• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Iowa QB Jake Rudock's waiver approved by B10 - will transfer to Michigan

HuskerinBig10

Dad, World Traveler, Investor, college football
Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It does tell you something that so many QBs want to play under Harbaugh.

What it tells me is that a lot of QBs see opportunity to play there, which means, none of the QBs think that the other QBs are any good.

Rudock might actually be transferring for education opportunities and to have a Michigan transcript. Rudock is not a dummy.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not many top rated ones...

I don't know about that.

Harbaugh has picked up 4 Qb's since he's been here (3 if you don't count keeping Malzone in the class).

O'Korn had some pretty ridiculous stats as a freshman at Houston. He had 28 touchdowns in a season and went for over 3000 yards. Gentry was a top 5 QB recruit (top 150 player) and was previously committed to Texas -- yes please. and now Rudock. A solid 5th year senior that gives us a safety net.

If you add in Malzone, Michigan got two of the top 10-ish pro-style QB's in the 2015 class.

The transfers are a little harder to judge. Their recruiting profiles were not so great, but both have proven themselves to be solid D-1 prospects.

Put it this way, Harbaugh landed two QB prospects in the 2015 class -- both ranked higher than Ohio State's two QB prospects.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What it tells me is that a lot of QBs see opportunity to play there, which means, none of the QBs think that the other QBs are any good.

Rudock might actually be transferring for education opportunities and to have a Michigan transcript. Rudock is not a dummy.

It doesn't necessarily mean the transfering QB's think the others are bad. It just means they see a wide open QB spot at a major school like Michigan. I can't imagine any of them except for Shane and Speight have any idea how good the rest of the group is.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So are they pulling Morris's scholarship, otherwise you need to count him. Also Michigan is still recruiting QB's so you need to count at least one more QB for that on your 2016 roster.

I'm mostly saying that if Morris doesn't start this year, he's pretty much useless to us. He has 2 years of eligibility left and if Rudock does start this year, I doubt Morris will beat out the rest of the Qb's at that point next year.

umichgradfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not many top rated ones...

Well, let's see. . .

Ohio State QBs: Michigan QBs:
Cardale Jones 3* Shane Morris 5*
JT Barrett 4* Alex Malzone 4*
Braxton Miller 4* Jake Rudock 3*

It comes down to coaching, doesn't it?

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, let's see. . .

The next argument that's coming is obivious -- I'd take any of their 3 QB's over any of our QB's and that Jim Harbaugh didn't recruit any of the QB's you listed. Malzone was coming no matter who we got as head coach.

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Iowa always had long impressive drives that led to zero pts last yr

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Iowa always had long impressive drives that led to zero pts last yr
Yeah, but does that reflect on one individual (the QB) or does that reflect on Iowa being Iowa? You can have 1 good player on your team but still have a team that sucks.

ellupo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, let's see. . .

That's true, is Harbs a good QB coach? Can he develop talent? I think Luck would have been great no matter where he went. Harbs just does not have a track record yet of developing that talent. Maybe he can but so far the class is Eh.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's true, is Harbs a good QB coach? Can he develop talent? I think Luck would have been great no matter where he went. Harbs just does not have a track record yet of developing that talent. Maybe he can but so far the class is Eh.

To be fair, he does have a history of developing talent -- just not a very long one. Just because a kid is highly ranked out of HS doesn't mean he's going to turn into a franchise NFL QB. See Pryor, Morris and Gardner.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, but does that reflect on one individual (the QB) or does that reflect on Iowa being Iowa? You can have 1 good player on your team but still have a team that sucks.
Is the talent that much better at Michigan? You lost your only receiving threat and have no running game. Iowa at least made a bowl game last year.

ellupo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be fair, he does have a history of developing talent -- just not a very long one. Just because a kid is highly ranked out of HS doesn't mean he's going to turn into a franchise NFL QB. See Pryor, Morris and Gardner.

Luck was different than all of them. He had what it took for college the minute he walked on the field.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is the talent that much better at Michigan? You lost your only receiving threat and have no running game. Iowa at least made a bowl game last year.

This is a complicated question. Obviously we were the worse team because of our record. But I do believe we were a more talented team. I do believe Michigan has far more potential stars on it than Iowa does. But Iowa had the better coach with a long proven history of getting the most out of his kids. Hoke got the least out of his players while Ferentz was getting more than he should have out of them. That is the difference. Put it this way, if Ferentz was coaching Michigan last year, I believe Michigan would have been the better team compared to Iowa.

We lost Funches, who turns out to have been injured all year. But that doesn't mean he was our only threat. It just means we had a poorly coached QB who couldn't hit other targets, always locked onto one -- and that one was injured all year but our coach kept him in anyway.

There are a lot of problems with our game and fundamentals -- which is why Hoke got fired. I'm not willing to believe that our pretty large group of highly ranked running backs are all just busts, our pretty large group of highly ranked QBs are all just busts, our pretty large group of Offensive lineman are all just busts and the rest of the highly ranked kids on our team are just all busts.

If it were one kid, then fine -- maybe they're a bust. But to have this pattern of under performing highly ranked kids leads me more to coaching than it does lack of talent. And that's why we hired Harbaugh.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is a complicated question. Obviously we were the worse team because of our record. But I do believe we were a more talented team. I do believe Michigan has far more potential stars on it than Iowa does. But Iowa had the better coach with a long proven history of getting the most out of his kids. Hoke got the least out of his players while Ferentz was getting more than he should have out of them. That is the difference. Put it this way, if Ferentz was coaching Michigan last year, I believe Michigan would have been the better team compared to Iowa.

We lost Funches, who turns out to have been injured all year. But that doesn't mean he was our only threat. It just means we had a poorly coached QB who couldn't hit other targets, always locked onto one -- and that one was injured all year but our coach kept him in anyway.

There are a lot of problems with our game and fundamentals -- which is why Hoke got fired. I'm not willing to believe that our pretty large group of highly ranked running backs are all just busts, our pretty large group of highly ranked QBs are all just busts, our pretty large group of Offensive lineman are all just busts and the rest of the highly ranked kids on our team are just all busts.

If it were one kid, then fine -- maybe they're a bust. But to have this pattern of under performing highly ranked kids leads me more to coaching than it does lack of talent. And that's why we hired Harbaugh.
The problem is you need to turn around your offensive line, wide receivers, and running backs all in a month and a half of practice for you to have any idea with THIS quarterback.

I think there is just too much wrong with Michigan to do a complete turn around year one. Haven't even gotten to your defense which would get him more opportunities to get the ball. I think an 8-4 season is about the ceiling for this team this season, if Harbaugh is a miracle worker.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem is you need to turn around your offensive line, wide receivers, and running backs all in a month and a half of practice for you to have any idea with THIS quarterback.

I think there is just too much wrong with Michigan to do a complete turn around year one. Haven't even gotten to your defense which would get him more opportunities to get the ball. I think an 8-4 season is about the ceiling for this team this season, if Harbaugh is a miracle worker.

I don't know, the offensive line was getting better last year. WRs and RBs should have natural skills that we can exploit and the real problem is just developing a QB; something a grad transfer helps a lot with. Though, I suspect Harbaugh will get one of the 3 current QB's in shape to be game ready by fall no matter how good Rudock turns out to be. From practice reports, most groups have seen significant improvement just in these few weeks and all of them have 5 months to get ready for fall.

I'd disagree in thinking that 8-4 is the ceiling this year; especially now that we have a safety net in Rudock. I expect something like 8-4 or 9-3, but I don't think that's where we max out.

Looking at the schedule, I think we could easily be 5-1 heading into the MSU game; 6-0 if we beat Utah...something I'll believe when I see it. And then, of the remaining B10 games, Minnesota, Rutgers, Indiana and Penn State are all very very winnable games. We have a pretty easy schedule this year. We only play 3 ranked teams and OSU/MSU at home. And for that, I think we have a good shot at a decent record in year 1. We could do better if Harbaugh develops a QB beyond expectations or one of the freshman turns out to have a natural gift.

And lastly, our defense should be good again. They should be capable of keeping us in most games.

Last edited:

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know, the offensive line was getting better last year. WRs and RBs should have natural skills that we can exploit and the real problem is just developing a QB; something a grad transfer helps a lot with. Though, I suspect Harbaugh will get one of the 3 current QB's in shape to be game ready by fall no matter how good Rudock turns out to be. From practice reports, most groups have seen significant improvement just in these few weeks and all of them have 5 months to get ready for fall.

I'd disagree in thinking that 8-4 is the ceiling this year; especially now that we have a safety net in Rudock. I expect something like 8-4 or 9-3, but I don't think that's where we max out.

Looking at the schedule, I think we could easily be 5-1 heading into the MSU game; 6-0 if we beat Utah...something I'll believe when I see it. And then, of the remaining B10 games, Minnesota, Rutgers, Indiana and Penn State are all very very winnable games. We have a pretty easy schedule this year. We only play 3 ranked teams and OSU/MSU at home. And for that, I think we have a good shot at a decent record in year 1. We could do better if Harbaugh develops a QB beyond expectations or one of the freshman turns out to have a natural gift.

And lastly, our defense should be good again. They should be capable of keeping us in most games.
Do you really believe that they would report that there was little improvement by the players? Every year under Hoke there was reports of HUGE improvements and it never showed on the field. I know Harbaugh is a new coach but does change that these are all the same people making the same claims of improvements.

Michigan has two tough OOC games in BYU and @Utah. Both very losable games. That's not including Oregon State. Very easily two losses there. Michigan State and Ohio State are probably 80+% both loses despite being home games. Michigan could just as easily miss a bowl game as they are to win 9 games.

The defense gave up 22.4 points per game with an easy schedule, this year is going to be tougher.

ellupo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree. I think the only "for sure" losses which none really ever are, are the MSU and tOSU games. The team still has a great deal of talent and its all about putting that together. With 6 games heading into the MSU game that should give the team plenty of time to figure things out.

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Forgot about O'Korn. He's the Houston transfer. But he can't play this year.

I'm interested to see how he does at MI. Despite a strong freshman season in '13, particularly against inferior defenses, he wasn't really a great fit with UH's offense. I also don't think he was coached particularly well there. I assume Harbaugh will run a pro-style offense that could be a good fit for O'Korn.