holding out and not letting carriers have any influence on their system was a good move, and definitely a perk for Apple users.

I didn’t realize Samsung was still updating and supporting back to at least the s5, I do know google isn’t providing such support for their devices though.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just watched it, not impressed. Was really looking forward to what thhey would do with the new phone. Here's my take:

8, 8+ and X revealed
8 gets better camera, glass back, new color, and wireless charging, processor for augmented reality
8+ gets the same, but dual cameras and a better photo processing capability
X gets all of that, new OLED screen, facial recognition, no home button

Overall, very underwhelmed. Not sure what I was expecting, but the X looks like any other generic Android shit. I couldn't wait to see what my next phone would look like, but now I'm still wondering. There was nothing there that makes me want to spend $999 for it.

Basically they keep giving "better screen" and "better camera" when the ones I have on my current 6 is just fine. Give me something like a shatterproof screen, more storage, something that innovates. There is literally nothing here that is an innovation, it's just a slight improvement over what was put out 10 years ago.

I know this is an old thread, but cell phones is getting ready to be on my plate again...I'm an Apple guy now largely because their stuff (ipad, iphone, ipod) syncs up really well...aside from texting, email, talking and maybe 4 or 5 apps, I'm never going to push one of these devices to the limit.

I'm hearing my 6+ is in for a major slow down in about 6 months...an ATT store guy says it's going to slow down...we'll see what they mean by slow down, but if (I should say when) it happens, I've already decided to spend the least amount and get the 8+...not bothering with the X unless they come way down in price.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know this is an old thread, but cell phones is getting ready to be on my plate again...I'm an Apple guy now largely because their stuff (ipad, iphone, ipod) syncs up really well...aside from texting, email, talking and maybe 4 or 5 apps, I'm never going to push one of these devices to the limit.

I'm hearing my 6+ is in for a major slow down in about 6 months...an ATT store guy says it's going to slow down...we'll see what they mean by slow down, but if (I should say when) it happens, I've already decided to spend the least amount and get the 8+...not bothering with the X unless they come way down in price.
Thought apple already faced enough heat that they were backing off and giving customers a way to avoid the forced slow down?

If so, then your 6 should work well for as long as it works well.

Maybe just put a new battery in it and keep on going.

iPhone 6s Plus Replacement Battery (616-00045) New / Fix Kit

They make easy to use kits for pretty much every phone, sealed or not. Plenty of videos on how to open the 6 line and replace the battery and still seal it back up to the same protection level.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thought apple already faced enough heat that they were backing off and giving customers a way to avoid the forced slow down?

If so, then your 6 should work well for as long as it works well.

Maybe just put a new battery in it and keep on going.

iPhone 6s Plus Replacement Battery (616-00045) New / Fix Kit

They make easy to use kits for pretty much every phone, sealed or not. Plenty of videos on how to open the 6 line and replace the battery and still seal it back up to the same protection level.

Good to know...after all, the AT&T guy is in the business of selling phones.

TheDayMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good to know...after all, the AT&T guy is in the business of selling phones.
Think I read that Apple is replacing batteries in 6 and newer phones for like $30 in response to the whole battery stowage deal. Might want to look into that if you don’t want to do it yourself.